Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you know this about Chris Cooley?

thinker

Gil Brandt on NFL.com indicated that Cooley is a "very good deep snapper." Although Ethan Albright has been great and counts only as the vet minimum, if Cooley can replace him as deep snapper then that could free up another roster spot for a position player or a prospect we want on the team.

:D

I don't have a problem with a move to get another pick in the draft and while I would have preferred a focus on defense if Cooley is that much of a 'sleeper' then great.

But the compensation bothers me. You usually have to pay some premium if you are not giving your trade partner another pick in the current draft, but a #2 for a #3?

In my opinion the #2 selections are the best picks in the draft. You often have the chance to grab a guy who might have been a #1 and who has legitimate NFL skills for a much reduced price.

When you look at the Patriots and Titans, teams that have been consistent postseason participants in recent seasons, you see how many #2 picks they stockpile.

This is the standard cost for trading a pick this year for one from next year - a one round bump up. The general idea is that a 3rd rounder with a year of NFL experience is as valuable as a 2nd round rookie - and you get an extra player for a year. We got Russ Grimm that way - trading a #1 in the following year for a #2 in the current year to pick up Russ.

Are we sure that Cooley is a guy that with a year of experience is worth what we would get at say the 50's in the 2005 draft?

I read his draft bio and if after his private workout the Skins like him that much, fine. I guess I didn't realize how much of a need position HB/TE was for the club at this point.

I would have thought Rasby, Royal at TE with Kozlowski and Sellers at HB would have been a good mix for 2004.

The fact that we were apparently VERY close to taking Winslow is an indication of how Gibbs values the HB position and his desire to improve on what we have there now. Cooley would seem to be your basic poor man's Winslow. I think when you identify players who you really like and have a chance to get them you do it. It's true that pick next year could be a guy we really want next year. But getting a guy you really like this year is generally a much better risk than imaging into the future and trying to guess who you might get in 2005 - somewhere, hopefully very late, in the 2nd round.

I agree with you Bulldog. In fact if I were a team with 2 #1 picks, I would always trade one of them for another team's 2 that year and next years 1, and repeat the process every season. Once started, you'd get an extra 2 every year for a one time investment of a 1. Dallas could take this approach now by simply dropping back 20 spots yesterday.

I guess my ideal scenario would have been to get a player similar to Cooley's caliber in the 5th round without having to give up a second round selection in next year's draft.

It is a good thing that Gibbs likes the guy and actually made a conscious effort to move up and attain his services. I hope he makes a contribution next season as well as beyond. :)

Archived