Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Jones supports QB Carter - `today'

TK

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/sports/7452727.htm

Jones supports QB Carter - `today'

JAIME ARON

Associated Press

IRVING, Texas - Jerry Jones pulled Quincy Carter aside for some encouraging words early this week.

It wasn't because he thought the quarterback needed it. It was because Jones thought Carter had earned it.

Jones told Carter to be proud of what he's accomplished this season in leading the Dallas Cowboys to an 8-5 mark. He told Carter not to let two consecutive poor outings distract him from the three remaining games because Dallas needs to win them all to be guaranteed of making the playoffs.

"He's playing at a level that has got us with the record we've got," Jones said Tuesday. "You say you want a quarterback to win, you want a quarterback to basically play at a level that gets you in a position to contend. I look at the overall thing and I think we've got to give him his due."

Jones described his conversation with Carter during a gathering with reporters, saying he met with the quarterback within the past 12 hours.

The owner-general manager also gave Carter a strong endorsement for next season, saying, "based on how far he's come, how he's evolved, I don't have a veteran quarterback in my mind."

Then again, Jones did strongly qualify all statements with phrases like "as of today." He added that he would be disappointed if the Cowboys don't make the playoffs. A late-season collapse obviously could change Jones' opinion of Carter.

Nonetheless, Jones did say, "As we sit right here today, I have no reason to believe that he won't continue to improve, learn from his mistakes. He's at the stage of his development where he will do that. ... I am in good shape with what Quincy can do for the Cowboys for years to come."

Carter declined comment until Wednesday.

Coach Bill Parcells was not available until Wednesday. On Monday, when Parcells was asked whether Carter needs to be more than a caretaker of the offense, the coach said: "You can't make him into something he's not. Not right now."

When asked Tuesday if Parcells shared his opinion of Carter, Jones said: "I don't know that he doesn't feel that way."

Carter has been a lightning rod for criticism since Jones drafted him in the second round in 2001 and labeled him the eventual heir to Troy Aikman, then sped up the transition by making Carter the starter midway through training camp.

Carter had to win the job again the following training camp while learning a new offensive system. He did, but was benched after seven games and replaced by Chad Hutchinson. He beat out Hutchinson again this summer in yet another system.

Carter seemed to click under Parcells, drawing rave reviews for his play as the Cowboys opened 7-2. The big key was minimizing his bad plays and making some good ones.

For instance, in Dallas' wins, Carter has 10 TD passes and seven interceptions. His ratio is 4-11 in losses.

Carter has been especially sloppy during a 1-3 skid. In the past two, Carter had four second-half turnovers in a 41-20 loss to Miami, then did little right in the second half of a 36-10 loss to Philadelphia.

His biggest mistake was an interception on the third play of the third quarter. It was a pass he shouldn't have thrown and it set up the Eagles for the touchdown that broke a 10-10 tie. Carter finished with just 93 yards passing and only one completion to a receiver.

Having seen and heard the latest round of Carter-bashing, Jones decided to add a different tune to that chorus.

"I certainly reminded him to use some of the success he's had on and off the field as a confidence builder, as a steadying influence, in terms of where he goes from here," Jones said.

"I used the example that it would be like if I had a wreck this afternoon and tore the fender on my car and get out and say, `Well, I'm broke now, just bankrupt.' It's not that grievious."

The Cowboys close at Washington, home against the New York Giants and at New Orleans. All three teams have losing records, and they've already beaten the Redskins and Giants. Three wins definitely would earn at least a wild-card berth; two probably would be enough.

The NFL even released a scenario Tuesday in which the Cowboys could clinch a playoff spot Sunday. All it would take are victories by Dallas and Minnesota, a win or tie by Seattle, plus losses or ties by San Francisco, New Orleans and Tampa Bay.

Put more simply, Dallas fans need to root for the Cowboys, Vikings, Seahawks, Bengals, Giants and Texans.

"For a team that's lost two, I feel pretty good about where we're positioned," Jones said. "We've got a lot to play for and everybody knows it."

Especially Carter.

Extra points: RB Aveion Cason's knee injury was worse than expected. Surgery Tuesday revealed a torn ligament in addition to cartilage damage. Both were corrected, but he'll need up to nine months to heal. He was placed on injured reserve. ... Jones said Cason's roster spot probably won't be filled this week, but rookie ReShard Lee, signed to the practice squad last week, could eventually get it.

Archived