Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How Do You Rate The Washington Draft So Far?

So good so far, however I would like to see us pick up a few D-lineman if only to provide depth. Its doubtful we'll find an immediate starter in the 5th and 6th but getting a wide body that's capable of plugging the middle would be greatly beneficial.

If you're just looking at the guys we picked this weekend, its nice. Taylor is going to start and hopefully we've got the right defense for him and Lavar to just blow up.

Cooley.....I think he could start. If he comes in and becomes the smart H-Back we need.....then taking Taylor will look like a smart smart move. We had 2 ways to go in the 1st round and it looks like in the 1st DAY, we were able to add 2 starters.

that's a plus in my book. I look forward to a lot of blue collar work from Gibbs and Co.

Originally posted by IronMike

Cooley is a good, solid pick, but we overpaid to get him. A #2 next year is way too pricey, IMHO.

We essentially gave up a second next year for a third this year. Its very common place to see a higher pick in next year's draft for a lower pick in THIS year's draft.

Well, the Skins finally decided to invest in safety after having perhaps the worst group of safeties in the NFC East over the past 10 years :)

On the other side, ignoring the DL in the move to get a pick at #3 for a TE/HB to me seems like tap dancing around the greatest remaining need area.

Maybe #5 and #6 will net us something for the future at DE or DT.

old glory/oldskool...been dieing to ask this...the results from yesterday's draft suggest that the dl prospects just weren't that highly thought of - or, perhaps better put, there was a lot more value in other prospects/positions. while I agree we need better talent up front....how do you assess yesterday's weather vane?

Originally posted by GloryDays2k4

:laugh: Cooley was a great move, he has the right attitude for the position instead of KW2 who is a "feed me" player. Taylor was a no brainer IMO. He is simply a beast.

Yea, I'm excited about Cooley too. Those Mormon kids can play the TE position: Heap, Chad Lewis, Doug Jolley, Itula Mili and now Cooley, seems like he is following a strong tradition of Mormon TE's. Should be interesting.

the one thread running through all the players the Redskins selected was physical play and mental toughness :)

also we didn't draft any undersized players as the organization had wont to do in the past.

Taylor is big, Cooley is big and the two tackles are 310.

With Gibbs and Bugel looking at the OL talent, I don't have a problem with taking the tackles at #5 and #6.

We are going to have to focus on a deal or post June 1 free agency to get some depth for the DL, though.

The good: they've made some solid choices with their few picks.

The bad: they needed to since they give away prime draft choices like mints on a hotel pillow. Already no 2nd rounder in '05, and its still early.

The ugly: still...yet again...no top young talent for the DL :cuss:

Guest Xtrmskn04

I think the skins did a very ggod job with the draft. Considering we only started off with one first day pick, we were able to potentially upgrade two positions (safety and TE). After the draft (and we still haven't seen all of the potential UDFA's), our offense is in very good shape. We are not pretty deep at every spot. We are deep at QB, TE, WR, RB and OL. I don't see injuries being a huge conern this year. We should have adequate backups on offense. Switching to Defense, we are now solid and deep and LB, CB and Safety. The only remaining question mark is DLine. I have to then say that although many (including myself) have questions about the Dline, we have added Noble, Upshaw, Daniels and Griffin in the past two years. Remember most of Dline was aquired recently and really haven't had time to play together. Noble didn't even get a chance to play at all really. So lets give our coaches some benefit of the doubt here. We aren't dealing with the spurrier regime with no nfl experience. We have assembled one the most experienced coaching staffs in the league. If Noble is healthy and can play by September, we will have Noble and Griffin in the middle which is not a bad group. Then we still have wynn, upshaw, daniels etc on the ends. I do think that with the flexibility of Wynn and Daniels, we could effectively use our LB's to put pressure on the QB. This is where the depth of our LB's comes in. Overall, I think we have come a long way in a short period of time. Remember what our team looked like four months ago?? How much can we really expect?

I love this draft for the picks we had. The drafting of Taylor will move Bowen to his natural position and we will have two hard hitting safetys. This is going to be huge. The drafting of Cooley will allow us to get rid of Sellers who really has done squat with us, thus it is a vast improvement. Look to get some DL on June 1st when we cut the useless Trotter.

Day One was a definite A, Day Two was a D in my opinion. Not that we took O-Linemen (although I was disappointed we didn't draft defense) but the guys we took were rated lower than many guys still on the board.

These ratings are not my opinion but based on those of Scouts, Inc.

Originally posted by RedskinGodfather

This is going to be huge. The drafting of Cooley will allow us to get rid of Sellers who really has done squat with us, thus it is a vast improvement. Look to get some DL on June 1st when we cut the useless Trotter.

What? Sellers was just signed in the offseason after a two year hiatus from the team. Of course he has done squat with us considering he's been around for like two months. BTW, June 1st cuts are the refuse of the league.

Originally posted by fansince62

old glory/oldskool...been dieing to ask this...the results from yesterday's draft suggest that the dl prospects just weren't that highly thought of - or, perhaps better put, there was a lot more value in other prospects/positions. while I agree we need better talent up front....how do you assess yesterday's weather vane?

Thanks for asking.

The Pats thought enough of Wilfolk to select him and make him the starter in the middle. The Pats use multiple defenses (3-4 & 4-3 defenses)

If the world champs say that Wilfolk is a run stuffer and can start for them, then I know that he was good enough for us too.

Greg Williams wants to run 3-4 and 4-3 defenses to and Wilfolk right in the middle would have been perfect for a 3-4 and Wilfolk next to Griffin would have been great in a 4-3.

Griffin isn't all that big and he needed someone like Wilfolk next to him.

And the excuse of "there not being anyone worthy of taking in the first round" is an old excuse. I"ve heard it from various skins posters for the last 5 years. I'm not buying it.

I think we did the best we could on draft day. Who knows how things will pan out...however there must have been scrub D linemen left cause Gibbs opted to draft O linemen with the 5,6 pick. Interesting moves but im sure we will address the D line after June 1st. With what money and to what extent I dont know. Maybe im in denial!!!

Archived