Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

4 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Watched while at Trivia tonight. When Abrams stole 2nd I heard a quiet cheer from more than a couple of tables. Nice back and forth for the win. 

He’s been stacking those up since he moved into the leadoff spot. Been taking more walks too. OBP from .281 to .310.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He was a wild card, lottery ticket. He's been hurt and not very good. Worth taking a shot on. Zero risk.

His stat line looks awful when you read the top line, but he has OPS’d .758 in July with 8 XBH and 5 SBs. He played in 20 of his 35 AAA games in July. Could be a case where they completely tore down his swing and are building him back up. Could be a case where he got lukewarm for a month. 

There is one open spot on the 26 man. One more could open up if they dump Dickerson after today. Alu. Baker, and Rutherford are all more deserving than Downs, but with him on the 40, he may get an opportunity in September to get some ABs. Of the 39 guys on the 40, he’d probably be the second guy off behind Harris.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:24 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Time to break out the #31 jerseys again!! 

ecc.jpg

Sources: Houston Astros acquiring Justin Verlander from Mets

The Houston Astros have a deal in place to acquire ace Justin Verlander from the New York Mets, sources familiar with the agreement told ESPN's Jeff Passan on Tuesday.

Verlander returns to Houston, where he starred after arriving via trade from the Detroit Tigers in August 2017 until he entered free agency last fall.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38115264/sources-houston-astros-acquiring-justin-verlander-mets

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Knew that the Nats didn't have much to move that other teams would want and bring back a solid return. Still felt like something else was going to happen. 

Yeah, I find it a little disappointing. The Candelario FA grab and flip was a solid A. Dickerson and Edwards having unhealthy years and getting nothing out of it blows. Wish someone was going to overpay for Harvey, Thomas, or Finnegan.

The filled out their 40 man spot with a lefty reliever from Miami with a high K/9. He should be getting a look.

BTW, Lipscomb at SS tonight.

Post trade deadline top 30:

Wood OF

Crews OF

House 3B

Cavalli RHP

Hassell OF

Vaquero OF

Morales 3B/1B

Bennett LHP

Lile LF

Susana RHP

Sykora RHP

Green OF

De la Rosa OF

Rutledge RHP

Lipscomb IF

Lara RHP

Wade SS/2B

White 1B/OF

Herz LHP

Henry RHP

Brzykcy RHP

Quintana OF/1B

Cruz SS

Parker LHP

Munoz RHP

McKenzie OF

Ramirez RHP

Pineda C

Pickney OF

Ochoa-Leyva IF

If Lipscomb can handle SS and be a utility player that can cover all 4 IF positions, that would be quite the development. I’d rank his ascension as the fourth best minor league story this year behind 1) House’s return from injury and his performance, 2) Wood establishing himself as a top 5 prospect, and 3) Lile’s first professional season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Nats 

Nats walk off on a wild pitch! 

Not a wild pitch. It was an E5 that scored two runs.

Bases loaded, grounder to third. Throws wide to home, PR Vargas scores from second.

I’m in the camp of bringing in a new coaching staff next season, but I’ll give props to Davey for this one. Brings in Ferrer to get a Yelich DP. Brings in Finnegan for the ninth down one. Used his entire bench including PR Vargas. Smith probably doesn’t score there.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2023 at 11:59 AM, ixcuincle said:

The dream of 70 wins is done 😑

They need to go 24-29. They have been 18-16 over their last 34. It’s possible.

I took a bet that they would win 60 games at -110. If I could get odds at +300 or better for 70 wins, I would have been all over it.