Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Caps fire HC

jbooma

From washingtoncaps.com

Capitals Name Glen Hanlon Head Coach

The Washington Capitals today announced Bruce Cassidy has been relieved of his head coaching duties while Glen Hanlon will now serve as head coach. The announcement was made by vice president and general manager George McPhee.

A press conference has been called for 3:30 p.m. today at Piney Orchard Ice Arena in Odenton, Md.

Hanlon, 46, becomes the 13th head coach in franchise history and embarks on his first career NHL head coaching position. He joined the Capitals' coaching staff last season after spending three campaigns as head coach of the Portland Pirates, Washington's American Hockey League affiliate

While I applaud this move too I think the root of the problem may be George McPhee. While I loved him as a player I have been less than impressed with him as a GM. Some of the moves he has made to this point have just been puzzling.

Jagr is still here, the defense stinks, and the offense is inconsistent at best. If this isn’t the definition of a rudderless ship I don’t know what is.

When Cassidy made those comments to the team last week about how they're letting their personal lives interfere with their playing, he signed his own pink slip right then.

A few of the players are dealing with stuff like recently deceased parents, a wife going through a difficult pregnancy, a child diagnosed with a serious disease.

Nice move, coach.

Posse81-

I can agree with you on his hands being tied in regards to Jagr (at this point) but IMO the move to bring him in and to sign him to the contract they did was very questionable. Add that the defensive problems that have been ignored for years and you can see why we have problems.

At this point the Caps have the 5th highest payroll in Hockey and would need a serious run of wins just to be considered average. Again, I like McPhee as a player and was very excited when he was named GM here a few years ago. I though if nothing else he would bring in the type of players like he was when he played: tough, smart and team first guys. He hasn’t.

I just don’t see that the team has any real direction at all. They need to either dump guys like Gonchar, Bondra, and Kolzig and commit to the youth movement or tell us what player we need to add to put us over the top. I think the latter isn’t too likely.

Archived