Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor, completely unsubstantiated, from Redskins Park.

Art

I had a long conversation about the draft with Pepper Rodgers last week at an event. He basically told me the same thing that Art has heard - that the Johnson situation would have a great effect on whether Winslow or Taylor was the pick.

He said that he personally prefers Taylor, but said that most of the folks in the organization (don't know if he meant FO, Coaches, etc.) prefer Winslow. Obviously Pepper is not the personnel guy, but I think that is significant, and it bolsters Art's argument.

BD

Funny. The Winslow rumors seem to be coming from many sources, beyond that which has been already mentioned.

While I have the same trepidations as everyone else about the state of our defense this year, our offense would be absolutely sick with Winslow complementing Portis and Coles as "deadly" weapons.

I just don't understand how Winslow and Taylor are brushed off as just being "big names" or "sexy picks", as if they'll be chosen for other reasons than their playing ability. It's kind of a silly statement. What's so crazy about looking long and hard at outstanding prospects in identified areas of need? As I believe Gibbs will be calling the shots in the draft, I see it as a direct shot on his football acumen.

It seems to me that, short of a franchise QB, nothing is as sexy in the NFL as a monster DL that can wreak havoc on an opponent. Now, I'm no draftnik, and I haven't studied any of these guys, but it doesn't appear that there is a consensus "can't-miss" DL available in the draft (DL are very valuable - if there was one, every mock draft would show him in the Top 3-5). Given these conditions, the FO would be negligent NOT to strongly consider draftees considered to be stronger PROSPECTS.

All I know is that I expect the Redskins to get a PLAYMAKER with this pick, not someone who is merely solid. I don't care what position he plays. Just someone that will give the opposing team a headache out of worry. And I'm not talking about the Champ Bailey type of headache, where the player may tie up your best WR for the better part of the day. I'm talking about one where, if you do not pay attention to the player, he will rip your heart out.

If it takes a "big name" or "sexy pick" to satisfy that criteria, then I'm fine with that. :)

Originally posted by NavyDave

Sometimes it takes divine intervention to prevent the skins from making a splash on offense in the first round again instead of addressing the part of the team that counts.

DEFENSE

I'm praying that poston signs KW2 also which will force danny and company to discover that first round picks can be used on defensive bluechip players too

A great player isn’t a guy who “avoids tackles” nor is it a guy whose big play ability has to do more with the strength of his jaw muscles than it does with his skill on the football field.

Neither of these two players is worthy of our pick this year…

Originally posted by Reaganaut

I'd believe this becuase of the Taylor Jacobs situation. Snyder wanted to give Spurrier his boy and wants to give Gibbs his boy. Winslow is a good player, just would like to see dline.

There seems to be a disconnect here. See, I don't believe Snyder is "giving" Gibbs anything. I don't think Gibbs needs Snyder to mollify him by conceding to his demands for toys.

I believe that Gibbs is calling the shots.

As far as im concerned, when you get the chance to select in the top 5, if there are any cant miss prospects, you take them, even if they are luxury items, take them anyways.

Yes you could trade down, but you may never get the chance to take a guy like Winslow/Taylor again.

Now obviously if the guy plays at a position that is settled on your team, then you should pass. Such as we wouldnt take a OLB, since we have Washington/Arrington.

But Rasby and Iffy/Bowen arent really top of the line players at those positions.

So we gotta take the cant miss prospect, either Winslow or Taylor.

If there was a cant miss D Line prospect I would say take him, but there arent any.

I will be really pissed if we do not address our defensive line in the draft...no disrespect to Winslow or Taylor but we always seem to ignore our Dline. The only reasoning behind not taking a Dlineman at 5 (T.Harris I would bet) is that harris is not worthy of the 5th pick overall and they could trade down to get him later. But if the right offer is not there then I would take Taylor. I just dont see how an impact TE will help this team more then a Dline that can put pressure on the QB!

It is the Achilles heel of this team. The same way the cornerstone of a good offense is the line...the D-line is the first step in building a strong overall D. I mean look where we have ranked overall, we have had great dbacks and LBs but no d line.

I was watching the NFL Network game of the week a little while ago and they were replaying the Colts/Pats playoff game from last year. It was amazing how NE was able to completely thwart the previously unstoppable Colts offensive attack by a superb pass rush that punished Manning all day. (Remember, before that game the colts hadnt had to punt all post season) The Pats were not running any crazy blitzes either, 4 man fronts with with LBs dropping into coverage...and they got to manning many many times...I cant remember the last time we had a D line forcing the QB to make quick decisions consistently...

Sorry...I had to vent.

Originally posted by KDawg

You are vastly underplaying the importance of a good safety with this argument. I don't care how good of a pass rush you have, chances are you won't get to the QB on every play, thus enabling to throw the football. If your safeties can't cover they're going to get beat deep for six every time. And one touchdown can determine the outcome of a game.

And if your pass rush sucked like ours last year, good safeties can save alot of touchdowns. Our safeties did once in awhile, but take the Miami touchdown for example. Bowen took an awful angle. I can bet Dawkins wouldn't have taken that angle.

There is no position on the field that is irrelevent, it's ridiculous to even suggest that.

While my example of Tiffany Taylor as a safety is an exaggeration... what I simply mean is this, you're not going to be able to greatly differentiate the talent level of either Taylor, or what alternative we'd have back there, (Bowen Ohalete) or whoever, if we had no pass rush like last year.

The emphasis to my point is this, Deon Grant has been awful in much of his career. Definitely not the quality season he had last year. But with the pass rush that Carolina got, he all of a sudden has a career year.

I'm not suggesting that safety is worthless, I just do not feel that a top #5 pick to a position, where his effectiveness will be exteremely limited until the pass rush is improved, is a waste. The difference that you'd see between Bowen/Ohalete vs Taylor and one of the other two, would be small at best, considering the prospective pass rush.

Pass rush and solid defensive line play help make secondary play. Sure they're not the end all save all, but if the line consistently hurries the QB, a few seconds lost of time, is a few seconds the Defensive Backs don't have to cover. Time to sit in the pocket will pick apart pretty much any secondary.

Originally posted by Butz65

Newera, I think you're responding to my post. Don't get me wrong, I think TE is an impact position (D. Warren and C. Didier are great examples under Mr. Gibbs). I just don't think you need to pick one at #5 in order to get an impact player. Aside from Schockey, how many of the players you referenced were drafted in the top 10 much less the first round? Good TE's are usually available in later rounds whereas impact safeties and corners are usually not - that's my point.

Corners are taken high, but Safeties are generally not. Though R. Williams has many re-thinking the value of a true impact Safety/

Shockey, Heap, Sharpe and Gonzo do more for their team than any WR. They make a serious impact on their offense and how defenses play them. Maybe TE's are generally not taken so high, but if they feel that KW2 is that type of impact player...then he's well worht it in their eyes.

I just get a feeling that D. Gardner will end up back w/ the 'Skins and that is why DL is not a priority. Maybe a carefully worded contract as to cover themselves in case Gardners flips out like he did in Denver.

it doesn't matter what the past dictates is a low enough pick to use on a safety or tight end. what matter is that the skin aren't likely to get another pick this high and giibs plans to be here for awhile, so it may take more then one year to fix the d-line. however gibbs might not have another chance to get a taylor or more so kw2 type of player so he might not want to pass it up.

we will see though?

How does this NOT compute?

If you have the 5th choice among 32 options and at the 5th choice, a selection is available that meets your needs, take that option and select the BPA that fits your needs.

At this point, there doesn't seem to be a 'clear' choice to take for our DL problems.

It appears to me we have need of a very fine FS. Also we have need of a very fine TE option that will cause headaches for DCs and is reputedly as skilled as TG in KC or JS in NY.

If it be Taylor or KWII, it takes guts on our part to take the gamble on the ONE player.

It's a wimp that doesn't risk the single CHOICE and trades down for mutiple picks. NO guts, NO glory!

If the wimp's mutiple picks which he traded down for doesn't work out, he can blame the 'risk' factor of the draft.:rotflmao:

no argument that greater pressure from the defensive line helps the secondary. what is in doubt is whether any of the dl available in the draft will create the extra pressure. there is no reason whatsoever to believe that skills demonstrated against offensive linemen in the Pac 10 will translate to skills against Larry Allen.

it boils down to where is the biggest delta in incremental value to the team as seen from a 2 possibly 3 year retooling.

Archived