Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robaire Smith to hit the market

goldenster95

Something we already knew already. The Titans are in cap hell and can't afford to keep him. The question is whether they'll be able to hang onto Kearse. I say that our biggest splashes in FA should be Smith at DT and either Kearse, Wistrom, or Howard at DE.

We then take Taylor at #5, another DT like Tubbs with our second round pick, and TE or RB with our third.

Titans | Smith To Test Market - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:52:44 -0800

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans DT Robaire Smith, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, is set to test his market value when the free agency period begins in March. ''I am confident there are people around the league who want Robaire Smith,'' Smith's agent Mike Harrison said. ''Robaire wants to go where he is getting treated fairly. He would like to be back there, it's his No. 1 thing. But since we haven't heard anything back from the Titans at this point, our intentions are to go on the market and see what happens.''

Originally posted by rellim

Sign him as soon as the free agent market opens.

I've heard he's the real deal. But the person who'd know best is Gregg Williams, his former d-coordinator. If he's not worth the money he'll be asking for, Williams will be sure to give Gibbs the 411 on that.

He's not worth alot of money. Haynesworth is the guy they want to anchor that line and I won't be surprised if they try to lock Kearse up. Smith is the weak link on that line.

Though he is better than anyone else we have, I think we can spend our money on some better players.

Titans | Smith To Test Market - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:52:44 -0800

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans DT Robaire Smith, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, is set to test his market value when the free agency period begins in March. ''I am confident there are people around the league who want Robaire Smith,'' Smith's agent Mike Harrison said. ''Robaire wants to go where he is getting treated fairly. He would like to be back there, it's his No. 1 thing. But since we haven't heard anything back from the Titans at this point, our intentions are to go on the market and see what happens.''

are we ever going to use our draft choice(s) on a defensive lineman? :laugh:

I just ask because after going through all the free agents we have already since 1998 I would think there would be a reluctance to sink any more big dollars into a player someone else doesn't value enough to franchise or work a long term contract out with :)

Originally posted by bulldog

I just ask because after going through all the free agents we have already since 1998 I would think there would be a reluctance to sink any more big dollars into a player someone else doesn't value enough to franchise or work a long term contract out with :)

If there were D lineman worth a damn in the draft this year, id be with you on this statement....

Originally posted by Oldskool

If there were D lineman worth a damn in the draft this year, id be with you on this statement....

Oldskool, I remember you saying that you were a USC fan and that Udeze wasn't worth our fifth overall pick. Would you elaborate on that thought?

Originally posted by goldenster95

Oldskool, I remember you saying that you were a USC fan and that Udeze wasn't worth our fifth overall pick. Would you elaborate on that thought?

I should have clarified and meant DT/NT. I'd love to take Udeze but not at #5. Wynn and Upshaw could do wonders IMHO if we had DT's worth their weight and salt.

Robaire actually took on way more double teams then Haynesworth thier young 2yr DT. Smith has been very impressive in the 3 Titans games I watched this year and would be my number 1 Dt in free agency.I'd even try to get Cornelius Griffin from the Giants .It would give us 2 very active athletic DT's that are both young under 27yrs old and won't break the bank. I'd look at Bertrand Berry RDE from Denver 27yrs old with 12.5 sacks UFA and RFA Reggie Hayward LDE 23yrs old 8.5 sacks also from Denver.Hayward would cost a 5th but this was his 1st year of playing in his 3rd year.He DNP has a rookie and missed all last season with a jaw injury.He was a 2001 3rd rounder well worth the 5th. Adding all 4 of those guys would improve our D-Line dramatically and not break the bank. It would leave money to fill other voids at RB maybe Dillion,TE maybe Kliensasser or Kinney,S maybe Jerome Woods 1st time pro bowler this year,and/or give us the ability to go BPA available in the draft.I think the squad would have a great chance to win 10 games under Gibbs.

Originally posted by bulldog

Here's our history of drafting defensive linemen since 1993:

DE Kenard Lang: Round 1, 1997

DE Sterling Palmer: Round 4, 1993

DE Ritchie Owens: Round 5, 1995

DE Dexter Nottage: Round 6, 1994

DE Kelvin Kinney: Round 6, 1996

DE Greg Scott: Round 7, 2002

DT Mario Monds: Round 6, 2001

DT Delbert Cowsette: Round 7, 2000

Pretty pitiful, only one first day DL pick in 11 years. We need to do something about that this year.

Archived