Extremeskins

Skins.com:Winey Gets Opportunity to Shine

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12317

Winey Gets Opportunity to Shine

11/28/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

If not for Brandon Winey’s mammoth size, you might not otherwise consider him to be a football player. For a 6-7, 315-pound offensive tackle, he is an unassuming character in a Redskins locker room with plenty of personality.

Winey is not exactly a household name in Washington, so introductions may be in order. He signed with the Redskins in early August and earned a roster spot on the team in training camp. And he went about his business for the first 11 weeks of the regular season, getting work on special teams.

That’s the way it is for most backups on NFL rosters—especially when the backup is behind a Pro Bowler like Chris Samuels. When Samuels suffered a sprained knee in last Sunday’s game at Miami, Winey stepped in and saw his first significant action in the NFL.

WineyPractice2.jpg

Now, just one week later, Winey will make his first NFL start on Sunday against the New Orleans Saints. (Samuels is expected to miss 1-2 weeks.)

It is Samuels who has been the biggest help to Winey this week as he prepares for Sunday’s game.

“Chris is watching film with me, going over the plays with me in the meeting room, and he’s even taking notes for me,” Winey said. “He’s just making sure I have everything down.

“I’ve been watching a whole lot of film and studying the moves of the defensive end [saints' Darren Howard] that I’ll be playing against,” he added. “If I just play with excellent technique, I think I’ll be okay.”

The 25-year-old Winey is a former sixth-round draft pick (164th overall) by the Miami Dolphins in the 2001 NFL Draft. He spent time on Miami’s practice squad that year before signing with the Denver Broncos for the last three games of the season.

Winey was released in the 2002 preseason by the Broncos and was subsequently signed to the Seattle Seahawks' practice squad. He suffered a leg injury that sidelined him for the season.

A product of LSU, Winey started three years in college and earned third-team All-America honors and second-team All-Southeastern Conference acclaim as a senior.

Sunday’s start against New Orleans will be his first since college. He has bulked up nearly 20 pounds since then. Both he and left guard Derrick Dockery, a rookie out of Texas who will make his ninth career NFL start on Sunday, will be facing a challenge in a Saints’ defensive line that registered seven sacks in last year’s game between the two teams.

Howard, who Winey will be matched up against this Sunday, recorded three sacks in a game that New Orleans would go on to win 43-27. This year, Howard returned to action two weeks ago after missing eight games with a right wrist injury. He has three sacks so far this season.

Head coach Steve Spurrier praised Winey for his performance in the Miami game. Winey was beaten once by Dolphins’ Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Taylor for a sack, but otherwise he handled the pressure well.

Spurrier expects to provide Winey and Dockery some blocking help on pass downs.

“Maybe a little bit—they’ve got a very good defensive end over there,” Spurrier said on Friday. “But Brandon needs to go play. We won’t want to feature any 10-yard drops. Hopefully we’ll be smart enough to not hold the ball a long time. So we’ll help him out a little bit, but he hung in there against Jason Taylor when he was in there last week.”

Winey cited his footwork as most improved since the start of the season. Footwork is key because it helps an offensive lineman maintain leverage against on-rushing defensive ends, he said.

“Last year I was out of football, so I was a little rusty on my footwork,” he said. “The coaches have done a great job in getting my technique down—and just watching Chris Samuels play has helped me improve my footwork, too.”

Winey is viewing his first NFL start as a chance to prove that he can compete on this level. He may be quiet and unassuming, but he’s a battler at the line of scrimmage.

“I’m going out there were a clear head and I’m not going to put any pressure on myself,” he said. “I’m just going out there to play football and do my best.”

Originally posted by TK421CLICKER

Hopefully we’ll be smart enough to not hold the ball a long time. So we’ll help him out a little bit, but he hung in there against Jason Taylor when he was in there last week.”

I'm seeing a few more of these so-called 'backhanded slaps at Ramsey'...

Archived