Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: No Time for Sour Grapes (John Kent Cooke)

No Time for Sour Grapes

After Redskins Sale, Cooke's Son Is Building N.Va. Winery

By Ian Shapira

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, April 2, 2004; Page B01

John Kent Cooke, disappointed at being outbid for his late father's football team, the Washington Redskins, took his share of Jack Kent Cookes' estate to the British tax haven of Bermuda in 1999 to consider a different future than the one he had planned.

He played golf, sailed and bought several newspapers in the Florida Keys and a Florida Internet company for his sons, John Jr. and Thomas. Now 63, he has returned to the Washington area to start a vineyard and winery at Boxwood, his 130-acre estate on the outskirts of Middleburg. That enterprise will be run by his stepdaughter, Rachel Martin, a winemaking student in Napa Valley, Calif.

Clearly, one way to get over losing the family business is to start another. And another.

"Whatever we do, we are a family. It's very natural to do things with your family and provide for the future," Cooke said recently in his Boxwood office, where a stack of Vineyard & Winery Management magazines rested near busts of his sons and autographed footballs.

Much of the money from the team's sale was used to form the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, which awards college scholarships, but there was plenty left to provide for John's altered future. In 2001, he bought Boxwood -- not far from Kent Farm, his father's estate near Middleburg -- with an eye toward settling there with his second wife, former Redskins secretary Rita Martin.

Winemaking, he said, "is probably the most viable agricultural pursuit to justify living on a farm. There's no money in cattle, no money in horses. [Vineyards] are kind of like the Redskins: One year you make a little, one year you lose a lot."

The idea hasn't been entirely popular in the neighborhood, where administrators and parents across the road at the Hill School, a private academy from which Cooke's sons graduated, have expressed fears about students inhaling pesticides. A small handful of residents showed up at a recent Middleburg Town Council meeting to complain that the vineyard's pesticides could ooze into the ground and infect the tiny town's water supply, according to council member Margaret New.

"No matter what you're spraying, you're putting stuff in the air. We have to be savvy," said Bill Couzens, who has two children at the school. "I've not met Mr. Cooke -- I understand he's a nice guy. It's not personal. . . . It's really crucial that farms and communities work together as we get tighter in space."

But Cooke and his viticulturist, Lucie Morton, say Boxwood will be an environmental model for Virginia's nearly 200 vineyards and 90 wineries. They plan to spray organic copper- and sulfur-based fungicides only in the mornings and evenings when school is out and the wind is low. (The fungicide sprayer will have a shield to catch any wayward mist and drip it back onto the vines). Instead of conventional, highly toxic insecticides, they intend to use organic materials such as tree oil and garlic extract to kill or repel insects. And instead of using herbicides, Boxwood's staff will dig out weeds mechanically or, in wet conditions, apply a vinegar, lemon juice and clove oil concoction.

"If I had a child at the Hill School, I'd run over and see what the vineyard was doing. I think they're completely justified in asking those questions," said Morton, who met with parents and Hill School officials recently. "But this is going to be cutting edge. I challenge the assertion that these are automatically hazardous to kids. I brought in pictures of little villages in France and Germany, and they're surrounded by vines."

State vineyard experts say that although it is unusual for vineyards to be next to schools, Cooke's plans represent the most protective measures money can buy. "It sounds like they are making a very specific effort to go entirely organic, which is a departure from our experience from existing grape growers in Virginia, who have only dabbled in organic," said Tony Wolf, a board member of the Virginia Vineyards Association.

Cooke will have more time to focus on building his grape business now that his lawsuit against fellow executors of his father's $800 million estate has been resolved. Cooke alleged that the six other executors sought too high a fee -- more than $40 million, to be divided equally -- for administering his father's estate, which included the Redskins, the Chrysler Building in New York and the Los Angeles Daily News.

Cooke said all seven executors should have shared $4.25 million instead, leaving more money available for scholarships as his father intended. In January, the sides agreed on $17.5 million divided seven ways.

The executors, their attorney said, felt that Cooke went to battle only to avenge the team's sale to an outsider, Bethesda communications executive Daniel Snyder, who paid $800 million for the team and its stadium, $70 million more than Cooke's bid.

As part of its response to the lawsuit, executors filed a letter from Jack Kent Cooke -- just weeks before he died in April 1997 -- explaining to his son why the team would not be left to him:

"I am fully aware this reply will disappoint you, but my heart, mind and resolve is set on the Foundation and the enormous benefits it will trigger for all time to come. Please, I beg you, try to understand. I am dreadfully sorry but I cannot accede to your request. So be it. All of my love, forever. Always, Dad," Jack Kent Cooke wrote.

Today, the son is presiding over his fledgling winery with the gusto of a coach, a fan and a cheerleader rolled into one.

Walking his property on a recent day, Cooke surveyed the construction in progress and liked what he saw.

"Our tanks are from Santa Rosa. Our tanks are number one!" he exclaimed, showing where his fermentation vats will be placed.

"Here's my well! Twenty-six gallons a minute -- hot dog!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43615-2004Apr1.html

This would be a good opportunity to ask how the team would be different if John took it over, instead of Dan.

Better or worse?

I think we'd probably not be as profitable and not be constant butt of people's jokes, but I'm not sure the on-field result would be better. Dan is trying, sometimes too hard.

Mr. Cooke never wanted him to own the team he11 all the games at RFK Mr. Cooke never had junior in the box with him. Obviously he knew nothing about the sports business and Mr Cooke knew it and we found out about it the hard way. Junior was quite happy with Norv running things

John didn't seem to be passionate about the Skins. He never seemed like he wanted to own the team. He was just apathetic IMO.

Danny gouges you as fan, if you go to games, but he is very passionate about the team. Not always for the best but he does care.

IMO the Skins are better off with Snyder as the owner.

I will tell you, from personal knowledge, that Mr. Cooke did not feel that John had what it took to keep the Redskins at the pinnacle. He knew it long before he passed away.

Understand this, Mr. Cooke's pride and joy was the Washington Redskins. Over everyting that he owned or did, the Redskins were his unabashed favorite. He wanted to ensure that who ever would be at the helm would continue down the road that he had paved for the Redskins. He knew that a sale to the highest bidder would ensure that who ever came out on top would have too much invested to be complacent. His only intentions were to make certain that the Redskins would be an absolute success.

Has Dan Snyder met the task? One thing is for sure, Snyder is as passionate about the Redskins as Mr. Cooke was. Given time and seasoning, I think Snyder will do alright. He may never achieve the results that Mr. Cooke did, but he is certainly trying and will continue to try his best.

This would be a good opportunity to ask how the team would be different if John took it over, instead of Dan.

Better or worse?

Worse. I got the strong impression from John that he was more interested in the glamor of owning the team than actualy doing something with it. As long as he could sit in the owners box and play host to celebs and presidents he was happy.

:2cents:

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Junior stayed around.

I know Gibbs wouldn't have been back. It might still be Camp Norv. And we wouldn't have the premier players on this team now.

It would have been interesting to see Snyder meet the Squire. That would have been an interesting match. One thing is for sure about both of the men, they wanted the Best for the Redskins, and would pay to see it done.

On this wine thing, Maybe the Danny will sell John the right to call it Redskin's Wine, and sell it at the stadium.

Originally posted by RonJeremy

Danny gouges you as fan, if you go to games, but he is very passionate about the team. Not always for the best but he does care.

i went to the Sunday Night Dolphins game last season.. we had to pay $25 for parking and food/drinks was just as expensive as FedEx..

Snyder does nothing different than any other owner/team in the NFL does -- he markets and tries to maximize revenue.. what separates us from everyone else is simple: he does it so well that the Redskins are easily, far and away, the most profitable franchise in the NFL.. and the beauty of having Danny is he puts that $$$ back into the team.. what more could you ask for? obviously wins, but unless you are ignorant, you cannot blame Snyder for that..

Archived