Extremeskins

WP-Nothing Guaranted for Mitchell

Lavarleap56

Redskins Notebook

Nothing Guaranteed for Mitchell

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, March 29, 2004; Page D07

Although the Washington Redskins disinvited Jeremiah Trotter from minicamp, ending his Redskins career, his backup Kevin Mitchell doesn't necessarily view the move as a sign that he will be taking over. The 10th-year veteran doesn't lack confidence, but he's been in the NFL long enough -- including Washington the past four seasons -- to realize that nothing is guaranteed.

In fact, Mitchell expects the Redskins to look at other free agent linebackers after bringing in a bevy over the past few weeks. Mitchell isn't taking anything for granted after starting 13 games at middle linebacker in 2001, when the Redskins defense finished ranked 10th.

"Me starting right now doesn't mean anything," Mitchell said. "But I'm going to try to do my best and hopefully they won't have to bring anybody in here."

After the 2001 season, the Redskins signed Trotter from the Philadelphia Eagles to a seven-year, $36 million deal. The move turned out to be an expensive mistake when the club told him last week to find a trade partner or be released.

Gregg Williams, the Redskins' assistant head coach-defense, has said the job to replace Trotter is wide open. The Redskins got a first look at linebackers Antonio Pierce, Lemar Marshall and Chris Clemons. Clifton Smith, who is recovering from arthroscopic surgery, is another possibility.

Mitchell doesn't have the optimum speed that Williams prefers for his linebackers. But Mitchell is known for adhering to his assignment -- a problem that some Redskins linebackers had last season.

Enthusiastic Spectator

Cornerback Shawn Springs didn't participate in minicamp because of a bone bruise in his knee he said occurred last season when the Seattle Seahawks faced the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs. However, Springs -- who has missed nine games in the past three seasons because of injuries -- said the ailment isn't serious.

"If it was a game I would definitely be playing," said Springs who described himself as being between 85 and 90 percent. Springs's nicked-up knee didn't dampen his enthusiasm, especially after noticing the media attention for the minicamp. A Redskins official said there were about 60 media members for Friday's practice. "I was telling one of my teammates, this is unbelievable and unreal with all this media attention," Springs said. "It actually feels like I'm finally in the league." . . .

Despite the end of minicamp, Gibbs has set up a 12-week program starting today for players to improve their conditioning. . . . Running back Clinton Portis now says he won't pay safety Ifeanyi Ohalete for the chance to wear no. 26, Portis's old number in Denver. Portis requested a boxing match, with the winner getting the number. Ohalete -- who also rebuffed Chad Morton last year -- declined.

Running back Clinton Portis now says he won't pay safety Ifeanyi Ohalete for the chance to wear no. 26, Portis's old number in Denver. Portis requested a boxing match, with the winner getting the number. Ohalete -- who also rebuffed Chad Morton last year -- declined.

HA HA that is great, now who would your money be on ??

Originally posted by lavarleap56

. . . . Running back Clinton Portis now says he won't pay safety Ifeanyi Ohalete for the chance to wear no. 26, Portis's old number in Denver. Portis requested a boxing match, with the winner getting the number. Ohalete -- who also rebuffed Chad Morton last year -- declined.

:laugh: Portis wants to fight him for the number. That is freakin hilarious. I'm starting to get the feeling that Portis might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Oh this kinda is getting out of control with the number stuff.

We're trying to build team chemistry and Portis is challenging people to fights now........oh my..........I like his fire but wow.

That said.....

Iffy would most likely beat the **** outta Portis, Portis is what 205?? I believe Iffy is like 225 or something, he would dominate him, bad idea by Portis.

Maybe Portis has had boxing training and is offering with the hope that Ohalete gets overconfident about his weight and agrees ....

I am just surprised that this hasn't been resolved by Snyder yet. Doesn't he have Portis Jerzey's to order?

My money is on Portis........he already sports the World Heavyweight Championship belt.

Seriously tho, I say Iffy give up the #26. Or else, what are the chances that Portis asks D.Green to wear #28 and D.Green agrees. Would all of you agree to that?

Originally posted by mcees4life

My money is on Portis........he already sports the World Heavyweight Championship belt.

Seriously tho, I say Iffy give up the #26. Or else, what are the chances that Portis asks D.Green to wear #28 and D.Green agrees. Would all of you agree to that?

Part one, excellent point. Heh heh, I wonder who he knocked out for that....Shannon Sharpe maybe?

Part two, no way I would want somebody wearing the greatest Redskin's number....ever. Let Portis or Iffy wear 29, and lets just end this.

Originally posted by Skins26

Oh this kinda is getting out of control with the number stuff.

We're trying to build team chemistry and Portis is challenging people to fights now........oh my..........I like his fire but wow.

That said.....

Iffy would most likely beat the **** outta Portis, Portis is what 205?? I believe Iffy is like 225 or something, he would dominate him, bad idea by Portis.

Althought It seems as though Portis is joking about a fight, size isn't the determining factor in any fight. Hand and footspeed are.

Archived