Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskin Chat with Mark Maske

jbooma

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/03/sp_sports_maske121103.htm

Mark Maske: Let's get going. We only have a couple of these left this season, so let's get to it.

Clarksburg, Md.: Is there any chance Chris Samuels will not be back with the Redskins next season? Although we was voted to the Pro-Bowl before, I don't think his performance lately justifies his hefty contract price. And not to mention that his replacement the past three weeks has done a great job. I say nix Chris!

Mark Maske: I would say there's very, very, very little to no chance of Chris Samuels not being with the Redskins next season. He hasn't had his best season, true, and his salary cap numbers get hefty in the next few seasons. But you don't just get rid of young, talented left tackles who have been to Pro Bowls. The Redskins have done a lot of things to help Brandon Winey. He's done well, and you always need good backups, but he does not have the gifts of Chris Samuels. Samuels's contract will need to be looked at. The Redskins could do an extension with him, like they're trying to do with LaVar Arrington. But that would be tough right now because it would be hard to agree on a market value when he hasn't had his best season. Maybe they'll just move the money around a little bit to get his salary cap number down.

Gastonia, N.C.: Which assistant coaches on the team are toast? Which ones should stay? Personally, it seems to me that talent is lacking more than a lack of coaching.

Mark Maske: I think that is the biggest question left to be answered by what happens in the remaining three games. If the Redskins can play well, run the table and go 8-8, some people will have made a case for themselves to keep the staff mostly intact. Otherwise, I don't rule out big, sweeping changes.

Harrisburg, Pa.: Mark - Do you think Bruce Smith has any idea how selfish he has looked this season and how much the fans don't care about his record? Heck, I think most fans didn't even want him to set the record because he is so selfish. What did Snyder really do when Bruce cried to him after the Dolphins game? Keep up the great work, we true Skins fans appreciate it!!

Mark Maske: No, I don't think he has any idea.

I witnessed the tail end of the Bruce-Snyder conversation in the locker room in Miami. I didn't know at the time what they were talking about, but it didn't seem to me that Snyder was agreeing with Bruce, as Bruce later portrayed it. In fact, Snyder kind of stormed away in a huff and seemed like he was mad at Bruce, at least to me.

Washington, D.C.: I was thinking, should the Redskins go to a 3-4 defense? They could draft Vilma out of Miami and re-sign Russell?

Mark Maske: I thought maybe that was the way to go this season. We'll see about next year. I think first you go after players, and then you evaluate the talent you have on hand and see what the best fit is.

Washington, D.C.: Is it just me, or do you think also that Hasslebeck has demonstrated more talent and ability and NFL readiness than Ramsey, especially considering that Hasslebeck hasn't even had a training camp with the team, yet has been able to move the offense well, generate points, AND stay out of harm's way(it isn't all the O line's fault after all)? Thanks.

Mark Maske: Spurrier has done some things to help Hasselbeck that he didn't do with Ramsey. He simplified the version of the offense that Hasselbeck has worked with. He called a lot of three- and five-step drops to help Hasselbeck get rid of the ball quickly. He ran the ball 48 times in the Meadowlands. Hasselbeck has done his part, too, by being willing to settle for the shorter passes to slow down the rush and keep the chains moving.

In the short term, this offense is operating better with Hasselbeck. There is less confusion at the line of scrimmage and there is an improved ability to deal with the sort of defensive tactics that the Redskins should see from the Cowboys this weekend. But in the long term, Ramsey--if he can get fully healthy--gives this team the best chance to have a top-flight quarterback. He is simply more talented. He needs to incorporate into his game some of the things that Hasselbeck is doing now, and Spurrier perhaps needs to incorporate into Ramsey's offense some of the things that he has used successfully in Hasselbeck's offense.

Washington, D.C.: Now that Bruce Smith is leaving, you think they should convert Lavar from linebacker to defensive end?

Mark Maske: No. But I do think the defensive scheme needs to find ways to get LaVar to the quarterback from a stand-up linebacker position. And I think he needs to be moved around so offenses don't always know exactly where he's rushing from.

Dover, Del.: Hey Mark ...all year I have been saying Ramsey looks a step slow this year, I didn't think he looked this slow last year. Has the foot injury been there all year? That would explain alot, also I notice Spuppier said Ramey would likely go into next year as the starter but that he still had to earn it. Is Spurrier souring on Ramsey a bit??

Mark Maske: The foot injury was there all year, although it worsened considerably in the last few weeks before he got shut down.

I think Spurrier still believes in Ramsey. But it's kind of his coaching motto that the best guy will play at any position, and I think he's just applying that to this situation. To me, he said what he should say: Ramsey comes back as the starter and keeps the job as long as he deserves it.

Washington, D.C.: Here's an interesting idea: trade Champ if they can't come to an agreement on a long term contract to New England for both their first round draft picks giving the Redskins three first round draft picks.

Mark Maske: I think the Redskins will make one more push between now and the start of free agency to sign Champ Bailey to a longterm deal. If they can't, they'll put the franchise-player tag on him and then be happy with either possible outcome--keeping him or getting two first-round picks in exchange for him. The main problem in dealing with New England is that you'd end up with two picks low in the first round.

Charlotte, NC: When is Daniel Synder going to learn that an NFL team must be built through the draft? Is there a possibilty of trading Trotter for maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick to make up for the draft picks lost during last year's spending spree? Do the redskins have Mel Kiper's #? And, boy, letting the likes of Shawn Barber (pro-bowler) go and adding Armstead (washed-up) has really worked out.

Mark Maske: I actually think Armstead has played pretty well. The Redskins tried to keep Shawn Barber, but he wanted a lot of money. They had the No. 5 defense in the league last year with Armstead instead of Barber, so I don't think it was such an awful decision.

I do think you will see the Redskins try to build through the draft more in the next few years. What they did last offseason was a one-time-only approach, and they acknowledged that at the time.

Ashburn, Va.: Hi Mark,

Great job covering the Skins!

I feel the D-Line should be the top priority in the off-season. I think an over emphasis has been placed on bulk at the tackle position. We need quick, athletic DT's with the ability to rush the QB. I know all NFL teams look for these qualities...do you think the Skins will look to the draft for a DT or go through free agency? Sure would be nice to see Russell re-sign and play at a high level!! Thanks

Mark Maske: I do think the first-round draft pick will be used on a defensive lineman, but I would tend to think it's going to be a pass-rushing end instead of a tackle. At tackle, I think you'll see a big push to re-sign Darrell Russell before free agency starts. I think you'll see a younger tackle either drafted or signed in free agency. And I think there's a good chance that Daryl Gardener could be brought back on a cheap contract if (or, more accurately, when) he's cut by Denver in June.

Fairfax, Va.: Will the Skins pursue Sapp this offseason? What D-ends are available?

Mark Maske: Sapp is an outside possibility, I guess. But he's going to want big money and he's not a great player any more. I think, most likely, that you'll see the Redskins go another direction at tackle. At end, I tend to think the need for a pass rusher will be addressed in the first round of the draft. If not, Jevon Kearse could be a possibility as a free agent.

Annapolis Md.: Mark love your insite.

Who are key free agents the Skins need to bring back next year.

Thanks

Mark Maske: Champ and Darrell Russell. Any of the others are fairly easily replaced.

Fairfax, Va.: Whats up Mark?

Whats this I hear about the Redskins wanting to trade away Rod Gardner in the offseason!?!? Sure, Rod's had his share miscues, but I believe Rod will become a really solid reciever in the League. If the Redskins choose to trade him however, what could we get for him? Theres no way Darnerien or Taylor can be the number two guy just yet.

Mark Maske: I think this came up here once before. Gardner hasn't had the best of seasons. But he is one of the few guys on the team that you could part with and actually get something in return, and it would be feasible from a salary cap standpoint. But as you point out, who's ready to take over as the No. 2 receiver? McCants has demonstrated he is very effective down near the goal line and is a decent third guy. Jacobs could be a No. 2 guy someday, but he hasn't made that a certainty by his play to this point. To me, the way to go is to keep the nucleus of this team intact as much as possible and try to add a pass rusher, a defensive tackle, a tight end and perhaps a safety, a linebacker and a running back. And when I list those needs, I think you only need top-shelf guys at defensive end and defensive tackle. The others can be just solid but ordinary and relatively cheap type guys.

Greenbelt, MD.: Mr. Maske, Do you think that the Redskins will go after Daryl Gardener if and when the Denver Bronco's release him. If so, What do you think there chances are in signing him?

Michael Bailey

Mark Maske: Once he's cut by Denver in June (the Broncos will have to wait until then because of the salary cap ramifications), I think it will be more a case of Daryl Gardener going after the Redskins than them going after him. He will need to find someone willing to take a chance on him after what happened in Denver this season. I think he will look to the Redskins and the Bengals (because of Marvin Lewis).

That gives the Redskins time to try to rebuild their defensive line through the draft and free agency. They'll know by June whether they need another guy. If they don't, then they can pass. If they do, I don't think bringing back Daryl Gardener on a cheap contract is as big a risk for them as it would be for other teams. They know the guy and he knows them. He played very well for them last year on a one-year, modest-money deal. They'll try to recreate that scenario and they can let him know that if he creates any problems, they'll boot him out the door.

Washington, DC: What is the possibility that the Redskins might actually keep say, 90 percent of their coaching staff (including George Edwards), and maintain a little continuity and seeing where that gets us? Secondly, is Champ in burgundy and gold next year?

Mark Maske: I think there's a decent chance of that if they finish strong. We'll see. There is a compromise solution with George Edwards--you don't fire him, but you bring in a veteran NFL coach who can help him, a guy who has been a defensive coordinator before but is at the point in his career where he isn't after Edwards's job and Edwards can feel secure in that belief.

I do think the chances are that Champ is back, although it is less than a slam dunk.

Capitol Hill: Why in the world would the Redskins want to bring back Daryl Gardener? While they are at it, why not bring in the other behavior problem, Keyshawn Johnson. If a Super Bowl coach like Shanahan can't manage Gardener, how can the overmatched Spurrier do it?

Mark Maske: Daryl Gardener is not the unknown to the Redskins. He was here before and was the most valuable player of this team. What you can't do is make the mistake of taking him after he already has a lot of money in his pocket and doesn't have that carrot on a stick dangling in front of him. That's the mistake that your genius of a Super Bowl coach made. He hasn't looked like such a genius without John Elway, has he?

Washington, D.C.: Do the Skins have a slim hope of making

the playoffs, or is this just wishful

thinking? What "Mission Impossible"

things must happen for this to be a

reality?

Mark Maske: The Washington area must experience a two-foot snowfall, flooding, a week-long power outage and an earthquake within a one-year period. Or something like that. Don't waste your time worrying about it.

Mitchellville, MD: Hi Mark! Of all the positional needs the Skins will address this offseason, how much emphasis do you think will be placed on securing a dependable, solid RB? I truly beleive this was a big reason for the offense struggling when it did this year. With solid RB's playing in the shadows, a la Thomas Jones and Moe Williams now that Michael Bennett is back. Is this the type of value you equate with say a Rod Gardner, who is rumored in trades?

Mark Maske: It will be interesting to see how much emphasis is placed on that. I do think it's a need. But certainly defensive end and defensive tackle are bigger needs and will take considerable money to fill. Then you have to weigh how much you need a tight end, a safety and a linebacker to replace Armstead when he can't do it any more. And you have to decide whether you think Betts ever will be healthy enough and good enough to be a featured runner in this league. I'm not sure I have the answer for you at this point.

Alexandria,VA: As a long time Bills fan, I chortled over the great press Bruce Smith received when he came here. While he is probably the greatest player ever to put on a Bills uniform, his recent selfish behavior is nothing new to us. For a few years, his great friend linebacker Darryl Talley (the consummate team guy)kept him in check but it has always been about Bruce and Bruce alone.

Mark Maske: A lot of people have said that about him for a long time. You could tolerate it when he was playing at an all-pro level. It becomes tougher to stomach when he's not.

Washington, DC: Thanks for your answer on Hasslebeck vs Ramsey, but truthfully, I don't see all this talent that you and a lot of others see in Ramsey. He certainly hasn't demonstrated it, as far as I can see. Please let us know if your position as a beat writer prevents you from saying publicly that Ramsey might not be all he's cracked up to be. Thanks.

Mark Maske: No, I'm giving you my honest opinion of Ramsey: I think he can be a very, very good quarterback in this league. But he needs to help himself (by learning the fine art of self-preservation) and the offensive system needs to help him in the same way it has helped Hasselbeck. I think the odds are that both of those things will happen.

Olney, Maryland: Well done on getting the scoop that Snyder is keeping Spurrier. In your opinion, if we could take money and contracts out of the equation, is this the best decision for the success of the Redskins?

Mark Maske: Yes. There would be little or no chance of the Redskins being a decent to good team next year with a new coach because Bill Parcells already has a job. There are no guarantees that they will be a decent to good team with Spurrier, but they do have a shot at it.

Washington, DC: Do you think Tim Hasselbeck has cemented himself as the backup QB for next year? Also, if Hasselbeck falters these last few games, any chance of Danny Wuerffel coming back next year to be a backup QB?

Mark Maske: Yeah, he's the No. 2 guy going into next year. I don't think Wuerffel will be back. His chance to re-sign came and went.

Ashburn, Virginia: How did you get Synder to comment about Spurrier this week? I thought he does not talk to the media during the season? Did you trully just catch him on the way out? Or was this something Synder wanted to get out to the public so that if Spurrier does leave, it does not look like he was forced out?

Mark Maske: I physically beat the comment out of him. No, I just caught him on his way to his car and he said it. It was less than an "interview,'' I'd say, but it was enough to answer the question. I don't know his motivations. You'd have to ask him. But I do think it's what his stance has been all along.

I'm going to run to the Redskins' locker room now. They're practicing off-site today because of the weather, so they won't be around long. Seeya next week.

Capitol Hill: Why in the world would the Redskins want to bring back Daryl Gardener? While they are at it, why not bring in the other behavior problem, Keyshawn Johnson. If a Super Bowl coach like Shanahan can't manage Gardener, how can the overmatched Spurrier do it?

Mark Maske: Daryl Gardener is not the unknown to the Redskins. He was here before and was the most valuable player of this team. What you can't do is make the mistake of taking him after he already has a lot of money in his pocket and doesn't have that carrot on a stick dangling in front of him. That's the mistake that your genius of a Super Bowl coach made. He hasn't looked like such a genius without John Elway, has he?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Washington, D.C.: Do the Skins have a slim hope of making

the playoffs, or is this just wishful

thinking? What "Mission Impossible"

things must happen for this to be a

reality?

Mark Maske: The Washington area must experience a two-foot snowfall, flooding, a week-long power outage and an earthquake within a one-year period. Or something like that. Don't waste your time worrying about it.

I don't get it...

Does he believe the Skins will make the playoffs??

Becasue all of that stuff happened this year...

"Ashburn, Virginia: How did you get Synder to comment about Spurrier this week? I thought he does not talk to the media during the season? Did you trully just catch him on the way out? Or was this something Synder wanted to get out to the public so that if Spurrier does leave, it does not look like he was forced out?"

"Mark Maske: I physically beat the comment out of him."

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally posted by jbooma

Bubba I heard a rumor today you don't want to hear ;)

After Spurrier leaves the NFL after next year that he will replace Fulmer at Tenn, where Spurrier is from :thud:

Fulmer is signed through 2009. Beside Spurrier dislike of UT stems from not being recurited by the Vols out of High School. I doubt he would ever coach there.

a side note, my Dad uses to watch Spurrier play QB at Science Hill. A nieghbor was the coach at their rival Dobyns-Bennett..where I attended years later.

Archived