Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Music

Mr. S

Anyone here big on metal? I just wanna see if there are metalheads out there on this forum, and no, not nu-metal fans. Dream Theater is my favorite band, some others are In Flames, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Soilwork, the list can go on.

I listen to DT sometimes (I actually have a bootleg New Years CD from a few years back – excellent). Their music is OK, but clearly have some of the best musicians walking the earth. I love Blind Guardian though! Great music ! ! Can’t believe you left out Iron Maiden and Judas Priest… too popular maybe?

Yeh, they are actually playing again on March 29th at the 9:30 club. It's gonna be a double set, no opening act or anything, I soo want to go. Judas Priest and Maiden, I like and respect them, but Im not as much into them as i am DT or Blind Guardian or In Flames.

Yeah, I'm a big metal head from way back. I play guitar and have been in and out of bands since I was about 14. Since I have a family and a real job now I do all of my recordings at home. I'm into the whole melodic Death Metal scene; In Flames, Sentenced, Soilwork, Entombed, Opeth, Witchery, Arch Enemy, ect. I have met some of the folks in these bands through a mutual friend who has recently moved back to Sweden.

I also like all of the old favorites like Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Exodus, Dark Angel, Death, Pantera, Overkill, Slayer and Merciful Fate. Any of the guitar shredders work for me as well, Vai, Malmsteen, DiMeola, McAlpine, and Paul Gilbert (although I thought most of the Mr. big stuff was crap). To this day I still rip Tony McAlpine off every chance I get.

Originally posted by codeorama

IAMBG... Nice list.

Dream Theater need to get rid of the keyboards. Other than that, they are pretty cool.

I liked the original keyboard player better. It's JL's voice that tends to bother me from time to time.

You DT fans ever heard any of the Transatlantic other "side" projects from the DT camp?

Queensryche didn't sound right on tour with DT because DeGarmo didn't tour. :( If you haven't listened to them go pick up (or download ;) ) Rage For Order, Warning, & THE QR album Operation : Mindcrime.

Originally posted by Hog Fever

Yeah, I'm a big metal head from way back. I play guitar and have been in and out of bands since I was about 14. Since I have a family and a real job now I do all of my recordings at home. I'm into the whole melodic Death Metal scene; In Flames, Sentenced, Soilwork, Entombed, Opeth, Witchery, Arch Enemy, ect. I have met some of the folks in these bands through a mutual friend who has recently moved back to Sweden.

I also like all of the old favorites like Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Exodus, Dark Angel, Death, Pantera, Overkill, Slayer and Merciful Fate. Any of the guitar shredders work for me as well, Vai, Malmsteen, DiMeola, McAlpine, and Paul Gilbert (although I thought most of the Mr. big stuff was crap). To this day I still rip Tony McAlpine off every chance I get.

some very nice bands. As you can tell, im huge on In Flames.....others are Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Vader, Dark Angel, Testament, Fear Factory kicks absolute arse, Nevermore, God Dethroned, old Sepultura, Iced Earth, Blind Gaurdian, All that Remain, Arch Enemy....the sound of perserverance is a GREAT ALBUM (death), sanctuary...the list can go on forever.

Ive been a metal head since my early teens, some of the biggest influences were/are Venom, Slayer, anyone remember Possessed (seven churches, at the gates?) awesome old school metal, and i still listen to them all. METAL RULES, ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL.

As far as that new s**t out, it sucks BIG TIME, along with new metallica......Kill'em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets, are 3 of the best albums made.......LONG LIVE METAL!!!!!!!!

Holy **** Hog Fever, you actually have met members of In Flames and other Swedish Death groups? Thats totally aweosme. I plan on visiting Sweden/Finland/Germany after im out of college. those seem like the largest places for metal.

To codearama, I like the keyboards, Jordan Ruddess was Juilliard trained, and Dream Theater doesnt overdo the keyboards unlike some bands like Children of Bodom. However, I will agree that Kevin Moore was much better for the band, Jordan isnt really even a metalhead.

In Flames, what do you think of the Reroute to Remain album, and what do you think their upcoming album holds? I have the video for The Quiet Place, i like it, but too much emergence of keyboards, doesnt fit their style.

Originally posted by In Flames

Ive been a metal head since my early teens, some of the biggest influences were/are Venom, Slayer, anyone remember Possessed (seven churches, at the gates?) awesome old school metal, and i still listen to them all. METAL RULES, ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL.

Oh yeah, Venom was a biggie for me early on. They were very sloppy as hell but very intense. Did you ever see their live video from the Hammersmith? Good stuff. Possessed was one of my favorites as well. They were faster than just about anyone else at the time. The Eyes of Horror EP is one to get as well if you haven't already. What the hell happened to Larry? He went from Possessed to Primus?!?

I'm not real impressed with a lot of the American bands on the scene right now either. I do like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God (because they are local guys) but that's about it. It seems like after thrash came and went in the late 80's and early 90's that all the fresh ideas in metal went to Europe. At least they are keeping things alive.

I haven't paid attention to anything Metallica has done in a long time. They have become exactly what they started out trying not to be; corprate, bloated, bulls**t. They simply aren't relevant to me anymore.

Originally posted by Hobo

Holy **** Hog Fever, you actually have met members of In Flames and other Swedish Death groups? Thats totally aweosme. I plan on visiting Sweden/Finland/Germany after im out of college. those seem like the largest places for metal.

Yeah I have hung out with a few of them. My friend is from Gothenburg. He is a engineer and a complete metalhead. We worked together till he decided to move back home and take a job with Volvo. Whenever any of these band came to town he would make a few phone calls and get us backstage.

I've met and hung out and partied with all of King Diamond's band (no king). Andy had always been one of my guitar hero's so that was very cool to be able to talk shop with him. Mike Weed is very cool as well. I have also met all the guys in Entombed, Jesper and Bjorn from In Flames and Alexander from Children of Bodom. They were all great guys and enjoyed being in the states. Man can these guys drink.

Right now my buddy in Sweden is working with a band called Lord Belial. They are straight up death metal. At their last album release party he was in charge of throwing raw meat into the crowd. Those dudes are nuts.

To codearama, I like the keyboards, Jordan Ruddess was Juilliard trained, and Dream Theater doesnt overdo the keyboards unlike some bands like Children of Bodom. However, I will agree that Kevin Moore was much better for the band, Jordan isnt really even a metalhead.

In Flames, what do you think of the Reroute to Remain album, and what do you think their upcoming album holds? I have the video for The Quiet Place, i like it, but too much emergence of keyboards, doesnt fit their style.

Well, to be honest, i was real dissappointed in Reroute, the only good tune on that cd is cloud connected, i just hope they dont do what most bands do when they get popular and sell-out. I have pretty high expectations of their next album, and im hoping it fits the bill along with colony, whoracle, clayman, and my personal favorite, the jester race.

Originally posted by Hog Fever

Oh yeah, Venom was a biggie for me early on. They were very sloppy as hell but very intense. Did you ever see their live video from the Hammersmith? Good stuff. Possessed was one of my favorites as well. They were faster than just about anyone else at the time. The Eyes of Horror EP is one to get as well if you haven't already. What the hell happened to Larry? He went from Possessed to Primus?!?

I'm not real impressed with a lot of the American bands on the scene right now either. I do like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God (because they are local guys) but that's about it. It seems like after thrash came and went in the late 80's and early 90's that all the fresh ideas in metal went to Europe. At least they are keeping things alive.

I haven't paid attention to anything Metallica has done in a long time. They have become exactly what they started out trying not to be; corprate, bloated, bulls**t. They simply aren't relevant to me anymore.

Yes, i have the eyes of horror ep, it slams big time. And as for venom, i actually saw them live, was back in '85, you wanna talk about a live performance, man they kicked absolute a**.

Originally posted by In Flames

March 29th baby!!!!! check out the new pics bro......can't wait.....March 29th. :applause:

wow, totally awesome pics. You going to the March 29th show of dream Theater? Im still trying to organize a way there.

Yeh, they are actually playing again on March 29th at the 9:30 club. It's gonna be a double set, no opening act or anything, I soo want to go. Judas Priest and Maiden, I like and respect them, but Im not as much into them as i am DT or Blind Guardian or In Flames.

Hobo, you ever hear Demon's and Wizard's? It's a album put out by Iced Earth's guitarist and Blind Gaurdian's vocalist, or vice versa, not too sure. but it is an AWESOME cd man, pick it up, self titled!!!!!!!!

"Demons & Wizards is an amalgamation of the fine talents of Hansi Kursh (vocalist, Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (guitarist, Iced Earth). Both men have rightfully earned deference for their accomplishment in their respective positions, so it makes sense that something that brings them together would be great. Perhaps sounding more like Iced Earth than Blind Guardian (those distinctive heavy, chugga-chugga riffs of Iced Earth), although Kursh's influence makes it much different".

yup, i have some songs off Demon's and Wizards, never really delved into it though. My more favorite power metal bands are Blind Guardian, Nightwish, and Rhapsody, with some Hammerfall and Iced Earth thrown in there. the Demons and Wizards album seems pretty cool though.

Big metal fan as well.

I actually think Symbolic is Death's best album.

Favorites are Death, Slayer, Megadeth, Opeth, Blind guardian, Iced Earth, Nevermore, Testament.

Testament is so underrated.

Doesn't anyone else here listen to Opeth?

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

I liked the original keyboard player better. It's JL's voice that tends to bother me from time to time.

You DT fans ever heard any of the Transatlantic other "side" projects from the DT camp?

Queensryche didn't sound right on tour with DT because DeGarmo didn't tour. :( If you haven't listened to them go pick up (or download ;) ) Rage For Order, Warning, & THE QR album Operation : Mindcrime.

I've wanted to listen to a few of the DT sideprojects, particularly the Liquid Tension thing.

Mike Portnoy is awsome.

Archived