Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Keep, aquire, and the 2nd Round

KirkNC

If Champ will agree to a reasonable contract I think he should be kept. If not he should be franchised and kept unless we actually get the full price for him: 2 first rounders; and that is not likely.

Champ is one hell of a corner that with Williams as DC will allow this defense to be more agressive in it's blitz and run D. Champ ain't perfect but he is about as solid as they come at corner.

I would love the see the Skins gather additional picks for this years draft and I feel there are two decent strategies of doing so:

Trading down in the draft. Depending on who is available, there could be a nice deal to move down for us. Sure that means passing on the player you covet (Udeze, Jones, Winslow, Taylor) but we will pick up several solid picks in the process. Then we do it again for yet additional picks.

Free Agency will have a lot to do with where our needs are greatest come draft time no doubt. I hope we see DE Winstrom, DT Robaire Smith or D Howard if he comes available. At corner it would be awesome to still get Winfield even if Champ is kept. TE Bruener and Kinney would be wonderfull. Back's Dillion or Duce would make me rest easier. Center D Woody perhaps.

Regardless I would hope to see a DE and a DT come in the draft that have strong upsides and are solid prospects (1st or 2nd round) Depending of Woody a Center may well be a big priority. I think Fior/Friedman could get the job done for a year or two but they would best serve as back-ups for the team. A Woody or a rookie overtaking the F/F combo would really solidify the line.

Back could be a need if we do not land a decent Vet to compete with Betts ( I do not feel the other backs are legit to carry the load for a Gibbs O.). And a TE prospect is still needed into that mix. A safety prospect is need and most likely a CB prospect is needed as well.

So what I see is the need for the team to aquire 4 2nd round and 2 3rd round picks to really fill out our roster come April for a legitimate push in 2004. I love the second round. The talent is very strong, they typically sign 4 year deals and they come at a extremely favorable cap cost.

Most would not need to be immediate starters but to come around as solid contributors for the 2004 campaign.

The second way is trading Gardner for a second. I think we would find a taker out there. I am not going to rip Gardner as I think he will prove to be a very solid #2 in this league for years to come. The reasom I think it's the move to make is that McCants can be his equal on the field and is worth so much more in the locker room.

Additionally I think between Jacobs, Russel, and Patrick J we have a decent collective for the 3/4 slots already in place on the roster.

These moves would really set this team up with young depth in need positions in a very favorable long term position.

Additionally I think between Jacobs, Russel, and Patrick J we have a decent collective for the 3/4 slots already in place on the roster.

What has Russell done to support that hope?

what has Jacobs done to support that hope? Yes he was injured. But still, any and ALL hope concerning jacobs is based on his college career.

Neither have done ONE thing to prove themselves. Except to a certain fired staff of incompetents.

Maybe they will become worthy of the draft slot. But that is still up in the air.

While I'd entertain a Gardner trade that would benefit the skins, remember this staff wasn't around last year. They haven't seen either Gardner or McCants practice, nor watched much film. I think it unlikely they would trade someone unless that player is a problem or they do not like what they see on film.

I really dislike trading down in the draft when you are in position to take an impact player. The Skins need to stay put with that 5th pick and hope S. Taylor is there, if not then the Skins should entertain trade offers because other than Taylor there is probably no defensive player that should go in the top 10.

There isn't much difference between the top 3 DTs and top 2 DEs and one of those 5 will be available in the mid to late teens of hte first round.

Originally posted by Montilar

What has Russell done to support that hope?

what has Jacobs done to support that hope?

I thought Patrick Johnson showed some pretty good flashes last year. Enough to show that he could probably get the job done as the 3rd WR. As for Jacobs how much does one have to show to be the 4th WR and as for Russell how much does one have to show to be the 5th WR?

Now I'm not really for trading Gardner but its not like it would devastate the offense if he was traded.

Does anyone remember the Smurfs, aka Alvin Garrett and Charlie Brown? While Johnson is not quite that short, he fits the mold and adds speed to special teams. He has a good chance of sticking. Of course, it's easy to speculate who stays and who goes but Gibbs' rosters in the past quite often didn't match with my predictions.

As far as Jacobs... all the prognosticators said he was anywhere from a mid first to a early second round choice. Does that mean he can't be a bust? Nope. But it does mean that the guy deserves a chance. Very few wr seem to storm out of the gates and if you couple the that, with the lack of discipline, and injuries... the guy didn't have that much of a chance. I think Spurrier mentally decided early on to redshirt him. He didn't want Jacobs to lose a year of eligibility.

I didn't say a thing about Johnson. I said that jacobs and russell are unproven and should not be counted on to be more than they've shown themselves to be. In other words, the jury is still out....

Johnson is a free agent I thought. I'd try to bring him back. But I wouldn't break the bank either.

Whoa, Kirk. This sounds like another "three year plan". To heck with that!

Originally posted by KirkNC

If Champ will agree to a reasonable contract I think he should be kept. If not he should be franchised and kept unless we actually get the full price for him: 2 first rounders; and that is not likely.

So what is a reasonable price for Champ? Highest paid corner in the league? He won't come cheap. If he can't be signed, I'd look to trade him to Atlanta for the #7 pick and either players or additional picks.

I would love the see the Skins gather additional picks for this years draft and I feel there are two decent strategies of doing so:

Trading down in the draft. Depending on who is available, there could be a nice deal to move down for us. Sure that means passing on the player you covet (Udeze, Jones, Winslow, Taylor) but we will pick up several solid picks in the process. Then we do it again for yet additional picks.

Absolutely not! You just named four true difference makers, IMO.

The second way is trading Gardner for a second. I think we would find a taker out there. I am not going to rip Gardner as I think he will prove to be a very solid #2 in this league for years to come.

What? You don't trade a solid young receiver for a draft pick. He'll do very well under Gibbs.

The reason I think it's the move to make is that McCants can be his equal on the field and is worth so much more in the locker room.

I am a McCants fan but IMO he is not the equal of Gardner as a #2. McCants has great hands and is excellent in the Red Zone. I like the idea of using him as an H-Back with Jacobs as the #3. Unlike many on this board, I think Jacobs will be a very good WR. Why try to fix something that ain't broken?

Some of you guys are dillusional. Sean Taylor isn't going to be an impact player for us because our Defensive line is so poor. A safety can only be effective if there is a good line infront of him.

If we want impact on the defensive side of the ball, it's going to have to be on the D-line. Sean Taylor is the hot flavor of the month and he will be a fine, impact player for a team that has a decent line but that isn't us.

How is Gibbs going to win if he took Sean Taylor and the D-line is as poor as heck??

OldGlory, there are other ways to shore up the D-line. If you keep the 5 pick, you've got to get an impact player pretty much regardless of position. If someone's there that matches your needs, then that's gravy. But you can't reach to fill a hole with that high a pick. I don't know if there's a D-lineman out there worth the 5 pick. Probably need to go the FA route. But don't leave a stud on the board 'cause you're weak somewhere else.

my thoughts:

if champ stays:

sign wistrom & draft w/ 2nd rd pk

sign dillion/staley

and some DT

draft taylor

resign.......all FA's but flemmy

if champ doesn't stay

sign winfield

sign kearse

sign dillion or staley

still draft taylor

resign ALL fa's but flemmy......

if our d-line settles williams' blitz package will take care of our pressure problems....BUT if we don't draft taylor we have BOWEN AND/OR OHALETE covering 1-1 downfield on CB blitzes.

if they get burned ina zone then MAN 2 MAN is death.....roy williams was a great pick and this will be too......

as for trading down.....why? all we need is a FS.....D-line can be solved with 2 FA pick ups and 1 draft pick in the 2nd.....

thats as simple as it gets...........

:applause:

Archived