Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RFK memories

Dan T.

I have been to many games at RFK, and have a lifetime of wonderful memories. The seat cushion playoff game against Atlanta, my very first game at RFK on 10/13/85 against the Lions. My first Monday Night game on 11/18/85, where Joe Theismann broke his leg (that part wasen't so great).

But since this is related to just the Cowboys, I have 2 memories I would like to share. One related, one kinda related.

The first Cowboys game I ever went to was on 11/23/86. The Redskins kicked the sh1t out of the boys 41-14. The crowd was at a constent roar throughout the game. "Hail to the Redskins" was sung so much, I bet the cowboy players could resite every word to the song after that.

I was at the 1987 NFC Championship game, that was played on my birthday, 1/17/88 against the Vikings. Right after Darrell Green knocked out the ball from the Viks WR on the goaline at the end of the game to win it for us, the crowd went nuts. I had never heard it soooooo loud before. It was deafaning.

After much celabrating in the stands, hugging and high fiveing people I didn't know, I made my way back to our tailgate, and I told my friend (who I get my tickets from) that that was the loudest I have ever heard RFK. He said that was only half as loud as it was at the '82 NFC Championship game against the Cowboys.

That totally blew my mine.

I was at the 1987 NFC Championship game, that was played on my birthday, 1/17/88 against the Vikings. Right after Darrell Green knocked out the ball from the Viks WR on the goaline at the end of the game to win it for us, the crowd went nuts.

That must have been a great birthday present!

However, I quote what you wrote because I always believed over the years that Darrell knocked the ball away from Darren Nelson. Then a few months ago ESPN Classic replayed the '87 Redskins yearbook and I recorded it. I must have watched that play 10 times. While Darrell had tight coverage, he never touched the ball. Darren Nelson dropped it, it hit him right on the shoulder pad.

Perhaps NFL Films has a bad angle on the play, but after watching it over and over I swear he never touched it. I'm sure someone has the game on tape though that can easily put me in my place. :)

:cheers:

Bringing food in to the game. No problem at RFK. Baggies of jumbo shrimp and ****tail sauce, pistachios, subs. 'Nuther story at Fed Ex Field.

I know a lady, 83 years old now, a longtime, true Redskins fan who used to go to all the games at RFK from the early 60's on. Made the move to Fed Ex, but her ticket was way up in the upper deck - hard for her to get there. Making it to her seat was a small victory, and she would stay put through the game. She would bring in her purse a 12 ounce bottled water so she wouldn't have to walk back down to buy anything, and so she didn't have to impose on others to go fetch anything for her. (Besides, she couldn't fathom paying $4 for water.)

Second year at Fed EX the black shirts outside the stadium confiscated her bottle of water. It was the last game she ever attended. She still watches every minute of every game on TV, but taking her water was the last straw for her.

OUCH! There are ways to get what you want in the stadium.....I figured this thread would fill up with page after page. Another thing I liked visiting all of the vendors that set up between the metro stop and the stadium. They always had the neat little unlicensed merchandise. Me and my dad still wear our "Dallas Sucks" pins to every game. Got them in '92 before that Dallas game.

0116_large.jpg

1010_large.jpg

0131_large.jpg

Can’t believe they had the nerve NOT to put the 26-3 thrashing of Dallas in the ‘72 NFC Title Game on a cover ... or the 14-7 gut-check against Minnesota in the ‘87 version. Those woulda been nice to look at too. :)

Cool SI covers, Om.

Another RFK memory. Stopping Russ Grimm on the upper deck stairs and having my picture snapped with him. I had seats in the upper deck in the section below the coaches box. He was hustling up the steps to get back in to the coaches box for the start of the second half. I saw him coming, gave my disposable camera to my buddy, then stopped him on the steps. He sort of reluctantly paused for the picture with me standing next to him. Only my buddy, the worst photographer in the Western Hemisphere, snapped the shot too early, so what you see is me approaching Grimm and him looking at me like I'm some kind of stalker. Oh well.

I wish I'd gotten to see the team at RFK while it was great .. however being born in 85 I only ever got to go to one game at RFK ..

Unfortunately we lost to the 9ers in OT that game .. it was the one where gussy came out for a play and heath came onto the field to hand the ball of once ... to a chorus of boos.

Archived