WP:Spurrier Swears by Style

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62174-2003Dec13.html

Spurrier Swears by Style

Coach Fines for Cursing, But Has Few Other Rules

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, December 14, 2003; Page E09

Before Steve Spurrier began explaining his Fun 'n' Gun offense last year after signing a $25 million contract, the new Redskins' coach informed his players about an important rule: no cursing during the week. Each time the policy is broken, the culprit is fined $20.

On game day, however, the Redskins -- including Spurrier, the son of a Presbyterian minister -- can swear as much as they want, no charge.

"I don't curse but we're a bunch of grown men so that rule I always thought was funny," said wide receiver Darnerien McCants.

The quirky policy is one of the very few rules -- the others cover tardiness -- instituted by Spurrier. The antithesis of a control freak, Spurrier is a player's coach who generally leaves everything but the offense to his assistants.

Before leaving the University of Florida in 2002, Spurrier used to poke fun at NFL coaches who seemingly worked around the clock. With a 12-17 record with the Redskins, however, Spurrier's style becomes conspicuous in contrast to the disciplinarian methods of Coach Bill Parcells, whose NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys (8-5) face the Redskins (5-8) today at FedEx Field.

"Both styles can work. It's been proven," said cornerback Fred Smoot. "You can't compare them. That's just like comparing IBM and Apple. They are what they are, and ain't nothing going to change."

In his weekly radio show last week, however, Spurrier wondered aloud whether changing to a tougher style next season would bring better results. When asked Wednesday to expound, Spurrier replied: "That's next year's topic. We're getting through this year."

For much of this year, the Redskins have performed like an undisciplined team, incurring penalties at a record-breaking rate, with players frequently missing assignments. Meanwhile, Parcells found success with his latest reclamation project by using a militaristic mentality encompassing every facet of his team.

Before Parcells's arrival, the Cowboys had three consecutive 5-11 seasons and were considered one of the league's most undisciplined clubs under coach Dave Campo. Now Dallas, despite losing three of its past four games, appears headed to its first playoff berth since 1998.

Parcells's tough-guy act has helped send him to three Super Bowls, winning two titles with the New York Giants and losing another with the New England Patriots. However, Parcells doesn't necessarily recommend that Spurrier adopt similar methods.

"What he's done over the course of his career has served him very well," said Parcells, who entered the season with a 149-106-1 record in 14 NFL seasons. "I don't know how he handles situations or any of that, and I would not pass judgment on anything. But I just know whatever he's done, he's had monumental success far beyond what many, many people have done in this business. So whatever he's doing works for him."

Monumental success has not yet followed Spurrier to Washington. After a 7-9 record last season, Spurrier appears to still be gathering his NFL bearings.

Spurrier is persnickety about his offensive system, but doesn't sweat the details of other aspects of the game. Spurrier admits he doesn't put in the office hours of, say, Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, who -- according to NFL legend -- awakens at exactly 3:17 a.m. and arrives at his office by 4.

At Spurrier's news conference announcing his resignation from Florida in 2002, he was asked if he would turn into the kind of NFL coach who occasionally slept at work. A few days earlier, Spurrier had read that New Orleans Saints Coach Jim Haslett regularly arrived to work at 4:30 a.m. Noting New Orleans's 7-9 record in 2001, Spurrier responded: "It isn't doing Haslett any good coming in at 4:30."

The glib comment cemented Spurrier's reputation as a head coach not obsessed with football. But Redskins assistants scoff at the notion that Spurrier doesn't put in similar hours to other NFL head coaches.

"That's a myth. That really eats at me because we all work our [tails] off," said quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise, who added that the staff typically doesn't leave Redskins Park until between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. then returns in the morning. "People get on Coach because he likes to play golf. Well, he hasn't picked up a golf club since probably July. He's not off getting a quick nine in before work everyday. It's a shame that he's labeled like that."

Players say that because of an ultra-competitive nature, Spurrier doesn't fit the label. "There's nothing laid back about him," said safety David Terrell.

Right tackle Jon Jansen agreed: "He's different but he's not laid back, because he's very competitive. No one wants to win more than Coach."

Redskins players consider Spurrier demanding without being demonstrative; blunt although not bullying. ("He's not an in-your-face, mean coach," Smoot said. "That ain't his style.") When players slack off, they said, offensive coordinator Hue Jackson plays bad cop to Spurrier's good cop. According to kick returner Chad Morton, Jackson helps Spurrier's style by picking up the pace during sluggish practices.

Spurrier encourages input from players, particularly the club's stars, whom he expects to be leaders. Several Redskins said they liked Spurrier's approach but a few players, who requested anonymity, said that Spurrier seems out of his element in the NFL.

Like Spurrier, Parcells was uncomfortable during his 3-12-1 rookie season with the New York Giants. During that season, Parcells delegated significant authority to assistants while overlooking certain details. Parcells's approach was out of his obsessive character, but he assumed it was how NFL head coaches were supposed to act.

"I almost didn't get to coach my second year because I was trying to be a 'head coach,' and not really just being myself," Parcells said Wednesday.

"Finally I just said, 'Oh look it, if they're going to get me out of here, it's going to be my way.' And that has kind of served me well."

After a four-year hiatus from the NFL, Parcells signed a four-year, $17 million deal with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. In February, Parcells issued a memo outlining his rules for Cowboys players. Players were free to curse, but cars would be towed if not parked properly outside the practice facility, and cell phones must be turned off before entering the locker room.

"I try to make the players accountable. I have my whole coaching career as best I can," said Parcells, who recently cut Derek Ross, one of Dallas's best cornerbacks, apparently for disciplinary reasons. "You always have problems of one kind of another, sometimes with discipline.

"At my age, so much of this is not new to me, that your reactions almost become automatic. You've done it before. You've seen it before."

But Spurrier's predecessor, Marty Schottenheimer -- one of the winningest coaches in NFL history -- is one example that a controlling style isn't necessarily a panacea. Schottenheimer's San Diego Chargers have one of the league's worst records at 3-10 -- last place in the AFC West. Smoot and Terrell recall veterans tuning out Schottenheimer in 2001 because he treated them like rookies. Schottenheimer also conducted a training camp befitting Navy Seals, and the Redskins sunk to 0-5 to start the season before finishing 8-8.

McCants believes it would be a mistake if Spurrier were to add a touch of Schottenheimer's style next season. "You won't get respect from the players because it's hard to go from one style to the next," said McCants, who leads the Redskins with six touchdowns. "If you come in stern and disciplinary and maybe ease up as you go along because of some success, that's one thing. You can't come and try to harden up."

But the Redskins seemed like they needed some hardening early in the season after a preponderance of penalties. When the Giants won, 24-21, in Week 3, the Redskins committed 17 penalties, tying a franchise record. After that game, the Redskins were on a pace for 187 penalties, which would have shattered the NFL record of 156.

Minutes after the game, Spurrier threatened to start fining players before tempering his remarks the next day. The NFL players union allows a coach to assess fines only if a policy -- such as Spurrier's curse rule -- was on a list given to players in preseason. (Even when Spurrier addressed his players about penalties the morning after Game 3, the coach spoke in measured tones.) Spurrier -- who brought in referees during training camp to emphasize avoiding penalties -- hasn't altered his approach. But the Redskins have markedly reduced their penalty pace. Washington -- which committed zero penalties during a 20-17 loss against the Panthers on Nov. 16 -- can still eclipse the club record of 122, though the league record appears safe. (The Redskins have 104 penalties.) Meanwhile, the Cowboys have looked uncharacteristically sluggish in the past two games, being outscored 76-31 while committing 14 penalties.

"In this business coaches and players have to be accountable," Jansen said. "There's a lot of different ways to skin that cat."

McCants agreed: "You just have to have your players play for you. No one would question if Coach was too soft if our record was 8-5."

On game day, however, the Redskins -- including Spurrier, the son of a Presbyterian minister -- can swear as much as they want, no charge.

Hopefully next year we'll get another Sunday night game & ESPN will mic up the Ol Ballcoach. Should be pretty interesting. :laugh:

Originally posted by bubba9497

McCants agreed: "You just have to have your players play for you. No one would question if Coach was too soft if our record was 8-5."

yep

We can acknowledge that after he's actually achieved a record of 8-5 at this point in the season.

Look at the records of the best teams in the NFL. How many laid back coaches do you see coaching those teams? Vermeil. That's it.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

It is funny because it seems in most proffesional sports you need a real agressive SOB as a coach/manager. I can't think of a players coach that has succeeded recently on a pro level besides Joe Torre.

Originally posted by Die Hard

We can acknowledge that after he's actually achieved a record of 8-5 at this point in the season.

Look at the records of the best teams in the NFL. How many laid back coaches do you see coaching those teams? Vermeil. That's it.

Martz is considered a laid back guy, you also have several intense guys having crappy seasons as well.

there have been several successful coaches who weren't military general in your face screamers..

Shula, Laundry, Knoll, Walsh, Gibbs wasn't a screamer, Stram, Grant, more recent guys like Marriacci, Denny Green, Dungy

In baseball you had/have guys like Stengel, Lasorda, Cox, LaRussa, Dusty Baker.

Each coach has his approach, and strengths to get players to respond. look at both teams, People complain about Spurrier's style yet right now the Skins are playing better, and more discipline than they were at the first of the season, and performing better than the Cowboys players have the past couple weeks.

The Skins are getting better, where the Cowboys are starting to unravel, and having some internal conflicts.

As Al Davis said "Just win baby". If you're winning no one questions your decisions, when you lose they question every one.

Archived