Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Air & Space Annex @ Dullas

GrapeApe

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from the Annex, and it is fantastic. They have the space shuttle Enterprise, the SR-71 Blackbird (incidentally, if you are in NYC, you can also see the blackbird, its on a carrier anchored off the West Side), the Enola Gay, the Concorde, several Gemini and Mercury capsules, a series of WW1 and WW2 fighters, and too many more to mention. I highly, highly recommend making the trip out to Dulles to check it out.

My friend brought his digital camera and took a few pictures. When he gets them to me, I'll post some for your enjoyment.

I just got back from the Annex, and it is fantastic. They have the space shuttle Enterprise, the SR-71 Blackbird (incidentally, if you are in NYC, you can also see the blackbird, its on a carrier anchored off the West Side), the Enola Gay, the Concorde, several Gemini and Mercury capsules, a series of WW1 and WW2 fighters, and too many more to mention. I highly, highly recommend making the trip out to Dulles to check it out.

My friend brought his digital camera and took a few pictures. When he gets them to me, I'll post some for your enjoyment.

Went there a week ago. The facility itself is beautiful. We took a guided tour, offered regularly, and our docent was incredibly knowledgeable about all the planes. He also had some really interesting stuff to tell about the art and science of restoring the artifacts. They have room for expansion, and the space wing with the shuttle has a lot of work left to be done, but it's an impressive museum.

Went there a week ago. The facility itself is beautiful. We took a guided tour, offered regularly, and our docent was incredibly knowledgeable about all the planes. He also had some really interesting stuff to tell about the art and science of restoring the artifacts. They have room for expansion, and the space wing with the shuttle has a lot of work left to be done, but it's an impressive museum.

Originally posted by Soliloquy

Cranky, how'd they get a blackbird on to a carrier?

Its a decomissioned carrier, so they anchored it and brought aircraft onto the decks via cranes. It's more or less a floating museum. Belowdecks, much of the pre-existing equipment has been gutted to create open areas with further artifacts, displays, and facilities (i.e. restrooms and eating areas). It's pretty cool, and they usually have a decomissioned submarine anchored next to it, and offer tours, if you can handle the long lines.

Originally posted by Soliloquy

Cranky, how'd they get a blackbird on to a carrier?

Its a decomissioned carrier, so they anchored it and brought aircraft onto the decks via cranes. It's more or less a floating museum. Belowdecks, much of the pre-existing equipment has been gutted to create open areas with further artifacts, displays, and facilities (i.e. restrooms and eating areas). It's pretty cool, and they usually have a decomissioned submarine anchored next to it, and offer tours, if you can handle the long lines.

Archived