Extremeskins

Skins Bringing In De Daniels

RonJeremy

New From The Post

Redskins Bringing in DE Daniels

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 2, 2004; 3:14 PM

The Washington Redskins are flying Chicago Bears defensive end Phillip Daniels to Redskins Park in Ashburn today after agreeing to the parameters of a contract, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Daniels, a 6-foot-5, 288-pounds, will become Washington's first defensive acquisition in the off season after the team reached agreements to acquire Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell and Denver Broncos tailback Clinton Portis. Yesterday, Portis reached a new agreement with the Redskins for an eight-year, $50.5 million contract, which included a $17 million signing bonus.

Daniels -- who turns 31 on Thursday -- played the previous two seasons for the Bears under then defensive coordinator Greg Blache, who has the same position with the Redskins. Before being hired by Joe Gibbs in January, Blache had been with the Bears the previous six seasons.

The Redskins, who declined comment, expect to introduce a player in the afternoon, presumably Daniels. A contract was expected to be finalized by tonight, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Free agency, and the trading period, begins at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. However, Daniels was released by the Bears on Monday, making him eligible to sign a new contract before the start of free agency. He was due a $1 million roster bonus on Wednesday.

The Bears had given the Redskins permission to talk to Daniels, and negotiations have been ongoing over the past several days, according to a source, who requested anonymity.

Last year, Daniels played all 16 games; he collected 41 tackles, 12 assists and 2.5 sacks. The Redskins' best pass rusher last season was right defensive end Bruce Smith, 40, who was recently cut. The Redskins have said they plan to upgrade their defensive line.

According to sources, the Redskins are a leading candidate to sign Tennessee's Jevon Kearse, one of the NFL's best pass rushers. Washington is also believed to be interested in defensive end Bertrand Barry of the Denver Broncos.

I have not seen him play, nor have I heard of him before this week....I believe he is an 8 year pro with ok stats, nothing to write home about....he is durable it appears, as he started all 16 games for Da' Bears last year. Is he a back-up? Hell, as of today he is a starter.:peace1:

Daniels had 9 sacks a couple of years ago. He is solid against the run. I anticipate that he will be given the chance to compete but will most likely be a top reserve.

I think it is a testament to how seriously the Skins plan on upgrading the unit that Daniels will end up as a backup.

Last year Daniels would have come in here and been the Redskins best DE.

Archived