Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Al-Qaida has obtained tactical nuclear explosives

stratoman

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/392006.html

Al-Qaida has possessed tactical nuclear weapons for about six years, the London-based Al-Hayat newspaper reported Sunday.

The Arabic daily reported that sources close to Al-Qaida said Osama bin Laden's group bought the nuclear weapons from Ukrainian scientists who were visiting Kandahar, Afghanistan, in 1998.

The report has not been confirmed.

However, the sources said Al-Qaida doesn't intend to use the weapons against American forces in Muslim countries, "due to the serious damage" it could cause. But that decision is subject to change, the sources said, if Al-Qaida "is dealt a serious blow that won't leave it any room to maneuver."

The possibility of detonating the nuclear devices on American soil was also raised in the report, although no details were given.

The sources were quoted as saying that Al-Qaida actvists have hidden the weapons - each of which is about the size of a suitcase - in "a safe place."

Kandahar was the stronghold of the Taliban, which kept Afghanistan under tight religious restrictions until the United States attacked it in retaliation for the September 2001 attacks.

In the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, serious concern arose in the West over the possibility that nuclear technology and weapons could spread to other groups, in part due to the difficult economic situation in the former communist lands. Several reports of the nuclear arsenal in the former Soviet Union in the 1990s indicated that a few dozen nuclear explosive devices had disappeared. One of the theories was that the devices disappeared in Ukraine, which claims that it handed over all its nuclear weapons to Russia.

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

I'll tell you what, if a nuclear device is used against US/Allied forces, especially on US soil, then you can bet that we will own most of the Middle East/Persian Gulf region.

Our response in WWI, WWII and every war therafter will pale in comparison.

That is true, and God forbid it ever happens, and God forbid further that if it did happen (God forbid), it was actually the North Koreans or Chinese or French.

After running a couple of searches ("Al Qaeda nuclear" & "Al Qaida nuclear") I was quite surprised to find quite a few reports as far back as early 2002 that they may have acquired nukes. These reports run across all levels of believability from respected newspapers to political GOP websites to rumor-mill message boards.

I'm no alarmist but I have to admit that (to me) the sheer volume of info out there a little bit disturbing.

Archived