Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Tony Kornhesier saying?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32564-2004Apr21.html

SO what is Tony really trying to say here?

After reading his column this morning, i get the feeling that Kornheiser dislikes Coaches Gibbs. He might not be direct but some of his points led me to believing that he is not a big fan of coach Gibbbs.

There is one part where he says "People here are utterly convinced Gibbs will turn water into wine. The reasoning goes like this: If Bill Parcells can take a 5-11 Dallas team and spin it into 10-6 with mostly the same bad players, imagine what Gibbs will do with players he really likes. Like Mark Brunell and Clinton Portis." then follows by sying "The reason Washington thinks like this is because Gibbs really is good" (you are not the only that knows how good Gibbs is)

Hey Kornheiser, we redskins fan do not think Gibbs will do well because parcell has been successful........ so please stop talking for the rest of us and second brunell, and portis are good to have but im sure Gibbs can do it with other talents as he has shown in the past winning super bowls with 3 different qbs Rbs.

I like reading Tony's columns but he is very pessimistic and in someways i understand but this is Gibbs we are talking about. Tony is a smart man and if he doesnt understand what Gibbs is all about, i am sorry but Tony needs to be reintroduced to Gibbs.

Tony also needs to be reintroduced to those 3 lombardi trophies that he apparently forgot about.

By Tony Kornheiser

Thursday, April 22, 2004; Page D01

Here's the way I think the NFL draft will go for the Washington Redskins:

The Danny will spend the next couple of days trying to trade up to get the highest possible pick in the first round. This is so he can take this behemoth offensive lineman out of Iowa, Robert "How Could My Parents Not Name Me Art" Gallery, who weighs something like 480 pounds, and who is so huge that when he gets injured he has to be carted off the field in a city bus! Snyder wants this guy because in the event Gallery doesn't make it as an NFL lineman the Redskins can use him as a tool shed.

(Oh, at each report of yet another phone call The Danny makes to move up in the draft, Vinny Cerrato will knock down the story by calling the phone call "a belated April Fool's Day joke." Until someone points out that three weeks into April we're a lot closer to Arbor Day, and Cerrato begins calling Snyder's phone calls "anticipatory Arbor Day jokes.")

By the day of the draft Snyder will have worked himself into a fever at not being able to move up. Frustrated, Snyder will desperately want to do something so bold and splashy everybody will take notice. (Something other than raising ticket prices and announcing the creation of 5,000 new seats above the upper rim of FedEx Field suspended from a blimp.) So with the No. 5 overall pick The Danny will attempt to draft Maurice Clarett.

And of course this will look particularly stupid because not only is Clarett not very good -- but unless Ruth Bader Ginsburg has taken the under on his appeal Clarett won't even be eligible for the draft. The Redskins may as well draft Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia. Or a ****er spaniel.

With the 15-minute clock running out The Danny will reiterate the Redskins' commitment to youth, and announce the player they're drafting is so young and so good, he will be in the starting lineup right away -- Freddy Adu!

This will be greeted by shock and dismay throughout Washington. Until Joe Gibbs saunters to the podium, and after laughing that nutty new laugh of his -- that seems to come out of nowhere, like Gibbs is just now, in 2004, reacting to a joke George Carlin told in 1981 -- Gibbs pronounces Adu "exactly what the Redskins need. You won't have to wait until the 61st minute to see Freddy in burgundy and gold."

Then everybody is happy. There's rejoicing in the streets. Because Coach Gibbs approves of Freddy Adu. Right now all anybody asks for is Gibbs's blessing. Right now Gibbs can do no wrong. If Gibbs drafts a urologist in the fifth round and a live goat in the sixth round, people will swoon. Because everybody in town says the same thing about Gibbs: "He's a genius."

It's like Jerry Lewis in France, except we don't have to sit through "The Nutty Professor."

People here are utterly convinced Gibbs will turn water into wine. The reasoning goes like this: If Bill Parcells can take a 5-11 Dallas team and spin it into 10-6 with mostly the same bad players, imagine what Gibbs will do with players he really likes. Like Mark Brunell and Clinton Portis.

The reason Washington thinks like this is because 1) Gibbs really is good, and 2) this is April. Over the last few years no team in the NFL has looked better in April than the Redskins. April is the month when Deion Sanders looked quickest; Dana Stubblefield looked most menacing; Bruce Smith looked sleekest; Trung Canidate looked fastest; Jeff George looked sharpest; Jeremiah Trotter looked invincible; Marty Schottenheimer looked large and in charge; Danny Wuerffel looked promising; and Steve Spurrier looked like a genius.

The Redskins look their best in April; they look like world beaters in April. If the Super Bowl was played in April, the Redskins would have so many Lombardi trophies that The Danny would have permanent possession of the Lombardi family. (And he'd create new seats for them in what used to be the parking lot, but is now is designated for "stadium seating on the asphalt lawn," and comes with tailgate privileges and periscope rental at a nominal fee.)

But then September rolls around and the Redskins don't look so good. Instead of a Lombardi Trophy, they get a Lumbago Trophy. And you look around and Stubby is gone and Deion is gone, and one after another Norv, Marty and Spurrier are gone. (And their best pass defender, Champ Bailey, couldn't wait to jump ship; their promising quarterback, Patrick Ramsey, spent the winter angling to be traded, and the best player they have, LaVar Arrington, is suing the owner! It gives them a real family feel, huh? Like the Sopranos.) Yet there has never been so much optimism here. And that is all because of Gibbs.

It's amazing that such a cynical town has greeted Joe Gibbs with such a lack of cynicism and scrutiny. Everybody says the same thing: "He'll turn it around." Nobody seems to mention that he hasn't coached in 12 years, and that he raided AARP for most of his assistants. Nobody seems to be concerned that there's a salary cap, and the free agent rules have changed. Nobody seems to worry about The Danny's buzzard's luck with coaches. It's a town that eats icons for breakfast. Ask George Bush what it's like to live here lately. Ask Howard Dean what it's like to want to live here. (While you're at it, ask Jerry Stackhouse about those eight-day rental weeks. And ask The Danny how many millions a club seat is going to cost in 2007.) But everybody looks at Joe Gibbs and says, "He'll turn it around." Say it loud and there's music playing. Say it soft and it's almost like praying.

Originally posted by skinsfanforlife

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32564-2004Apr21.html

SO what is Tony really trying to say here?

After reading his column this morning, i get the feeling that Kornheiser dislikes Coaches Gibbs. He might not be direct but some of his points led me to believing that he is not a big fan of coach Gibbbs.

There is one part where he says "People here are utterly convinced Gibbs will turn water into wine. The reasoning goes like this: If Bill Parcells can take a 5-11 Dallas team and spin it into 10-6 with mostly the same bad players, imagine what Gibbs will do with players he really likes. Like Mark Brunell and Clinton Portis." then follows by sying "The reason Washington thinks like this is because Gibbs really is good" (you are not the only that knows how good Gibbs is)

Hey Kornheiser, we redskins fan do not think Gibbs will do well because parcell has been successful........ so please stop talking for the rest of us and second brunell, and portis are good to have but im sure Gibbs can do it with other talents as he has shown in the past winning super bowls with 3 different qbs Rbs.

I like reading Tony's columns but he is very pessimistic and in someways i understand but this is Gibbs we are talking about. Tony is a smart man and if he doesnt understand what Gibbs is all about, i am sorry but Tony needs to be reintroduced to Gibbs.

Tony also needs to be reintroduced to those 3 lombardi trophies that he apparently forgot about.

Dude, no disrepect.....but who cares? He's entitled to whatever opinion he may have. Let's stop being naive here....not everyone is a Redskins fan and dare I say it.......a Joe Gibbs fan:2cents:

All he is saying is we haven't seen anything yet. Tony likes Gibbs but is hesitant on how he can do from being out so long. Remember Vermeil did the same thing when he came back brought back the gang and didn't do to well the first 2 years. Then he got rid of all the old assistants and they took off.

I love the part about Danny selecting Clarett :laugh: and then Adu :laugh:

Originally posted by Conrad87

Dude, no disrepect.....but who cares? He's entitled to whatever opinion he may have. Let's stop being naive here....not everyone is a Redskins fan and dare I say it.......a Joe Gibbs fan:2cents:

You just said he is entitled to his opinion. well what about me. im just stating mine. You gotta problem with it?

besides, im not bashing Kornheiser, its more like a debate and im countering his column because most of it i disagree with.

You just said he is entitled to his opinion. well what about me. im just stating mine. You gotta problem with it?

besides, im not bashing Kornheiser, its more like a debate and im countering his column because most of it i disagree with.

Well if it is a debate say something creative instead of why is he doing this, counter with something to show your point :doh:

I just think he's commenting on a very true and odd trend. That to Skins fans Gibbs is God...and that anything Gibbs is willing to do we would follow. He goes over the top to make his point...but you know, you do have to wonder if we'd make excuses for Gibbs if he did want to start Freddy Adu. ...I'm sure there'd be more than a few people on this board who would.

If anything I think Tony's point is that even with Gibbs we might struggle for awhile...and he is just warning people of that. I didn't get that he was bashing Gibbs at all.

Originally posted by jbooma

Well if it is a debate say something creative instead of why is he doing this, counter with something to show your point :doh:

Did u not read my inital post? Man u got some serious issue. learn to read and convey messages before u type. It might make more sense but then again u thought nothing of Kornheisers column so you are hopeless. There is a reason why he wrote that column. Try to use your head and think for once what Kornheiser is trying to convey in his column. Dont just read it. assess, disect, ...........watching this moron go back read and actually try to ..........

you my man is what we call a MOOK. hahhhhhahahahah

Anyway slobberknockin felt the samw way i did so u see only intelligent people can see what Kornhesier is really saying.

Did u not read my inital post?

Wll this is what I read:

Kornheiser was also mocking Gibbs laugh.

Did you get that part? I know it was a prelude to george collins reference but what was that all about?

I saw the first post and notice you don't seperate the article from your words. You know there is a

quote tag
most sane and intelligent people would use to seperate your own words with the article ;)

And like the other person said , chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, it is just Tony K.

By the way Tony knows a lot more then us about Gibbs because he wrote articles about the skins when Gibbs was here. You know he might have actually talked to him before unlike you who might have talked to his picture at times. :laugh:

Wll this is what I read:

I saw the first post and notice you don't seperate the article from your words. You know there is a most sane and intelligent people would use to seperate your own words with the article ;)

And like the other person said , chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, it is just Tony K.

What are u on? the thread post. i started this thread u moron. go read it. in it i state that Kornhesier is implying that fans in dc thinks gibbs gonna win cause parcell is successful and ......... then i said "Tony we skins fans dont think Gibbs will be successulll because..... dont talk for the rest of the skins fan..."

Im done with you Mook.

hahahaahhaha

What are u on? the thread post. i started this thread u moron. go read it. in it i state that Kornhesier is implying that fans in dc thinks gibbs gonna win cause parcell is successful and ......... then i said "Tony we skins fans dont think Gibbs will be successulll because..... dont talk for the rest of the skins fan..."

Im done with you Mook.

hahahaahhaha

Did you read anything I said :doh:

I said I saw your first post and it was just mumble, normally the people here when the post something out of an article they would post the ENTIRE article. You know it is easy to just read one sentence you put in but not understand the entire story from you not providing the more intelligent fans like us the entire article.

Sad that mook is the best you can do :doh: I guess your GED is good for something :silly:

skinsfanforlife, jb ... both of you have made your point. This is a good subject to discuss if we can get past the bickering. So let's move on:

Tony does this all the time. He gets the way the DC Sports community is feeling about something and he'll take the opposite stance, just to give us all something to think about.

Heck, his whole 'bandwagon' bit was a joke. He was mocking people who proclaimed our superbowl destiny after two game. But since we actually DID win the superbowl that year, he decided to 'keep on dancing as fast as I could' to use his own words.

I don't think Tony has anything against Gibbs. I think he's just saying not to get too carried away with the worship.

And frankly, he's probably right.

Did you read anything I said :doh:

I said I saw your first post and it was just mumble, normally the people here when the post something out of an article they would post the ENTIRE article. You know it is easy to just read one sentence you put in but not understand the entire story from you not providing the more intelligent fans like us the entire article.

Sad that mook is the best you can do :doh: I guess your GED is good for something :silly:

Its funny when some fat writer from ESPN disses Gibbs , you get all riled up but when it is your fav columnist from the washington post, oh its nothing, he just wrote that as a joke. hahahahahahaha

You serious got some problem conveying messages.

who was your english teacher, so i can beat the crap out of her or him .

Its funny when some fat writer from ESPN disses Gibbs , you get all riled up but when it is your fav columnist from the washington post, oh its nothing, he just wrote that as a joke. hahahahahahaha

You serious got some problem conveying messages.

who was your english teacher, so i can beat the crap out of her or him .

skinsfanforlife,

A fat writer from ESPN does not have the in depth knowledge of a guy like Kornheiser, who lives here and covers this town and understands the pulse of the fans. I do pay much more attention to what Tony has to say, and I respect his opinion on this matter a bit more than some national columnist who gives us a paragraph a week at best.

You gotta problem with it?

Here we go again...not another internet thug:laugh:

I responded the way I did because it seems that many people here are so quick to bash someone at the very hint of negativity towards the Redskins or Joe Gibbs...Your post gave me that impression. As for your opinion...you are certainly entitled to it...As is anyone else on this board! So it's all good my man...don't let me knock your hustle...:thumbsup:

Kornheiser said the same thing what that fat writer(cant remember his name) from ESPN said about GIbbs but in a funnier way? We diss the heck out that fat dude but we can let Kornheiser slide cause?

Here is a quote from Kornheiser

"It's amazing that such a cynical town has greeted Joe Gibbs with such a lack of cynicism and scrutiny. Everybody says the same thing: "He'll turn it around." Nobody seems to mention that he hasn't coached in 12 years, and that he raided AARP for most of his assistants. Nobody seems to be concerned that there's a salary cap, and the free agent rules have changed."

This is the same thing what that fat writer from ESPN said about Gibbs that he has been away for 12 yrs, free agent, too old.

If i hear another writer say Gibbs been away for 12 yrs and blah blah blah, im gonna beat the crap out jbooma.

Archived