Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Gurus... I need some assitance

John0397

Gurus, help me please. My home computer threw me a nasty penalty flag. The crux of my problem, my computer sees my cable modem, the cable company sees my cable modem, but I cannot connect to the net or get email. I have Windows 98 second edition. I tried going through and reinstalling the communications options in widows, but still nothing. What else am I missing??

And yes, I did send this from work.

I've had the same problem form time to time. I found that if I unplug the power source to the cable modem & shut down the computer & give 15-30 minutes it the modem will "reset" itself.

By the way, I have no idea what causes that to happen. :(

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

I've had the same problem form time to time. I found that if I unplug the power source to the cable modem & shut down the computer & give 15-30 minutes it the modem will "reset" itself.

By the way, I have no idea what causes that to happen. :(

I have the same problems as mentioned above. What TK said. Shut down, start back up all is ok.

You sure you got your e-mail setting correct. Cross check the connection by going on internet explorer........

If that works and e-mail doesn't.....well.........

Yes, TK is correct. You don't have to wait that long though. 30 seconds should do it. This is essentially rebooting your modem.

1. Make sure your computer is set to get a dynamic IP address. I can't remember exactly how it's set up in Windows98. Look in the network settings and find the TCP/IP settings. It should be set to "automaticall obtain an IP address".

2. Once you are sure of that, shut down.

3. Unplug the power cord from your modem, wait a minute, and then plug it back in. Your modem will then get a new IP address from the cable company.

4. Turn your computer back on. It should pick up the new IP address from the modem and be good to go.

That is the first troubleshoot you should do if you "lose" your internet connection. If that doesn't work, call the cable company and have them walk you through other possibilities.

You may have an issue with name resolution or an Internet Explorer Connections>LAN Settings configuration issue.

Test for name resolution/basic connectivity - click on START and then select RUN from the menu. In the RUN>OPEN field, type command. A DOS shell will open. From there, perform the following test.

If you see this, then you are ok w/ name resolution, but some other issue is preventing you from connecting to the site.

C:\> ping www.news.com

Pinging news.com [206.16.0.28] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 206.16.0.28:

Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),

Control-C

^C

If you see this, then you are not able to perform name resolution.

C:\> ping www.news.com

Ping request could not find host www.news.com. Please check the name and try again.

If you see this, then you're connectivity is fine. At this point, you need to check your DNS settings or there may be a problem with your ISP's DNS server. For the latter, try configuring your DNS server address as 204.57.55.100 (a free, alternate public DNS server).

C:\>ping 206.16.0.28

Pinging 206.16.0.28 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=241

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=241

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=241

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=241

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 74ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 76ms

If you see this, then try checking your IE settings. Go to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>CONNECTIONS>LAN SETTINGS and make sure "automatically detect settings" is checked.

C:\>ping www.news.com

Pinging news.com [206.16.0.28] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=241

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=241

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=241

Reply from 206.16.0.28: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=241

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 72ms, Maximum = 75ms, Average = 73ms

Originally posted by John0397

Gurus, help me please. My home computer threw me a nasty penalty flag. The crux of my problem, my computer sees my cable modem, the cable company sees my cable modem, but I cannot connect to the net or get email. I have Windows 98 second edition. I tried going through and reinstalling the communications options in widows, but still nothing. What else am I missing??

And yes, I did send this from work.

Can you 'splain it a bit more?

You need to make sure your internet explorer settings are not messed up, like Johnny said. No proxy set up and make sure the tab for lik, "always dial this connection" aren't checked.

I would definitly check to make sure the ethernet card is ok. If you just bought it, maybe return it for another one and say it doesn't work.

You might could check to see if there is a driver update for your card or download any other updates from work, burn them to a cd then install them when you get home...........

Well i am replying from my home computer. Got it fixed. Evidently i had an vicious program on there that screwed the winsock. Basically i had to uninstall the communications protocols, the winsock registry keys and reinstall the modem and communication protocols to get it back. Like i said before, it was not an issue of unplugging the modem and letting it reset itself. I am now downloading spybot search and destroy to scan my computer for more of these little nasty buggers. Thanks for the input from everyone. Have a great weekend.

Archived