Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How were the Skin's the first few years under Gibbs? Is there hope for Spurrier?

OURYEAR#56

Allen was long gone by the time Gibbs got here...Jack Pardee coached the team in between. Gibbs was an unknown gem selected by Jack Kent Cooke. Gibbs lost his first 5 games as Skins coach, and some thought he might not make it through his first season. But the team rebounded to finish the year 8-8, and won the Super Bowl his second year. You had a great front office then. Cooke cutting the checks, Bobby Beathard selecting the players and Gibbs coaching them. And a dynomite coaching staff underneath Gibbs. Now we've got Larry, Curly and Moe running things.

Gibbs started out 0-5, then went 8-3 his first year.

Won the super bowl his second year.

Lost badly to the Raiders in the super bowl his third. (and they'd beaten the raiders earlier that year. The team was ****y, having dominated most of the season. Came out very flat against a pumped Raider squad.)

Riggons was a 1st rd. pick by the jets.

Thiesmann was drafted by Miami and went to Canada to get playing time. Allen traded for him to back up Jurgeson and Kilmer. He (Joe T.) thought he should of been starting over both of them.

Dave Butz was acquired by Allen trading 2 #1's for him. the cards drafted him.

Allen left Gibbs with few #1 picks. Allen liked trading picks for old time vets.

During Gibb's early years the only #1's he had were D. Green and Art Monk.

Oh, and Beathard and Gibb's raided the USFL for Ricky Sanders and Gary Clark. But Monk was opposite Virgil Seay, and charlie Brown early, before Clark and Sanders.

Originally posted by Montilar

Oh, and Beathard and Gibb's raided the USFL for Ricky Sanders and Gary Clark. But Monk was opposite Virgil Seay, and charlie Brown early, before Clark and Sanders.

Did you forget Kelvin Bryant? Beathard did some real nice work acquiring USFL talent. I remember Bryant wanted to wear #44 since he wore that in the USFl for the Stars. The Hogs revolted and it never happened. Brynat was still a spark plug for us. If you look at his track record, building our first Super Bowl winner with free agents, drafting the likes of Darrell Green, picking up USFL talent, and building the strike/replacement team, Beathard had the midas touch.

Bryant was a lot like Morton. Very good and explosive when given the chance. But could never be more than a 3rd down change of pace back. Every time they tried, he got hurt.

Just like Morton when he gets used too much.

They just need to learn when to take their shots with Morton. Like Gibbs did with Bryant.

Originally posted by ktball74

Gibbs got the best out of his players, and had a lot of overachievers that you don't see anymore. It is to much me, me, me.... now adays from players.

Actually, the key was that Gibbs got a lot of average players to play as a team. He schemed with players strenghts in mind, and did not leave players exposed, as we have happen here.

That what I was thinking SARGE. The one thing I heard about Don Shula that impressed me was he always coached to his players strength. Spurrier is to scheme happy. He is really beginning to wear on me. How many coaches would have won a Super Bowl with Mark Rypien, and Doug Williams. For my money Gibbs was one of the best coaches in NFL history. What a HEAD COACH.

Originally posted by Sarge

Actually, the key was that Gibbs got a lot of average players to play as a team. He schemed with players strenghts in mind, and did not leave players exposed, as we have happen here.

Good post Sarge… Gibbs also took time to construct his offense to take advantage of the opposing defense. You never knew what you were going to see with a Gibbs run offense – Spurrier’s offense seems to be fairly predictable. Gibbs also had a great tutelage coming from San Diego – as opposed to UF. If you ask me, there is no comparison.

Hmmmmmm he started out 0-5, then when his players bought into the system he finished 8-3. But unlike JKK Danny fired the HC that started 0-5 and finished 8-8. Just when the players started buying into his system. Now I believe he is somewhere in California.

Originally posted by Phat 'Suicide Watch' Hog

Good post Sarge… Gibbs also took time to construct his offense to take advantage of the opposing defense. You never knew what you were going to see with a Gibbs run offense – Spurrier’s offense seems to be fairly predictable. Gibbs also had a great tutelage coming from San Diego – as opposed to UF. If you ask me, there is no comparison.

Thanks. What I loved about Gibbs too was that he would spend hours of film study seeking a weakness in the other teams defense, and then go at it until they stopped it........if they could. That, and the halftime adjustments :D

Gibbs also fit his schemes to accentuate his player's strengths and minimize their faults. SOS could learn alot by studying Gibb's "moving pocket" designed for the not so fleet of foot Mark Rypien. He also came up with a single back formation with extra tight ends specifically to counter LT. I bet SOS would put in a running back to chip LT.

Archived