Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Bailey is the best Corner in football.......

michael_33

Originally posted by KTrainSkinsFan

Look, you can keep making excuses for the guy all you want. The fact is, he doesn't make the big time plays...How long can you blame that on DLine...give me a break

How is it I am making excuses? Is it because I'm not some blind sheep that quietly follows what the board consenus is on a player, no matter how wrong or stupid? Is because I actually have an opinion, and don't feel intimidated by others when I feel like expressing it? Whatever it is, I don't make excuses. I just tell facts. The fact is most effective corners are good because they have the DL to support them and not leave them hanging. This is just a simple football fact, not an excuse. The same law applies to the recievers, the OL doesn't block well then they can't get the ball.

Another thing is, Champ didn't play that bad. Some of you either have poor memories or haven't watched any games. Champ would give up a few catches a game, and one big play. I make no excuses for his play, it was not up to his usual standards. Yet I'm smart enough to realize that if we judged every player in the league off of one season, NONE of them would be elite players and Smoot would be playing for Detroit. :doh:

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I would love to see you actually try to cover every team's best reciever while your DL doesn't come close to pressuring the QB.

!

You would love to see me??? Why?? What does that have to do with anything?? I'm not Champ Bailey...I didn't say I was the best cover corner in football...I didn't say before the first Giants game "That's what I do, you put me on somebody and I just shut them down" and then proceed to get burned for a 50+yd TD pass.

Give me a break.

If you are supposedly so good, you shouldn't make excuses and people shouldn't make excuses for you. I think Smoot had a great year this year, and guess what, HE HAS THE SAME DLINE!!!

Isn't that amazing??

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Deion sucked in Atlanta I remember when Jerry Rice was torching Deion.

Deion didn't suck in Atlanta, he was damn good. Yet he also didn't get a chance to make many plays because QBs were afraid to test him. He also had a....pass rush, I wonder if we forgot to get one of those.

I would like to know who on our defense did make a big play this year? When was the last time we even had a D linemen go to the pro bowl. We stunk last year and it all wasn't because of Champ. It takes 11 guys to have a good defense not one good DB.

Smoot had an INT to beat the Patriots

Deion didn't suck in Atlanta, he was damn good. Yet he also didn't get a chance to make many plays because QBs were afraid to test him. He also had a....pass rush, I wonder if we forgot to get one of those.

Didn't have the chance to make plays?????

What are you talking about?

Deion made his reputation in Atlanta...That's where he got his PRIMETIME nickname...He lead the league in INTs at Atlanta...I'm confused

You would love to see me??? Why?? What does that have to do with anything?? I'm not Champ Bailey...I didn't say I was the best cover corner in football...I didn't say before the first Giants game "That's what I do, you put me on somebody and I just shut them down" and then proceed to get burned for a 50+yd TD pass.

Give me a break.

If you are supposedly so good, you shouldn't make excuses and people shouldn't make excuses for you. I think Smoot had a great year this year, and guess what, HE HAS THE SAME DLINE!!!

Isn't that amazing??

I was making a point, you obviously don't have the slightest clue about cornerbacking in the NFL. Yes, Champ ended up with his foot in his mouth when Toomer beat him. It proves that he isn't perfect, yet how exactly does that justify the outlash he has recieved by fans because of it? Every player on our defense got beat at some point, are you going to criticize them as well?

And Smoot covered the #2 reciever for most of the time. Alot easier to handle with a poor pass rush, don't you think?

It wasnt Smoot it was the nickle back but Champ Bailey was NFC player of the week. That game was his best this year for his so called bad defensive play. The only time any one from our defensive won the award last year.

No, you're wrong, it was Smoot. He made the INT to stop the NE drive at the end.

Champ made a great play early in the game, forcing a fumble in the backfield.

Deion got his name in Florida State and I'm not saying he didn't make plays either. I will say he is a lot of hype and he didn't win nothing until he went to the 49ers and the Cowgirls. It wasn't because he was making plays. He went to good defensive teams and made them better. Do you guys want to see Champ do a Stephen Davis on us? Then we can say we need Champ like we need Stephen right now.

Didn't have the chance to make plays?????

What are you talking about?

Deion made his reputation in Atlanta...That's where he got his PRIMETIME nickname...He lead the league in INTs at Atlanta...I'm confused

What year? I never recalled that, but I do recall teams' avoiding him for most of his tenure with the Falcons.

I was making a point, you obviously don't have the slightest clue about cornerbacking in the NFL. Yes, Champ ended up with his foot in his mouth when Toomer beat him. It proves that he isn't perfect, yet how exactly does that justify the outlash he has recieved by fans because of it? Every player on our defense got beat at some point, are you going to criticize them as well?

And Smoot covered the #2 reciever for most of the time. Alot easier to handle with a poor pass rush, don't you think?

There is no outlash...

Once again, I love Champ, want to see him stay a Redskin, and believe he is a great cover corner....However, as I have said almost 10 times, he does have the risk taking propensity that other great corners have. I think to be a playmaker you have to have that propensity.

No, you're wrong, it was Smoot. He made the INT to stop the NE drive at the end.

Champ made a great play early in the game, forcing a fumble in the backfield.

Um, that was Champ. He caught the INT when the Pats were driving down the field late in the game. Maybe you have a better chance at arguing your point if you knew exactly who caught INTs and at what time.

Originally posted by a_good_brotha

I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but this is my point of view. If Champ didn't have to worry about looking back to see if he is needed to tackle a runner because the d-line sucks, then maybe he could cover the wideouts. Just a thought. I used to bash Champ all season, but I'm beginning to give it a second thought. I think we need him on the roster. I'm not even worried about the salary cap because I know Gibbs will have a lot of input and influence the right decision on how much Champ is worth.

Damn, I wonder what Smoot's problem was this year?? :pooh:

The fact is... Champ is overrated. He's a solid corner. But he's not a playmaker. He's not a Ray Lewis, He's not the Deion Sanders of old. He's solid. That's it. So, if he's solid..then he should get solid salary numbers according to his position. Not playmaking salary numbers. There are other CB's out there for alot cheaper and play just the same as Champ does for a lot less.

So unless he comes down from his demands. Franchise his ass and then trade him.

Or sign him to something he deserves. Not what he thinks he deserves.

Smoots problem was the same as Champs we were 5/11 that means the whole team stinks. Smoot will be a FA next year and he'll want his money also. Would we be talking about Champ if it wasn't time for a new contract? Our owner likes paying players why wouldn't he have a big press conference and pay Champ? His demands aren't even high he just wants his money up front like Deion, Coles, Thomas, George, Smith and how other FA got paid.

You bring in the other corners then players on our team will say if they get rid of Champ what will they do when it's my turn to get paid? You cant do that and with our history of FA why take that chance. Last year was the first time we actually had some FA live up to the hype. They all came from the Jets we have a player there why create that hole? In case you didn't release it this aint Madden 2004 and you just get a player and he plays. Leave Champ alone and lets get a RB and a good Defensive Line

Leave Champ alone and lets get a RB and a good Defensive Line

I agree, this team would perform alot better with both. Our defense could be very good without changing any of the back 7 and just upgrading the DL. Although I feel there will be changes at safety, linebacker, and the DL. It'll be for the best in the end.

Originally posted by spearhed

Jerry Rice is really a horrible receiver too, especially when Deion was in Atlanta and Rice was in his prime. The sooner they make Champ a small qualifying offer and somebody else pays him, and we get some draft picks with cap space to sign real PLAYMAKERS, the better:rolleyes:

What are you trying to say? I don't understand. Honestly, I just don't understand.

Archived