Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis Press Conference

Sanders 83

Bowlen says Portis put deal for Bailey in gear

By Adam Schefter

The biggest trade of Pat Bowlen's ownership tenure with the Broncos will become official today. But Bowlen said the seeds were sown last month when Clinton Portis' agent demanded the Broncos make his client the highest-paid running back in the game - nothing less.

Had Portis been willing to compromise in some form, Bowlen said the trade that sent shock waves from Washington to Colorado never would have happened.

Portis' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined to comment when reached Wednesday.

Asked how much today's trade was the result of Portis' desire to cash in, Bowlen replied: "All of it. If Portis would have come in and said, 'Look, I'll play next year for my existing contract. All I want is for you to give me a personal assurance that you'll renegotiate my contract next year and it'll be up there close to the top-paid guy in the game,' I don't think we would have blinked at all. We would have said, 'Sure, that's exactly what we'll do.'

"But it didn't come down like that. He wanted the money, the big money."

The Broncos feared Portis would hold out until the 11th game of the season, the last date he could report and have the upcoming season count as one that would bring him one year closer to becoming a free agent.

To prevent a holdout, Bowlen said he insisted his team attempt to make con- cessions. The Broncos offered Portis a $15 million insurance policy through Lloyd's of London, only to see the running back reject it.

"Man, I'm not accepting no insurance policies," Portis said at last month's Pro Bowl. "I've got my own. Insurance doesn't do anything for me. There's not the guarantee."

In turn, Bowlen said Denver recently proposed another guarantee. Shortly before the Broncos agreed to send Portis to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey and the Redskins' second- round pick in the April draft, Denver offered to upgrade the running back's contract while adding years to it.

Bowlen said Portis informed Denver the only contract he would accept would be one that made him the highest paid running back in the game.

"Let's understand, I liked Clinton Portis," Bowlen said. "I thought he was a first-class guy. But all this animosity over his contract started not with us, but where he was picked in the draft. He was picked in the second round, and he thought he should have been at least a mid-first round pick and gotten a good chunk of his money up front. That was always eating away at him.

"Then based on what he saw happen to some of his pals both in college and in the pros getting their knees blown out, it scared the heck out of him. He was thinking, 'Gee, I could play three years, and at the end of my third year I could tear my ACL and all of a sudden I lost the opportunity to hit the home run and land the big contract."'

When Portis balked at the Broncos' overtures, Denver suggested Rosenhaus shop Portis to another team as long as the Broncos received a first- and second-round draft choice in return. Portis did not request a trade.

A Broncos official said the team also provided Portis and his agent with two other caveats:

The first-round pick they received had to be a top-10 pick.

Should Rosenhaus fail to find a taker, Portis had to return to Denver and play under the $15 million insurance policy or a reworked deal.

Washington didn't offer its first-round pick, but it did offer Bailey and the second-round pick Denver was demanding. The trade satisfied everybody.

Washington got a Pro Bowl running back. Denver got a Pro Bowl cornerback and a second-round pick. Portis got an eight-year, $50.5 million contract that included $17 million worth of bonuses. And Bailey got a nine-year, $63 million contract that included an $18 million signing bonus.

To those who believe the Broncos should have given that money to Portis, Bowlen said: "You've got a player going into the third year of a four-year contract. Certainly he deserves to be rewarded at the appropriate time, but you can't start rewriting a four-year deal halfway into it.

"If you do after he has just completed 50 percent of his contract, in my mind you get a lineup of players that play well and think, 'I deserve a new contract.' You can't operate a business that way. I thought it was premature to ask for that. But that might have been his agent talking. I don't know whether that was Clinton talking."

Archived