Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Chamberlain a Gibbs-type?

freakofthesouth

With all of the talk of bolstering the TE corps, there has been little discussion of the existing players, and who will contribute to the Gibbs system.

Enter Chamberlain. A great TE, w/ some motivational complications. Not to mention, he came in mid-season last year, and did not excel learning Spurrier's offense. Maybe Spurrier never evern taught him! Who knows...

I was on the ol' XBox this weekend (Madden 04), checking out the #s for all TEs in the league. Just past the Shockeys and the Gonzales', I noticed that Chamberlain was in the top ten for TEs (81). He even had relatively strong blocking #s. (I know Madden is not reality, but it is a good guage.)

He's had some success in the past, with pro-bowl trips, and the like.

My point here is that he may find himself a perfect fit here in Gibbs' offense. With an off-season of work and preperation, he could credibly take on the role as the #1 TE, hypothetically speaking.

I am well-aware of the complications he's had in the past w/ ephedra, etc. I know that Gibbs won't stand for any behavior like that.

So, maybe we could see a well-coached, rejuvinated Chamberlain come September. Thus, one less player we have to go and seek out, and spend signing $$ on.

He'l probably make our team. Life as some of the players knew it is over. We're going in a new direction and players will want to prove themselves. You could see a lot of the players were not motivated because our coaching staff couldn't motivate them. Why would any player on the Redskins what to leave now? The players are in a very good situation and in a year or 2 be in Super Bowl.

I too have been wondering why we're so quick to write this guy off. I think he could be the correct answer to our problems with the right conditioning, a full off season with the Skins, and a full training camp. We don't need the hottest TE in college. I'd like to have a Marcus Pollard type, blocks well AND catches well. Seems to be that Chamberlain could be the guy. And it seems like has a little something to prove.

Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis said Spurrier didn't know what he was doing. Every athlete isn't a Art Monk, Jerry Rice, Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan. Some need coaching to do their jobs and be the player their capable of being. Our entire teams needs an attitude adjustment but we dont know about all of our players. Betts, Jacobs, Lott, Chamberlin and Gardner can probably play with the right coaching. We need to see before we just right them off. Look how Spurrier dealt with S. Davis and got rid of him. Gibbs wont make that mistake at any position.

I doubt it puts it to rest. Maybe it'll give all the Winslow advocates something to think about though. Ya know, loosen up the tunnel-vision.

Its all speculation right now. Lotta if/ands/buts. I just think that if Chamberlain can be whipped into shape (and if he has any understanding of what Gibbs means to this franchise, he'll already have his pie eatin arse in the weight room) then it could solve one of our problem areas, and allow us to spend more dough on all the other areas of need.

TK,

I simply am trying to put into perspective that TE, although we need capable depth there, is not a glaring need, that would necessitate our first-round pick.

I like two things: trade down...get more value...or take the franchise player w/ Taylor, anchoring the 46 secondary.

KWJr, although a string prospect, is not an ultimate need on this team. With the potential that Chamberlain still may have, we should attempt to work w/ what we have here.

Did you guys even see him this year? I mean in actual football, not in a video game?

I remember watching him catch a pass this year -- yeah, one of the four he caught -- and thinking that he must be the fattest tight end in the NFL. For a second I thought it was a tackle-eligible play. The man is a fat tub of goo.

He's also 33 years old, unmotivated, fat, and already been suspended for drugs -- and he got benched in favor of rookie Kevin Ware this year.

Let him go.

Freak, I totally agree. I too think there are much larger needs to be addressed. If KW is picked up at #5, I ain't gonna ***** cause he is a great player. But agree that getting Taylor or trading down seems like a better idea. I also agree with cabledude, that anytime you come in during the season, you're kinda screwed from the get go. Ultimately, the ball is in Mr Chamberlain's court. I think he could be a helluva productive player in the right system, and with the right coaching. And I mean ACTUAL coaching, not coaching merely by definition of the position.

My feeling is that there are probably a handfull of guys on this team that everyone is ready to write off who may possibly be "diamonds in the rough". Gibbs is a very strong coach, and I think he'll get the production he wants out of the players he keeps.

Navy Dave...

You gotta give this guy a shot...he might pull it together...

And you're right. He might not. But the potential is there, and that's the point here.

Gibbs can whip his fat a$$ into shape, and make him productive.

As mentioned, Gibbs will know. He won't waste his time. So if Chamberlain makes it, his potential will be realized under Gibbs.

Originally posted by bulldog

yep, chamberlain is a Gibbs player at TE. After all he:

1. Has been suspended for drug use

2. Came to the team 30 pounds overweight

3. Can't block any better than Tim Hasselbeck or Patrick Ramsey

:rolleyes:

Hey Bulldog! Good to see you're putting some thought and compostion into your posts...

If he's such a sh*t player, how did he make it to the probowl?

Originally posted by TK421Band

I too have been wondering why we're so quick to write this guy off. I think he could be the correct answer to our problems with the right conditioning, a full off season with the Skins, and a full training camp. We don't need the hottest TE in college. I'd like to have a Marcus Pollard type, blocks well AND catches well. Seems to be that Chamberlain could be the guy. And it seems like has a little something to prove.

That's Chamberlain's problem. Even if he came into camp in total game shape, changed into one of the hardest workers in the NFL, he'd still be just one of the top recieving tight ends. Madden '04 has his numbers wrong in the blocking respect. One of my best friends is a Vikings fan, so I've watched many of their games in the past. The man can't block well, that's why he always went out on a route, instead of staying in the backfield to block, he can't.

Gibbs loves a TE that can block more than a TE that can catch. The two Redskins TE's of the Gibbs days, past, that I remember the most were Ore and Middleton, two great blocking TE's. One of them on occasions would go out on deep routes, but it was a rare occasion.

Archived