Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins, Raymer Agree

Redskins, Raymer Agree

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 11, 2004; Page D03

The Washington Redskins have reached an agreement with center Cory Raymer on a three-year deal worth $3.1 million, according to a source involved in the negotiations. Raymer -- released by the San Diego Chargers last week -- played for the Redskins from 1995 to 2001.

The nine-year veteran -- whose NFL career has been plagued by injuries -- is expected to compete with Lennie Friedman for the starting job. Raymer's signing is ominous for Larry Moore, whose release would save the Redskins $1.3 million under the cap.

Yesterday, New York Giants linebacker Brandon Short visited the Redskins one day after a trip by linebacker Greg Favors. According to a source close to Favors, the Carolina Panthers free agent is mulling an offer between the Redskins and Jacksonville Jaguars. According to another source who requested anonymity, Chicago Bears linebacker Warrick Holdman will visit the Redskins on Monday.

The Redskins' pursuit of linebackers with starting experience -- particularly inside linebackers such as Short and Favors -- has increased speculation around the NFL that middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter will be released after June 1. By waiting until that date, the Redskins would save almost $3 million under the cap. However, the Redskins -- who deny the rumors -- would suffer a cap hit of $4.6 million in 2005. "Nothing would surprise me in this business," said Trotter, who signed a seven-year, $36 million contract in 2002. "I'm expecting to play here next season, but you never know."

I'm beginning to wonder whether Trotter's knees aren't starting to betray him. Didn't we hear a rumor that Trotter's knees were aching so bad after the Bills game that he contemplated retirement.

I'd like to see him play one more year and be utilized correctly. Up on the line of scrimmage and attacking the backfield in blitz's and run stunts. Williams appears to be just the type of coach to do it.

Archived