Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who thought that Spurrier would work for this team when he was hired?

OURYEAR#56

I live in CT, and I've been following this team since 86. I was very pissed off when we fired Marty and got Spurrier. We need a disciplinarian after Turner, and we fired him. Then we got Flakey SPurrier. I knew from the beginning that he wasn't the right fit. At Florida he never had to worry about an owner. I also looked at the failures of Dennis Erickson, and Butch Davis. The proff is in the pudding. I want to know who thought Spurrier would be successful in the NFL? Do you still think he'll be successful in the NFL?:moon:

Also living in CT, I don't get the same exposure to the Redskins as others, but I hated the Spurrier signing. I wanted Schotty to stay, because of his ability to change himself as a coach and utilize his talent to turn around a bad team. Granted, it took him half a season to do it, but Spurrier has yet to do it in two years. Also being from CT, I didn't know much about Florida boy, and I didn't want him here. However, after last season and during this offseason, I was turned into a believer because SS said he was "NFL-ized", until the ol' ball coach started tossing the ball around on 3rd and 2's almost every time, ending drives with bad play calling at least 4 times a game.

I was upset that things didn’t work out with Marty as well. He was far from perfect but I thought he was good for the team on a whole.

Once Marty was gone I admit that I was intrigued somewhat with SS. I’ll qualify that statement by saying that I didn’t know a whole lot about him and the way he coached. All I knew was that he had a reputation for being a great offensive coach, had won a national championship in Florida and had been dominant in a very tough SEC.

I try to be as optimistic as I can without being a lemming. I have thought that Steve would be able to figure things out and turn things around for quite a while. I also thought that Steve staying on would be the best thing for the organization’s reputation and long term success, even if he fails next year. I no longer think that way.

Now I wish they would just get on with it and do whatever it takes to get this team back on track. If Steve needs to go, fine. I just hate this two week limbo.

I thought Marty went to far in the disciplinarian direction, and his offense sucked. I was glad when he was fired. I thought Spurrier would work out very well. I, like Spurrier, didn't realize what a big difference there is between coaching college and pros.

Hard lesson to learn.

I was p!ssed as hell......when we hired Schotferbrains!!! We should've hired Marvin Lewis in '00.

I know nothing about college football, but I was enthusiastic and optimistic when we hired SS because:

1. No more Schothead! :D

1b. Yay. Herr Marty's gone!!!

1c. And he's taking Jimmy Raye and all his family members with him!

2. No more WCO b.s.

3. Ron Wolf and Bobby Beathard had both tried to hire him,which seemed promising.

Archived