Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Donte Curry and Donovan Arp

Thinking Skins

Two Signed

"The Redskins signed linebacker Donte Curry and defensive end Donovan Arp. Curry had spent time on Green Bay's practice squad this season after being signed by the Packers as an undrafted free agent. Arp, another undrafted free agent who was signed by Tennessee, was taken by the Redskins from the Titans' practice squad. The Redskins received a one-week roster exemption for Boose and had a second vacant roster spot after placing Barber on the injured reserve list."

Does anybody know anything about these guys? Their size, and stats in college would be nice. I dont know why I even bother, but I'm just praying that they are just two guys that have sooooo much potential that will be unleashed against the Giants this week,

but I realize that the Redskins just dont sign good defensive players. Its like a pledge that they've made to God or something....

I digress

these players were signed to fill in at the end of the bench until Arrington and Coleman are back in 2 weeks.

Don't expect either to be around long-term.

From what I have been able to glean from various publications and talking to some college football gurus (of which I admit I am not), they tell me that Otis Leverette, the defensive lineman taken from the Dolphins after the final round of cuts, is the player most likely to emerge from the younger DL's and make a contribution here.

They say he needs to gain 10-15 pounds on his 6'6 frame but has good skills to play end or tackle.

Evidently, Wannstedt wanted to keep Otis on the final roster but had a numbers crunch at other positions.

Brief on Curry.

Donte' Curry #56

Position: Linebacker

With Packers: Practice Squad 2001

College: Morris Brown

Ht: 6' 1"

Wt: 226 lbs

Born: 07/22/78

Acquired: Free Agent 2001

Signed to Washington Redskins active roster from the Packers practice squad at the begining of October.

Released in Packers final roster cutdown, but signed the next day to the Packers 5-member practice squad

Signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent on April 27, 2001

A two-year starter and letter winner (1999-2000) at Morris Brown; he had transferred from Middle Georgia Junior College in Cochran, Ga., where he played one season (1998)

Played in 10 games as a senior and led the Wolverines with 83 tackles, including 11 sacks and 19 for loss, plus 6 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 interception, 8 passes defensed and 1 blocked kick

Had 88 total tackles (led team), with 27 for loss and 15 sacks, his junior season while seeing action in 11 games; he also recorded 4 interceptions, 1 pass defensed, 1 fumble recovery and blocked 1 kick

Majored in therapeutic recreation

Earned all-state honors as a senior defensive end at Savannah (Ga.) High School

Lettered three years in football

Nicknamed 'Te'

Worked as a tire technician at a Goodyear store in Atlanta in the summer of 2000

Hobbies include drawing and spending time with his family

Separated, has one daughter, Teyanna (born 12/9/99), and resides in College Park, Ga.

Given name Donte Lamont Curry, born in Savannah, Ga.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

More on Curry...

Donte Curry, LB - Morris Brown

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 225 40-time: 4.65

STRENGTHS: Has good size, decent speed, and is a sure tackler in the open field…possesses good strength and is a candidate to sack quarterbacks who are looking to run…has a good knack for stopping running backs between the tackles.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve pass coverage, as he is known more as a run stopper…needs more strength and will probably need to add a few pounds to get a legitimate pro look…must learn to cover fast running backs and tight ends…must enhance quickness on run pursuit.

NOTABLE: Was a Black College Sports Network preseason All-American prior to the 2000 season…team was 4-6 during his senior year…had 16 tackles in a 44-23 loss to I-AA powerhouse Southern…tallied seven tackles and two pass breakups in a 24-19 loss to Gardner-Webb…registered six tackles and a blocked kick in a 19-16 loss to North Carolina Central…team surrendered 288.5 yards per game while employing a 4-3 set during his junior season…team was 6-5 in 1999.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Arp is 6-3, 265.

Junior college transfer to Louisville from a season ago who was elected a team captain for the 2000 season ... will be recovered from a ruptured Achilles’ tendon suffered midway through spring drills ... a hard worker who has the respect of the coaching staff and his peers.

1999: Junior college transfer who helped solidify an improving Cardinal defense ... team-high 16 tackles for loss were just three shy of school record set by former NFL lineman Mike Flores ... tied for the team lead with seven sacks ... topped all defensive linemen with 45 tackles ... credited with a pair of tackles in Humanitarian Bowl ... season-high eight tackles in home win over Houston ... two tackles and a sack in season ending loss to Southern Miss ... blocked a punt from punt-safe formation in the win over Houston ... five tackles including a pair of sacks versus Oklahoma ... three tackles for loss among his four total stops in home win over UAB ... six tackles including a sack in win at Cincinnati.

Junior College: Defensive end from Snow College who saw action in five games in ‘98 ... totaled 37 tackles including four for loss and six sacks ... helped Snow to an 8-2 mark and a win in the Dixie Rotary Bowl ... recorded six tackles and a sack in the bowl win despite an ankle injury ... led team with 11 quarterback pressures ... tied for team lead in sacks as a freshman with seven despite a reserve role.

Personal: Biology major ... born Jan. 12, 1978.

Tackles tt s tfl fc fr int pbu

1999 45 7 16 1 1 0 2

------------------

Doom is in the box.

More on Arp.

Donovan Arp, DT - Louisville

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 265 40-time: 5.00

STRENGTHS: Durable player who started all 24 contests in his two-year Louisville career. Hard worker who earns immediate respect due to his hustle and success. Uses quickness and good leverage to get outstanding penetration into the backfield. Makes big plays, especially against the run. Quick healer who rebounded from a ruptured Achilles in the spring of 2000. Loves to play the game and will do whatever is asked of him.

WEAKNESSES: Is a bit undersized for a defensive tackle. Lacks true speed and acceleration to the ball. Won't overpower many NFL offensive linemen. Doesn't have spectacular physical tools. Played just two seasons of I-A football.

NOTABLE: Second-team All-Conference USA. Finished two-year career with 32 tackles for loss, 16 in both seasons. Helped the Cardinal defense rank 14th nationally overall, and fourth against the run (79.9 yards/game) last year. Played his first two seasons at Snow Junior College (Utah).

------------------

Doom is in the box.

geez, only 5.0 speed at 265?

There are 260 pounders like Kalu that run a 4.6.

What is interesting is that the Skins signed a linebacker off the Packers practice squad to fill the hole created by the injury to Barber and did not take one of the linebackers off their own squad.

I guess that shows the lack of upside for Murphy, etc..?

Archived