Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thought On Redskins Trying To Acquire Holdman

Could it be that Gregg Williams is looking to implement a 3-4 Defense with them trying to acquire Holdman? Holdman is a very fast Linebacker, faster than Washington. So, it could be Washington and Arrington on the outside with Mitchell and Holdman handling the inside. Then they could switch between a 3 Conerback 1 Safety set to a 2 Cornerback 2 Safety set. Also, with a 3-4 they could bring the outside linebackers up to the line for rushing the quarterback, while keeping the middle occupied with 3 linemen and 2 linebackers. Any thoughts?

Williams has already said that he will use many different sets to confuse the offense. A 3-4, I think is very possible at times as well as lots of other formations. I still think the majority, will have 4 d-linemen. Can't wait to see how creative the sets are and how fast we are able to move to the ball. With a few more additions in the draft and free agency, this defense will surprise alot of teams!

2 of the Redskins 3 top DTs right now are still injured, Noble and Haley. That makes a move to a 3-4 somewhat problematic. Griffin does not seem suited to a nose tackle role.

Holdman's acquisition could be a move anticipating the departure of Antonio Pierce.

Why pay Pierce a salary in the range of a veteran who already has significant starting experience?

This just might be a case of trying to upgrade where the opportunity presents itself rather than a move made in desperation.

linebackers and safeties are more plentiful in free agency than players at most other positions, a state of affairs that speaks to how poorly the Redskins have managed the safety position since 1992.

with capable veterans swapping teams each offseason it is ironic that a safety-poor team such as the Redskins have continually failed to upgrade.

Posted by bulldog:

with capable veterans swapping teams each offseason it is ironic that a safety-poor team such as the Redskins have continually failed to upgrade.

Bulldog, does this imply you favor drafting Taylor, the BPA or trading down?

IMHO, I would take:

1. Taylor

2. K2

3. Gallery

There is NO WAY I would trade out of the #5 pick. Hopefully, this will be the last time we draft this low in MANY YEARS:cool:

Even if we took Gallery and moved Samuels to LG, that is a WIN-

WIN situation.

IMHO there is no DL prospect worthy of the #5 pick.

Originally posted by Joey T

Posted by bulldog:

Bulldog, does this imply you favor drafting Taylor, the BPA or trading down?

IMHO, I would take:

1. Taylor

2. K2

3. Gallery

There is NO WAY I would trade out of the #5 pick. Hopefully, this will be the last time we draft this low in MANY YEARS:cool:

Even if we took Gallery and moved Samuels to LG, that is a WIN-

WIN situation.

IMHO there is no DL prospect worthy of the #5 pick.

how can you not trade down now?

When youre team is lacking D lineman and doesnt even have a NT to play a 3-4 defense why would you draft a S or a TE or a G? :twitch:

and no one is saying take a D lineman at #5. You trade down to 7-10 and get 2-4 extra picks. :doh1:

Originally posted by DCogan1820 saved my baby

Dammit, how come EVERY conversation on this board lately, be it about Warrick Holdman or what type of breakfast cereal you like best, becomes a discussion about Taylor vs. Winslow?!?!?!

Well what kind of breakfast cereal do you like best? Taylor or Winslow?:laugh:

Originally posted by Displaced Redskin Fan

Could it be that Gregg Williams is looking to implement a 3-4 Defense with them trying to acquire Holdman? Holdman is a very fast Linebacker, faster than Washington. So, it could be Washington and Arrington on the outside with Mitchell and Holdman handling the inside. Then they could switch between a 3 Conerback 1 Safety set to a 2 Cornerback 2 Safety set. Also, with a 3-4 they could bring the outside linebackers up to the line for rushing the quarterback, while keeping the middle occupied with 3 linemen and 2 linebackers. Any thoughts?

That certainly is a thought.

As it stands, it doesn't make much sense to me to add another starting LB when you already have Arrington and Washington. Are they panning on moving one of those two into the middle?

Arrington in the middle could be lethal. I just question whether he is smart enough to call the defense and make the calls. He certainly has all of the ability of an Urlacher.

Going to a 3-4 would help mask the seriously deficient DL that you do have in Washington. The signing of Griffin points to a 4-3 because he is not a protypical Nose. However, what if they are thinking of converting him to a 3-4 end? He is certainly athletic enough. Could be a smart move to milk alll of the potential that Griffin does posess.

Lbs are much easier to aquire than DL. This could be the smartest way to go for the skins.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

I'm surprised that Holdman has not gotten any offers from other teams. He was a very solid player when he was on the Bears. He would be a very good pickup if we do indeed sign him. We good have one of the most athletic set of LBs in the league.

He has been approached by a few other teams - Cleveland, Houston, and a few others. The general consensus was he was holding out for what were assumed to be minimum offers, and the skins seem to be playing right into his strategy by upping their offer. The fact that Blanche is our LB's coach certainly bodes well. I think it's a matter of time before he signs with us. And if he's healthy, it's a great depth pick up considering the shifts and rotations Williams will employ to confuse O's. With Trotter out and Pierce on the way out, most likely, it becomes imperative that we sign quality depth at the position.

- FUF

Holdman would be a solid pickup. The reason everything goes back to Taylor vs Winslow is it's two weeks before the draft and really that's all we should be talking about. Stop getting to upset that everything goes back to these two guys. Unfortunately we are not going to draft Taylor unless he's second workout is far better than his first, he has hired an agent, who hopefully got in his uknowwhat, but I still think Gibbs is thinking wow, how can you defend us with Coles, WinslowII, Portis and Gardner as receiving options. I don't want us to trade Gardner, I'm a Florida boy and Our offense would be the Florida bunch instead of the fun bunch. I'm from Tallahassee, so I want my homeboy Taylor Jacobs to get in that mix as well. Go Skins, Noles, Braves.

Archived