Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which teams draft Pro Bowlers best?

MidPennSkin

There was an article at nfl.com yesterday by Pat Kirwan comparing the drafts of NFL teams in 1999 and 2000. This article was discussed on this board in thread 54175.

I recently did a similar study to see how many pro bowl players were drafted by each team, looking at the drafts from 1991 through 2001. The percentage of players drafted that went to at least one pro bowl since 1991 is a measure of how good each team is at picking draftees. Here are the results:

probowlvsteam.jpg

From this table it looks like the Redskins did a pretty good job of drafting top players, and the Bills, Giants and Browns did very poorly. Here’s a breakdown of who some of the pro bowl players were, and where they were drafted.

probowlvsteam2.jpg

The Ravens have done a good job of drafting and keeping top players, particularly since 1996.

Nice work. Using the sample of individual players you provided, apx. 70% of all pro bowlers are picked in the first two rounds. Combine this with Kirwin's findings and I have to conclude:

1) Out of each draft a team can expect to get two starters and one backup. All others will be cut.

2) Each team can expect to pick up 2 more players each year from draftees cut by other teams.

3) The majority of standout players are drafted in the first two rounds. It stands to reason that the majority of keepers also come from the first two rounds and possibly the 3rd.

4) Anytime that you can trade a 3rd round thru 7th round draft pick for a young proven player, even if he is a backup but particularly if he is a starter, then you have beaten the odds.

5) The Redskins have done a masterful job of figuring this out.

6) The critics can talk about the Redskin's coming cap hell all day long but the Redskins are signing proven players almost daily from other teams who can't afford to keep them. Sometimes the Redskins are giving up a draft pick and often they are not, but the reality is that a lot of other teams are in cap hell right now and no one is talking about it.

Originally posted by Renegade7

We had Keenan McCardell and let him go?!:yikes: :hammer: Someone, QUICK, explain what happened before I blow a blood vessel or somethin! :(

------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

He was drafted in a very late round of the 1991 draft. I think he was just a reserve that whole year, or was placed on injured reserve for some reason. I think he was just released later, I mean, look at their receiving corps at the time. Anyways, he has 2 super bowl rings because of being part of the 91 redskins and the 02 Bucs. Its on the roster part of this site so you can see.

By the way, Gus Frerotte made the probowl? Craezy, I like that guy.

Originally posted by Parlett316 TBanks fan lol

The author of that has to seperate the Ravens and Browns.

They are not one and the same.

The Ravens/Browns numbers are for Modell's team that was in Cleveland through 1995 and in Baltimore since. There is a separate entry for the "new" Browns that have been in the league since 1999.

Originally posted by wskin44

Nice work. Using the sample of individual players you provided, apx. 70% of all pro bowlers are picked in the first two rounds.

Here's some data from the same study that shows the probability of getting a Pro Bowl player for each round. The totals differ from those of the original post because the original post includes players drafted in rounds 8-12 in the early 1990s.

probowl.jpg

I agree with your conclusions, wskin44. With draft picks after the middle of the 2nd round (pick 48), the probability of getting standout players is pretty low.

Also shown in the above table is the average signing bonus paid to players in each group last year. The best bargains are in the mid-first round to mid-second round (picks 17-48).

Archived