Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

106 tackels by a corner?!?!

Renegade7

Antoine Winfeild, loves to knock the mess out of people. Agressive, great at coverage, and again, loves knockin the mess out of people. This is a thread to get people informed on who i beleive should be the first corner we sign. I figured that if i overran ya'll with stats and credable opinions, ya'll would undoubtedly see what i'm talkin about. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playe...le?statsId=4672

http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/133453

from article: http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1738892

He doesn't have the size that defensive coordinators love in their cornerbacks, but he hasn't let that stop him. At 5'9", 180 pounds he may be the best tackling corner in the league. In Week 2 he tackled 270-pound tight end Kyle Brady for a seven-yard loss, and did the same with 228-pound Fred Taylor -- twice.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/...hlight=Winfeild

see, i did my homework for once. :D

96 solo tackels, nuf said.

----------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

I'm not saying I don't want Winfield or don't think he is a good player, but in 5 seasons he has a total of 6 INTs. I've read alot of complaints on this board about how Champ rarely gets picks, or makes that game changing play. We seem to have a similar situation on our hands. But if Gregg Williams is comfortable with Antoine, then so am I.

It should be known that despite the Bills bad season, they did have the #1 ranked pass d and number 2 d overrall. as for winfield getting alot of tackles doesnt he play the run very well? nfc east isnt known its big wrs anyway. i also think his lack of INTs has something to do with bills lack of a pass rush. anyone agree?

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

I'm not saying I don't want Winfield or don't think he is a good player, but in 5 seasons he has a total of 6 INTs. I've read alot of complaints on this board about how Champ rarely gets picks, or makes that game changing play. We seem to have a similar situation on our hands. But if Gregg Williams is comfortable with Antoine, then so am I.

the difference between the two would be immense however. Champ Bailey wants a $20 million signing bonus. Winfield will probably demand half of that. Thus Winfield will be paid commensurate with play, while Bailey will be vastly overpaid for his play.

Originally posted by dissonance19

It should be known that despite the Bills bad season, they did have the #1 ranked pass d and number 2 d overrall. as for winfield getting alot of tackles doesnt he play the run very well? nfc east isnt known its big wrs anyway. i also think his lack of INTs has something to do with bills lack of a pass rush. anyone agree?

I spent a little time cruising the Bills' board, and the apparent consensus there is that Winfield has hands of stones. Just as his INT stat would indictate. 107 tackles is an awful lot of tackles. You have to assume a lot of those were made chasing down a reciever. Run support can only account for so many tackles.

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

I spent a little time cruising the Bills' board, and the apparent consensus there is that Winfield has hands of stones. Just as his INT stat would indictate. 107 tackles is an awful lot of tackles. You have to assume a lot of those were made chasing down a reciever. Run support can only account for so many tackles.

Oh, i know he wont do it all on run support alone. course he had to chase down wrs. Bills always had a problem to get TO's last yr and the yr before. They have no pass rush. Didnt it take 5 or 6 games 2 yrs ago to get an int? Then Nate Clements got 3 in one game.

Originally posted by dissonance19

I DO!:D

-----------------------

Originally posted by terpfan

one thing i do like about winfield is that he is no stranger to greg williams' D. the same could be said for jevon kearse...

That is a very significant point. Having a couple of starters that are not only good players but know the ropes of the system could be a big help to a team getting its 37th defensive coordinator in the last 20 minutes.

Originally posted by JoeSkins

Iffy had 106 tackles and you all want to run him out of town.

That's understandable because he's a safety. This is a corner were talking about. Who said we want him out of town?:laugh: I wouldn't have him as one of our starting corners if that's what u're implying?

-------------------------------

Yeah Iffy could definately be something special, especially with the tuteledge of Gibbs and Williams. He definately has the heart and determination Gibbs looks for in players. He could turn out to be just another Diamond in the Rough that Gibbs has a knack for seeing and holding onto.

What it means when a safety or a cornerback has over 100 tackles (and trust me, that's not a good thing), is that it means that the defensive front seven isn't doing its job in stopping the run. Which means that the safeties and corners are having to come in and do the mop up work, which should've been done by the linemen and linebackers in the first place.

Once we get the line fixed, then we won't have to worry about our safeties and corners getting 100+ tackles.

Originally posted by Redskins4Life

What it means when a safety or a cornerback has over 100 tackles (and trust me, that's not a good thing), is that it means that the defensive front seven isn't doing its job in stopping the run. Which means that the safeties and corners are having to come in and do the mop up work, which should've been done by the linemen and linebackers in the first place.

Once we get the line fixed, then we won't have to worry about our safeties and corners getting 100+ tackles.

The Bills had the #2 defense in '03, and was #2 against the pass. Their front 7 is just fine, this guy is just a hard working headhunter!

------------------------

Originally posted by Renegade7

The Bills had the #2 defense in '03, and was #2 against the pass. Their front 7 is just fine, this guy is just a hard working headhunter!

------------------------

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not dissing on Winfield's skills here. What I am saying is that typically, if a safety or CB has over 100+ tackles, then something is definitely wrong with that team's front 7. Buffalo was 1st against the pass, and 8th against the run. So, my comments were correct in stating that Buffalo had a harder time against the run, than they did against the pass. Now mind you, they had a better run D than what we had last year ... but again all I'm saying is that usually there's something wrong with a team's run defense when a member of the secondary is getting that many tackles. Get my point now? :)

Archived