WP:Bailey, Arrington Headed to Pro Bowl

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11925-2003Dec18.html

Bailey, Arrington Headed to Pro Bowl

A Small Reward for Disappointing Year

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 19, 2003; Page D01

The Washington Redskins' miserable season didn't prevent cornerback Champ Bailey and linebacker LaVar Arrington from being named yesterday to the NFC Pro Bowl team.

I13272-2003Dec18

Cornerback Champ Bailey is the first Redskin to be selected to four straight Pro Bowls since Ken Harvey.

Three other Redskins were chosen as alternates for the Feb. 8 game in Honolulu. Wide receiver Laveranues Coles was named a first alternate and guard Randy Thomas and left tackle Chris Samuels were third alternates.

"I would take wins and championships over this any day," Bailey said. "I don't think it [his performance this season] stands out more than last year or the year before or the year before that. It's another good year. But I'm never satisfied until we're winning. I love going, but it's really not that sweet unless we win games. It's not as sweet when you don't win with it."

It is the fourth straight Pro Bowl selection for Bailey, making him the first Redskins player to reach four consecutive Pro Bowls since linebacker Ken Harvey between 1994 and '97.

"I had some tough times this year, but I bounced back strong," Bailey said. "I see myself getting better and better. Last year was a good year. This year was a good year. I feel like next year can be even better. . . . I used my brain more this year than I did my body."

Bailey, 25, played through wrist and shoulder injuries this season, and said he took pride in maintaining his level of play despite his physical status and the team's struggles. The Redskins (5-9) have lost eight of their past 10 games.

"I played my butt off regardless of whether I'm hurt or not," Bailey said. "I felt like I had a pretty good year. I wish as a team we could have topped it off with a good year. . . . Regardless of what goes on around me, I'm going to still go out and do my job. I can't let myself get down if we're not winning. I've got to keep going because you never know when this thing can turn around, and I want to be one of the causes of why we're winning around here."

Bailey rejected a nine-year, $55 million contract offer by the Redskins during the preseason and is eligible for unrestricted free agency after the season. But he said this reaffirmation of his status among the game's elite cornerbacks should not have much of an effect on his negotiations.

"I don't think it could hurt me," he said. "But I'm not really concerned with that. . . . I don't think they [the Redskins] don't recognize it. I don't think that's an issue. It's not about recognizing it. It's about what are they going to do about it?"

It is the third straight Pro Bowl selection for Arrington, who broke his recent media silence and said: "It's been a long year. Things haven't went the way that they should have. But still guys continue to keep pressing on. I just really want to thank my teammates and thank the fans from the bottom of my heart for voting for me. It's a proud honor. Hopefully I can go over there and get in the game and represent our team well."

Arrington, 25, has taken the Redskins' disappointing season particularly hard. He was stung by criticism of him and the team and stopped talking to reporters around midseason. He was criticized for being caught out of position on key plays in losses to the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he remains a highlight-reel hitter who ranks second on the club with 104 tackles and second with five sacks.

"It definitely means a whole lot coming from the fans," he said before cutting off the questioning abruptly and walking away from reporters. "I hate to sound selfish, but I needed it. I kind of needed it, so I just want to say thank you to everybody who was a part of it."

Said Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier: "We're excited that they've had good years and are going to the Pro Bowl. It's a nice honor for our guys."

If injuries don't allow Samuels to join the NFC team, he would have a string of two consecutive Pro Bowl trips ended.

"I'm slightly disappointed, but I know I didn't have the greatest year this year," Samuels said.

Coles probably wouldn't be able to play in the game even if another wide receiver gets hurt. He has played most of the season with a stress fracture in his right foot, and doctors plan to place his foot in a cast for four to eight weeks after the season and then make a determination about whether he needs to undergo surgery.

"Hopefully the next couple years I'll make it," Coles said. "Based on the number of games we won, I'm not happy with the year I had."

Coles and Thomas, who perhaps has been the club's most consistent offensive lineman, were among the four players that the Redskins signed from the New York Jets as free agents last offseason.

"It's no big deal," Thomas said. "We're not winning any games. I don't think I deserve to go if we're not winning. I feel like I've played to the level they paid me to, but I can do better."

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Arrington and Samuels got in solely on reputation. Armstead played much better this year than Arrington. Give me a break. Thomas deserved it. Coles would've been a shoo-in if he hadn't hurt his foot. :(

Saying Armstead played better than Arrington is no justification for the Pro Bowl. Others said it well ... its about rep not performance.

Archived