Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier ran the ball 48 times.

Zen-like Todd

Canidate played amazingly well today. Kept drives alive with power running, and combined that with quick moves to the outside when it was open.

If Jansen could just block a little better, I would have had more confidence.

Regardless, I think this shows that spurrier isn't an idiot. The conditions were not ripe for throwing the ball.

However, Hasselbeck played a superb game. It is easy to rack up the runs when the QB makes the throws to keep drives alive on third down.

-DB

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Well I will give it to him that he kept with it even though it was clearly not working.

Who says it wasn't. They didn't put up amazing number on the ground but they got in workable third down situations and controlled the ball to hold the lead. It was some ugly smash mouth football and I love it!!!

Originally posted by RAC

Who says it wasn't. They didn't put up amazing number on the ground but they got in workable third down situations and controlled the ball to hold the lead. It was some ugly smash mouth football and I love it!!!

The weather helped with the play calling, but hasselback was making some throws out there. Spurrier will call what ever is working, or he feels will work to get the win. People bash him if we pass alot, but what you don't see on TV is that there are receivers open many of the times, if the QB can get the ball to them.

We win, enjoy

Well that explains the weather. H*ll must have froze over, and the snow spilled over onto the east coast. :laugh:

That's still a concern. He ran 48 times for 150 yards? Is 150 right?

That's a 3.1 average. given that there were 5 or 6 10+ yard carries, the running game wasn't that hot.

Gotta say though, at least he kept with it. finally. Two games in a row would be unlikely....

I'm still not convinced. HBC has shown he can be pretty hardheaded about running the ball. Anybody wanna bet that if Ramsey was still in the game that we'd have been "pitchin' an catchin' it around the field a little bit" ? Sorry, but I've soured on the Ballcoach and I just don't forsee him changing his spots.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

I'm still not convinced. HBC has shown he can be pretty hardheaded about running the ball. Anybody wanna bet that if Ramsey was still in the game that we'd have been "pitchin' an catchin' it around the field a little bit" ? Sorry, but I've soured on the Ballcoach and I just don't forsee him changing his spots.

Well, even if Ramsey WAS in the game, would you want the HBC to run the ball 80% all season, or throw it enough so that Ramsey learns?

I seem to recall that Spurrier started this season running a balanced offense. The problem started when the OL couldn't protect even when we were only throwing 48% of the time. Ramsey was beaten up from day one.

I agree wholeheartedly with Tom Boswell that the Redskins need to learn to play hard first, win second. The problem isn't so much the coaching (though I'm on the ASF lynch Helton bandwagon) ... it's that the players are used to self-doubt, used to being selfish because their world is turned upside down every year ... in other words, used to losing.

Just like 1998 and 2001, the team needed to face the possibility of ultimate failure before coming together, being personally accountable and playing inspired football.

Unlike 1998 and 2001, there is no uncertainty about who the head coach will be next year. Steve Spurrier will be the head coach, so if you're a player, you can't rely on the good graces of a new coaching staff -- You MUST perform better NOW or you're gone.

Accountability starts from the top ... we may have a new defensive coordinator next year. But frankly, given that the previous three one-year defensive coordinators (Rhodes, Schottenheimer, Lewis) finished in the top 10 ... I think it's safe to say that the we can get a new one.

Archived