Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

mort just said grimm not oc of pitt

bsmsss

mort just stated that whitehurst the steelers te coach will be named oc of the steelers

if we give grimm our oc postion thats an up grade and thus he can come to the skins

could be interesting

ps: i would post links but i have no idea how to do that--

thus i will post where i read or hear info

pss:-still getting used to how the board works-i should improve with time--im not a water boy for nothing-lol

:eaglesuck

http://www.steelers.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=224606

Steelers coaching staff continues to change

January 15, 2004

By Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers lost one coach on Wednesday, but another will stay as two head coaching positions were filled in the NFL.

Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was named the Buffalo Bills head coach and will be introduced at a press conference on Thursday. Russ Grimm, who was a candidate for the Chicago Bears head coaching job, will remain with the black and gold as they hired Lovie Smith for the position.

"I was flattered to be considered," said Grimm.

Russ Grimm will remain with the Steelers after Lovie Smith was named the Chicago Bears head coach.

Now the Steelers face the challenge of replacing both of their coordinators, and their wide receivers coach, after thinking there would be no changes to their coaching staff when the season ended.

Three candidates have been interviewed for defensive coordinator, which opened when Tim Lewis was dismissed. Interviews are also underway to look for a replacement for wide receivers coach Kenny Jackson, who did not have his contract renewed.

Willy Robinson, the team's defensive backs coach, has spoken with head coach Bill Cowher about the defensive coordinator position, as well as Dick LeBeau and Greg Blache. Robinson has been with the Steelers since 2000 and is highly regarded in the NFL. If he doesn't land the Steelers defensive coordinator position, there are reports in the San Francisco media that he would be considered for the same position there.

LeBeau, who was an assistant head coach with the Bills last season, coached with the Steelers from 1992-96, including two years as defensive coordinator. He also remains a candidate to become the Bills defensive coordinator. Blache is the Chicago Bears defensive coordinator and has one year remaining on his contract, but faces an uncertain future there with Smith just being named head coach.

"I've always had a special spot in my heart for Pittsburgh and the years I spent here," said LeBeau when he was in Pittsburgh for his interview. "If my memory serves me right, we won a couple of games. The people here, the sports fans of Pittsburgh are exceptional and they were always particularly good to me. It's always been like coming home."

03_TC_Grimm.gif

Originally posted by bsmsss

mort just stated that whitehurst the steelers te coach will be named oc of the steelers

if we give grimm our oc postion thats an up grade and thus he can come to the skins

could be interesting

ps: i would post links but i have no idea how to do that--

thus i will post where i read or hear info

pss:-still getting used to how the board works-i should improve with time--im not a water boy for nothing-lol

:eaglesuck

All you have to do is go to the webpage you want to copy your link from, go to your address box, right-click on your mouse and select 'copy'. Then, when you're writing your post, right click again and 'paste'. Or, you can click on the chain 'hyperlink' icon above the blank box and paste it there. If you use the 'hyperlink' option, just be aware that the first box is for a label (such as 'Steelers new OC article'), the second box will be where you paste the web address for the link.

Hope that helps

Originally posted by Tarhog

btw...is there any evidence that Gibbs is even considering Grimm...I haven't seen any first-hand evidence.

In the first series of articles after Gibbs was hired (and incidentally before he knew the league rules limiting the hiring of assistants under contract to other teams) there were many reports that JG wanted Grimm as OC and possibly to be groomed to take over the team after he left the sidelines.

Since then things have changed-- at least publically. I think the silence and denial of contact/interest by both RG and JG is just a bit of disinformation. If either party were to admit any interest in the other, that could be construed as evidence of tampering which is a violation of league rules.

Gibbs wants Grimm and he will move heaven and earth-- behind the scenes-- to get him.

He can't come here as a OC. It has been posted numerous times here that his contract only allows him to interview for HC positions. He has one more year left on his contract, if not extended that's the only chance we have of him coming to DC.

Could we offer him the job without interviewing him? That may sound dumb but why do we need to interview a guy who was with the club for almost 20 years? The Steelers can block the interview but can they deny us the opportunity to offer Grimm the job? Does anybody know if that is legal?

Even if they can we should wait until his contract runs out next year and then offer him the job. Gibbs worked for most of his first tenure without an OC, what is one extra year while we wait for the guy we want to become available.

Originally posted by skins19

Could we offer him the job without interviewing him? That may sound dumb but why do we need to interview a guy who was with the club for almost 20 years? The Steelers can block the interview but can they deny us the opportunity to offer Grimm the job? Does anybody know if that is legal?

You cant offer a player or coach on another team a job or in fact even discuss acquiring them. That is tampering.

Second, what good does it do to "offer" him a job, when he can't take it because he is under contract. :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if we offered him the job if he could opt out of his contract for a promotion with another team. I didn't know if that just worked with a head coaching job or any promotion offered to a coach. The NFL has so many rules on what constitutes tampering that I was just looking for some clarification.

Why worry. WE can get him next year, after Cowher gets fired. Who is going to be blame next year when the Steelers fail again. Cowher is reaching the point where he will be pushed out of Pittsburgh. Two playoff birth in 5 years and what will be 2 playff births in 6 years; will finally do who him.

WE can get Grimm in 2005.

Archived