Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Radio Calls from the Archives

thebluefood

Some marvelous person uploaded this gem - the 1972 team's audio highlight reel, narrated by the late Steve Gilmartin. Along with being a fascinating insight into that tremendous season, it got me searching for similar content but it's a bit hard to come by. Apart from this reel, produced 10 years later, I can't seem to find any local radio broadcasts of games outside of the excerpts used for NFL Films highlights.

Surely there's got to be a cache of radio highlights or play-by-play for this franchise - I'm sure someone kept their tapes of Sonny, Sam, and Frank calling some of the best moments of D.C. sports history.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for posting those. Definitely some great nostalgia there.

I don't really listen to the radio broadcasts, but last season found myself listening to it in the car for about 20 minutes on a quick drive home during the Atlanta game.  Bram, D'Angelo, and Julie just sounded terrible to me. Way too over the top. Did they get any better as the season progressed?

Somewhere I believe I have cassette tapes of the radio broadcast of Super Bowl 22 (vs. Denver).  Somewhere.

Pretty sure that they were bought commercially, though, as my dad sent them to me when I was in college out west.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 4:13 PM, SB17 said:

Somewhere I believe I have cassette tapes of the radio broadcast of Super Bowl 22 (vs. Denver).  Somewhere.

Pretty sure that they were bought commercially, though, as my dad sent them to me when I was in college out west.

I listened to this game live on the radio from Germany as a military brat growing up.  Had to Google it after I saw your post and found this gem. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 3:22 AM, LetThePointsSoar said:

I listened to this game live on the radio from Germany as a military brat growing up.  Had to Google it after I saw your post and found this gem. 

Interesting … May have to sit down and listen to that.

The cassette version that I had was with Sonny, Sam, and Frank.