Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws on the TK show

jbooma

Why is everyone so hung up on freakin arm strength? How many times per game is the chance presented to throw the Culpepper to Moss type bomb? Sure, its nice to have that ability. Its also nice to play quickly & intelligently, making the defense figure you out. Tim gives us that. ...as a backup.

I really am in Ramsey's corner. I think given time, and allowed to stay healthy, he's our guy. But personally, I think there is a helluva lot more to being a QB than arm strength.

There is still much to be learned. But the force is strong with this one.

About Samuels not being missed, I could be wrong but I remember seeing Winey not left alone. He has had help, whether its been someone chipping his man, or extra Tight End help.

Back to Ramsey:

Early in the year Ramsey was mobile, ala his game winning run against the jets. If he it hurts just to plant, scrambling in the pocket must be very painful. The feet are so important for the throwing motion, be is arm strength and accuracy. Bad feet give you kyler boller...can throw 60 yards from his knees but can't get 60 yards passing in a game. The foot issue explains why we haven't seen the progression we have all hoped for. But it is there, or he would have been awful.

Originally posted by jbooma

Didn't some guy named JM not have a strong arm but was great at motivating his players and able to improvise, hmmm ;)

I will say and I heard more then one player say this, Tim is more assertive in the huddle and the guys look up to him, don't know what that means but it has been said.

So after two NFL starts and three games, you're comparing him to Joe Montana? "Hmmmm" is right.

You can find an exception to the rule in lots of places, but it doesn't change the rule.

I'm glad he's a competitor, but Ramsey's a leader too, just more quiet about it? Do you really think TH is tougher than PR?

This whole scaled down offense is a little bit of BS. We have been running better and that has helped hasselbeck a great deal, but to me, ramsey's worst plays were his three step drops where he took three steps, waited, pumped, whap!

This has happened at least once, and is the biggest indicator that there is aserious difference between hasselbeck and ramsey. Even when ramsey had short plays called, he got sacked.

I hope it was the foot.

-DB

The offense has definately changed since Ramsey went down, but to say it is all because of Hassleback is just ludicrous. Spurrier has run the ball a lot more lately, add to that, the offensive line is in it's 14th week of playing, instead of it's 6th or 7th. Things like that also help out. Who's to say if Ramsey was still in there INJURY-FREE, that the offensive line would still not get better as it has lately?

Spurrier was too caught up in trying to exploit Ramsey's arm strength, every other pass play was a 25yd laser down the field. I think I remember a stat from the first 6 weeks that the Redskins were #1 pass plays over 20yds, yet the offense overall was ranked very low.

Having Hassleback in there has certainly seemed to humble Spurrier a bit, and put to rest his notion that every pass needs to be an 8-step drop for 50yds. Not to mention crappy weather in NY helped Spurrier along with calling running plays.

Hassleback + Ramsey's injury, realistically might be the greatest thing to happen to Spurrier and his way of approaching an NFL gameplan. All Spurrier has to do is see how much better our team has been when setting up the pass with the run. Look at the Carolina/Miami/NO/NY games......we only won, one of them, however we were in the position to win all four of them in the 4th quarter, and had it not been for our defense breaking down, we could be 8-5 right now instead of 5-8. Add to the fact that all three of those losses came to quality opponents.

Oh and as far as the knock on Ramsey for not having touch, I will call BS on that. Favre barely gets any flack for throwing lasers on 5 yard passes, hell Madden even MARVELS at it. Look, I am not disagreeing that Ramsey could work on it a bit, but for christ sakes, this is the NFL dammit, if a football is hitting you in the numbers, then it shouldn't matter how hard or soft the ball is thrown, make the catch.

When Ramsey returns next year at 100% I really sincerely hope that Spurrier has learned his lesson and watched the difference in our offensive scheming from the past few games + the first few games of the season, and the debacle of a middle season we had, and realize that just because Ramsey has a strong arm, doesn't mean he needs to exploit it on every play, and that with the commitment to the running game, Deep Passes will open up with ease later on in the game.

Originally posted by jbooma

And why does the offense click better with Tim back there?? Someone answer that for me.

Because it hasn't jbooma. Go back and look at games where PR was given a running attack, the points came there. It's not like TH is racking up yards. Do some research. The success is an indictment of Spurrier as much as anything. There is a lot of talent and a simple system that plays to its strengths is successful versus a complex system that doesn't play to its strengths.

Originally posted by ummagumma

Because it hasn't jbooma. Go back and look at games where PR was given a running attack, the points came there. It's not like TH is racking up yards.

You dont' need yards to be successful. Look at the 3rd down ratio, time of possesion, pass completion rate, penaltys are down, etc......... The offense also looks more fluid and not forcing things. Even Trung is starting to run like we wanted at the beginning.

Originally posted by codeorama

Very True bubba...

With TH getting rid of the ball quickly, Beating the dallas blitz MIGHT be a little easier this time.

With Spurrier beginning to make calls for more reasonable routes our QB's won't HAVE to hold onto the ball as long. Double edged sword Code.

Archived