Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE (un)OFFICIAL 1st Round Draft Poll

Prosperity

I would be a Taylor guy if I thought he was a dynamic player like Roy Williams was in college and is in the pros. I just don't think he is. I think Taylor may be the best prospect overall in this draft. But he's not breathtaking in my view. Williams was the best safety prospect to EVER come out into the NFL draft. Taylor may be a better pro than Williams, but the shine is just not quite as bright in my view.

Meanwhile, Winslow is the best tight end prospect to ever come out into the NFL draft. If he lives up to his potential and is capable of catching 70 to 80 balls a year while creating vast matchup problems for the opposition while we are in our standard sets, then no player in this draft will help this team as much as Winslow would.

Well, save an elite QB, but we're not shopping there.

Jones or Harris .. there's a good chance we could drop back several slots and get at least one .. possibly either. I am intrigued by Sean Taylor .. but I'm not sold yet.

I also agree Larry Fitz should be on that list, as I am a diehard subscriber to the 'best available player' philosophy, regardless of position. Glaring holes can be adressed through free agency .. but drafting without immediate needs in mind the best for any team in the long run.

No doubt Taylor and Winslow are top flight players. Maybe even future Pro Bowlers at their positions.

The trouble is that their positions don't generally change games, and their positions, while certainly "needs" for the Skins, aren't the top needs.

Safety and tight end are not premier positions in the NFL because, first of all, neither of them is in position to make plays most of the time. Yes, safeties make the occasional bone-jarring hit, and tight ends make the occasional big catch, but they are supplementary players. Further, in Gibbs offense the TE spends a lot of his time in pass protection -- although Gibbs might change things if he's got a star there.

And then there's the "need" issue. If I were to rank the Skins needs based on Gibb's history, I'd say DE, DT, RB, TE, S, P. Lose Bailey and DB falls just behind DE. So if you grab a S or TE with your top pick, you really hamstring your ability to fill the holes at DE and DT with top-flight players.

So if by draft day the Skins have found some players who can rush the passer, then I say grab Taylor or Winslow. If not, you have to make some moves to find a pass rusher. Grabbing Taylor or Winslow is a luxury -- I'd love to see both of them as Skins -- but the Skins aren't in position to sign them when they have such glaring holes on the DL.

Originally posted by Equality

Tommie Harris is a great DE prospect, most people think he just some fat D lineman, nothing can be farther from the truth. He is 290 and runs a 4.6 forty he may not be a great DT but he could be a great DE even at the pro level.

So with the 5th pick would you expeirment and see if he could play end?

Originally posted by Equality

It is the same thing as centers moving to guard or tackles to center, its the same basic thing he just does it a different way, and yes IF Taylor is picked by the Giants then I would pick Tommie Harris and move him to DE.

If Taylor is not there I would trade down Harris would get a lot of money and would probally have little impact his first 2 years there is little to no dropp off between him and Udeze and one of the two would 10 times out of 10 be available as far back as 10.

Tommie Harris (jr.), DT, Oklahoma (6-3, 280) | previous ranking: unranked

Harris has been a fixture on the defensive line for the Sooners since his freshman year. He played through injury in 2002 and was not as effective as the year before, yet he was still able to occupy blockers and free his teammates to make plays. Harris is not a guy who will dominate with brute force, but what makes him effective is his quickness off the ball and ability to shed blocks and get into the backfield. You would like to see him dominate games on a more consistent basis despite the fact that he is double and triple-teamed on every play, though. He does not pile up lots of tackles or wow you from a production standpoint, but Harris does hustle for 60 minutes and allow his teammates to do their jobs. When he does make plays, though, they are usually big ones in the offensive backfield. Harris may not the top-five guy I once envisioned, but certainly worthy of being taken in the top 10 overall.

saying he may not be top 5 but he is still top 10 is ridiculous, how do you quantify that? The difference between top 10 and top 5 is miniscule and is usually dictated by team need. That being said, I don't put much stock in Mel Kiper Jr. in January.

We NEED D.. It's looks like we have our pick of D players as we'll likely be the first to draft a defensive player. So I will be happy with Udeze, Harris, or Taylor. They all serve a need.

Best thing is to trade down, picking up atleast 2-1sts and a 2nd or 3rd.

Then we could do a lot of repairing.

Art

Roy Williams was most certainly NOT the best S prospect to ever come out. I can't tell you much about how players were rated pre-1990 but Mark Carrier and Eric Turner were the highest rated safeties from the past decade or so. Ronnie Lott was taken higher though he came out as sort of a CB/S hybrid. But if you threw him in there, he'd be ahead of all of those players.

If you feel that Taylor is not "breathtaking" then you haven't seen much of Miami. He has the best range of any safety I have ever seen. You simply cannot get the ball over his head.

Even if you didn't see the games, and you go by his production (10 picks) and his triangle numbers (6'3" 225, 4.45 40) - you come away with jaw agape.

Dirk

Originally posted by Even Madder

No doubt Taylor and Winslow are top flight players. Maybe even future Pro Bowlers at their positions.

The trouble is that their positions don't generally change games, and their positions, while certainly "needs" for the Skins, aren't the top needs.

Safety and tight end are not premier positions in the NFL because, first of all, neither of them is in position to make plays most of the time. Yes, safeties make the occasional bone-jarring hit, and tight ends make the occasional big catch, but they are supplementary players. Further, in Gibbs offense the TE spends a lot of his time in pass protection -- although Gibbs might change things if he's got a star there.

And then there's the "need" issue. If I were to rank the Skins needs based on Gibb's history, I'd say DE, DT, RB, TE, S, P. Lose Bailey and DB falls just behind DE. So if you grab a S or TE with your top pick, you really hamstring your ability to fill the holes at DE and DT with top-flight players.

So if by draft day the Skins have found some players who can rush the passer, then I say grab Taylor or Winslow. If not, you have to make some moves to find a pass rusher. Grabbing Taylor or Winslow is a luxury -- I'd love to see both of them as Skins -- but the Skins aren't in position to sign them when they have such glaring holes on the DL.

Archived