Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Merged x 3) Williams & Clarett Temporarily Ruled Ineligible

semiskin

I've read somewhere that the order of the supplemental draft is not necessarily the same as the order for the regular draft. This might be b.s. from the rumormill guy, but as I recall the first six picks are randomly reordered, then another tier from seven to the team with the best record who didn't make the playoffs is reordered, and finally the playoff teams are reordered within each tier. Is anyone able to confirm this process?

I am so glad the courts ruled this way.

Another source...

NEW YORK (AP) -- A federal appeals court Monday blocked former Ohio State star Maurice Clarett and other young football players like him from entering the NFL draft this weekend.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the NFL had demonstrated that it is likely to succeed in arguing that college underclassmen should not be allowed to turn pro.

Clarett, who played as a freshman at Ohio State and was ineligible as a sophomore, had challenged the NFL rule that requires a player to be out of high school for three years before entering the draft.

The NFL argued that the rule is for young athletes' own good, because it is designed to make sure they are big enough and strong enough to play with the pros.

In February, U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin declared that the rule violates antitrust law by preventing athletes from pursuing their livelihood. She ruled that underclassmen should be allowed to turn pro.

But the appeals court Monday blocked Scheindlin's ruling while it takes up the issue.

Calls to Clarett's attorney, Alan Milstein, and to the Youngstown, Ohio, home of Clarett's mother were not immediately returned.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Originally posted by JangoFett

I've read somewhere that the order of the supplemental draft is not necessarily the same as the order for the regular draft. This might be b.s. from the rumormill guy, but as I recall the first six picks are randomly reordered, then another tier from seven to the team with the best record who didn't make the playoffs is reordered, and finally the playoff teams are reordered within each tier. Is anyone able to confirm this process?

What you do is you say what round pick you want to give up and then what ever teams gives up the highest pick wins. To order is based on the current draft list. If San Diego says they will give up a #1 for Williams, no one can beat it.

Taking the politics out..they got screwed. Unless the NFL requires a college degree to play then there should be no rule to keep them out. How would any of us feel if our employers told us we were qualified for the job but haven't been out of high school long enough. Furhtermore I think its a shame you can die for your country at 17 but can't play in the NFL.

Now with that said. My personal opinion is they need to play at a college level for 4 years and get a degree.

Do you think the NCAA would allow Williams and Clarett to retain their amateur status and return to college. I know that both would be eligible for the supplemental draft. However would they receive the same compenstation and contract?

The supplemental draft used to be done on a lottery type of system. However, now it is based on records for the previous year.

So the Chargers would have the 1st pick, etc. Then there are 7 rounds throughout in which a player can be selected. You lose a pick corresponding to the round you choose them.

Here is a link to more specific information about the supplemental draft that occurred last year, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

I'd certainly pick up Mike Williams in a supplemental draft, especially with Gardner's contract coming up soon. If nothing else, we could trade him to a team like Baltimore who had no shot of grabbing him. Say a Mike Williams for Terrell Suggs :)

Well, we place age restrictions on politicians. You can't be president until you're 35, I think. What's the difference between that and what the NFL is attempting to do? One law is in order to assure sufficient mental maturity in a candidate while the other is to assure sufficient physical maturity. I think the one about being president might actually be written into the constitution. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

On the other hand, how can the NFL succeed in this kind of a restriction while the NBA can't? What's the difference between the two from a legal standpoint? And does this open the door for the NBA to challenge early entry as well. Or is that horse already to far out of the stable? And would the NBA even really be interested in such a restriction anymore after the successes of Garnett, Bryant, O'Neal, and of course LeBron James to name a few? Inquiring minds want to know.

Archived