Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Want Continuity?

Even Madder

Want continuity? You ain't gonna get it.

Set aside the obvious changes to the coaching staff for a second. Here are guys who are unlikely to be here next year:

FAs

Champ Bailey

Darrell Russell

Byron Chamberlain

Kevin Mitchell

David Terrell

Zeron Flemister

Patrick Johnson

Martin Chase

Bernard Holsey

Peppi Zellner

Lennie Friedman

Ethan Albright

RFAs

Darnarian McCants

Bryan Johnson

Antonio Pierce

Iffy Ohalete

Todd Franz

And finally...

Bruce Smith

(As an aside: Has Dan Snyder considered that he might make more money printing up tshirts for the day Bruce is cut than for the day he broke the record?)

That's 30% of the roster up there. That doesn't include guys like Regan Upshaw, Lionel Dalton, Dave Fiore, Brandon Noble, Kenyatta Jones, Cliff Russell, John Simon, Robert Royal, Andre Lott, Sultan McCullough, Kevin Ware, and, of course, Barker. Add those in, and it's over 50% of the roster.

Obviously not all of those guys will leave. Some are masochistic. Some are crazy. Some just don't give a damn (those we'll keep).

I haven't even mentioned guys like Bowen, Jacobs, Wynn, Canidate, and Betts.

In short, continuity ain't in the cards.

1. Spurrier has no credibility. Nobody on this team runs around in fear of this coaching staff, most of whom are ex-college newbies like Spurrier Jr. that aren't really qualified to have NFL jobs.

2. The only credibility the front office has is through the wallet. Players always check with the Skins before negotiating elsewhere because the team has a history of making more than fair offers. In short, the team is an easy mark.

3. The players on this club are coddled crybabies. Arrington complains about every scheme he is put in. Bailey complained he wasn't getting the one on one matchups last year in Lewis' system and then this year goes out and has games where he is called THREE times for pass interference or allows Amani Toomer to undress him like a $20 hooker. Trotter keeps talking about how he has matured this season and still gets caught out of position to cost us a game in Carolina and making stupid penalties by face-masking and hitting guys late.

4. Meanwhile the owner is no doubt reshuffling the deck of his playing cards to decide which former pro bowler he can bring in to provide some hope.

1. You're right. The team doesn't respect or trust Spurrier -- and they don't believe in his offense.

2. You're right, but don't discount the power of the wallet in luring free agents and coaches here. Money talks. Of course, you just end up with a collection of mercenaries like we have today...

3. Yep. It starts with the veterans -- the few they have -- like Bruce. He should have been cut last year. If the Skins wouldn't keep Art Monk around as long as he wanted to play, why the hell would they do it for Bruce?

4. Yep. I'm sure they think that they can plug in some pass rushers and everything will be OK. It won't.

FAs

Champ Bailey

Darrell Russell

Byron Chamberlain

Kevin Mitchell

David Terrell

Zeron Flemister

Patrick Johnson

Martin Chase

Bernard Holsey

Peppi Zellner

Lennie Friedman

Ethan Albright

RFAs

Darnarian McCants

Bryan Johnson

Antonio Pierce

Iffy Ohalete

Todd Franz

And finally...

Bruce Smith

Does anyone really care if any from this bunch leave?

Not too many keepers on that list if you ask me.

I'd try to keep Holsey (as a backup), Friedman, maybe Albright I guess. The RFAs probably aren't going anywhere, just because nobody would want them enough to pay a draft pick for them. Champ is as good as gone -- someone picking in the 25-30 range would be crazy not to grab him for two #1s after the Skins franchise him.

Why not? If you're a top team picking in the 25-30 range like the Chiefs, Pats, Rams, or Colts, why not steal a Pro Bowler instead of drafting some marginal talent who won't contribute for a year or two?

If I was GM of the Colts, for example, I'd pick up Champ in a second for two #1s.

People need to get off the drugs really! Lets get rid of our best players? Where does that put us not that we are in that good a shape now but come on. LaVar is a Redskin for life so get off his back. LaVar is the guy that turned around our season when MARTY BALL was here and is a game breaker just with a gimp team of coaches and a SAD front four with 2 other linebackers who couldn't out run me for goodness sakes. I'm fast but no where near the speed of a normal NFL linebacker, Armstead and Trotter are gimps get rid of them.

No player is irreplaceable.

Lavar may have turned our season around under Marty, but they still finished 8-8. He should try doing his turning earlier. Or more often.

He's a great player, but is he worth 9 or 10% of the salary cap? That's what he's costing the Skins. For that money, they should get 5 or 6 players -- or one superstar. Is Lavar that? Well, no. He's certainly personable and marketable, but has he been a difference-maker on the field. Sort of. Sometimes. He can't do it by himself, but... he's paid like he can.

I hope the Skins keep him, but I won't be despondent if they don't -- especially if they can get a couple first-rounders for him. Hell, the Skins can finish 5-11 with or without him, right?

No one is irreplaceable when you suck that bad.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Hell no, how are we suppose to sign all of those first round rookies wanting first round money???

It's not the rookie contracts that bust a salary cap. It's the subsequent contracts after the rookie contract expires. Unless of course you renegotiate the original salary cap. Which the Skins have done.

Rookie contracts allow teams to get good talent on the cheap for 4-5 years. That's why you keep hearing Champ Bailey saying he's been underpaid the past few years.

And that's why teams that draft well usually perform well. It allows you to trade high priced players or to use their space to sign additional players.

Die Hard got it right. You can always find room for rookies -- even first round picks.

It's the veteran FAs that'll kill ya. Do you know the Skins paid Bowen first-round money? Late first-round money, but still. Here's a guy who's a starter, but no better than average, and he gets serious cash. That's what kills your cap, not rookie contracts.

The trouble with Lavar and Samuels isn't the rookie contract, it's the subsequent renegotiations. The FO thought they could win it all in 3 years (that was what, 5 years ago?) and then they'd figure it out.

Archived