Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Spurrier shows support for his staff

TK

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20031124-110830-9081r.htm

Spurrier shows support for his staff

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier yesterday gave an earnest endorsement of his coaching staff as speculation about the job security of defensive coordinator George Edwards began to intensify.

The Redskins defense, after ranking No. 5 last season under Marvin Lewis, has slumped to No. 26 this year and has not been able to hold fourth-quarter leads in either of the past two games.

Sources familiar with Redskins management said there has been frustration with several assistant coaches, including Edwards, in the upper reaches of the organization. But Spurrier has contractual control over the makeup of his staff, and he made clear how he feels about his assistants.

"Our assistant coaches are an excellent group," Spurrier said. "I can assure you they put in as much time and effort trying to put our players in position to make plays as I think any staff in the NFL."

Asked whether an evaluation is forthcoming, he said any discussion would come "at the end of the season." He then declined to evaluate Edwards specifically.

"I'm not going to do that publicly," Spurrier said. "I think you would know that. We'll talk about whatever we need to talk about at the end of the season. But I think all of our coaches — all of them — have done an excellent job and have tried their best to put our players in position to make plays."

Edwards is in his first season as an NFL coordinator, getting the promotion from linebackers coach after Lewis departed to coach Cincinnati. Edwards has been hampered by a lack of impact defensive linemen and by his linebackers freelancing. Players generally have supported him in private and on-the-record conversations, citing his lack of experience as a reason for any perceived errors.

"I wouldn't say he's [in] over his head," linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said yesterday. "George knows what he's doing. George is young; he's in his first year as a coordinator. There's a big difference going [from a position coach to coordinator]. It was like me going from college to the NFL. He's going to have some tough times."

OT Jones signed

The Redskins acquired another talented but troubled free agent, signing former New England offensive tackle Kenyatta Jones to a two-year, minimum-salary deal with no signing bonus.

Jones was projected to start by the Patriots but was cut Oct. 26 from the reserve/PUP list after being charged with assaulting his house guest and administrative assistant, Mark Paul. Police said Jones poured boiling water on Paul, causing second- and third-degree burns to Paul's back, shoulder and forehead.

Twice earlier this season, the Redskins signed players fresh from being released by their prior teams. First it was tight end Byron Chamberlain, who was cut by Minnesota after returning overweight from an ephedra suspension; then it was defensive tackle Darrell Russell, whom Oakland jettisoned when the league ended an indefinite suspension for drugs.

Vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said Jones had "just an isolated incident that was checked out thoroughly."

Jones could contribute in coming weeks with left tackle Chris Samuels nursing a sprained knee that is likely to sideline him at least one game, but conditioning will be an issue. Jones was on the reserve/PUP list after undergoing surgery to repair fractured kneecaps. Both Chamberlain and Russell have had conditioning questions in Washington, too.

"We'll find out [whether Jones can contribute soon]," Cerrato said. "We'll see how quickly he can learn things."

Injury report

Defensive tackle Jermaine Haley was placed on injured reserve to make room for Jones. Haley, who started five of the first six games at nose tackle, will undergo surgery on his fractured thumb, Spurrier said. ...

Samuels said he was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his right knee today. The early indications remain MCL damage, and Spurrier expects him to be out one or two games. ...

Running back Ladell Betts should return to practice this week and play Sunday against New Orleans. Washington will evaluate Betts as its potential feature tailback; a poor close to the season could lead to an aggressive pursuit of a running back in the draft or free agency. ...

An MRI apparently revealed wide receiver Darnerien McCants has a bruised knee. There had been some concern about a sprain when the joint began swelling on the plane ride back from Miami. ...

Wide receiver Taylor Jacobs shouldn't miss much time with a mild knee sprain. ... Center Larry Moore (foot) and safety Andre Lott (ankle) remain unlikely to play this week.

The writing is on the wall. George Edwards will be gone after this year. Although, I think he's done a fairly decent job, and of late, has really been sending the blitz more than often.

It's not his fault the FO didn't address the DL issues before the season began.

Helton is gone for sure! Why in the heck did we ever let Russ Grim go to Pittsburg? AGGGGGHHHH!

Originally posted by TK421Clicker

Sources familiar with Redskins management...

Management?

Did you guys hear that?

We've got MANAGEMENT baby!!!

Woooooo-hooooooooooo!

And who among us hasn't tossed a little boiling water on a friend in a moment of weakness! :laugh:

Originally posted by skinsfanjoe

The writing is on the wall. George Edwards will be gone after this year.

I'll bet you're wrong. I don't see Spurrier throwing Edwards out after one year when he knows George didn't have all the pieces he needed and linebackers were occasionally doing whatever they wanted. More importantly, Snyder can't make him do it.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

I'll bet you're wrong. I don't see Spurrier throwing Edwards out after one year when he knows George didn't have all the pieces he needed and linebackers were occasionally doing whatever they wanted. More importantly, Snyder can't make him do it.

You are correct, technically Snyder can't make him do it. But we all know that what Danny wants, Danny gets. He will find a way to get rid of Edwards if that is what he really wants.

Trust me, if a proven defensive guru becomes available during the offseason, The Dan is gonna get him. He always gets his man.

"Vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said Jones had "just an isolated incident that was checked out thoroughly.""

Yeah, I don't understand all the fuss. It was only boiling water. Now, if it would have been sulfuric acid or something, than you'd have to look a lot closer at the guy.

These are the coaches that need to be gone next season:

DeChon Burns- Defensive Assistant/Special Teams

Ken Clarke- Assistant Defensive Line

Jim Collins- Outside Linebackers

George Edwards- Defensive Coordinator

Kim Helton- Offensive Line

Lawson Holland- Tight Ends

John Hunt- Assistant Offensive Line

Robert Nunn- Defensive Line

Mike Stock- Special Teams

If Spurrier is still around next season, he will proabably keep Edwards around as the DC, but he really needs to go back to coaching the LB's. If Edwards is kept as the DC, we will see a vast improvement in the D from this year to next year, but I really don't think he is meant to be a DC.

Originally posted by Buck

These are the coaches that need to be gone next season:

DeChon Burns- Defensive Assistant/Special Teams

Ken Clarke- Assistant Defensive Line

Jim Collins- Outside Linebackers

George Edwards- Defensive Coordinator

Kim Helton- Offensive Line

Lawson Holland- Tight Ends

John Hunt- Assistant Offensive Line

Robert Nunn- Defensive Line

Mike Stock- Special Teams

If Spurrier is still around next season, he will proabably keep Edwards around as the DC, but he really needs to go back to coaching the LB's. If Edwards is kept as the DC, we will see a vast improvement in the D from this year to next year, but I really don't think he is meant to be a DC.

Not trying to pick a fight Buck, but based on what??

Do you know anything (I mean really know, not what we all THINK we know) about these guys...who's a hard-charger, who's not, who lives and breathes the job, who doesn't? I'm as unhappy as the next guy, but its time we dance with the big, fat, ugly, pimple-faced, hairy chinned lady we brought. Other than getting a pass rush, some O-line help, a TE who can hold onto the ball, a younger punter, and shedding a malcontent player or two, I don't really want to see any more of the player/coach carousel. Stock deserves to stay in my mind, our Special Teams play has really improved. Helton might need to go. But other than him, what have the rest of the guys on your list done to deserve to get hacked?

Do you know anything (I mean really know, not what we all THINK we know) about these guys...who's a hard-charger, who's not, who lives and breathes the job, who doesn't? I'm as unhappy as the next guy, but its time we dance with the big, fat, ugly, pimple-faced, hairy chinned lady we brought. Other than getting a pass rush, some O-line help, a TE who can hold onto the ball, a younger punter, and shedding a malcontent player or two, I don't really want to see any more of the player/coach carousel. Stock deserves to stay in my mind, our Special Teams play has really improved. Helton might need to go. But other than him, what have the rest of the guys on your list done to deserve to get hacked?

I blame everything on John Hunt

Originally posted by Tarhog

Not trying to pick a fight Buck, but based on what??

I don't have any hard facts as to why some of these guys shouldn't be here next year, all I know is that these have been some of the problem areas we've seen during games. I didn't mean to include Stock in that list though. I do think that having the right players on the DT (younger and more talented) will help a lot. I had Collins on the list becuase of Edwards. If he stays but is not the DC next season, I think he should be the LB coach.

Having most of the same staff would help the players next season though. Soemthing needs to be doen with the way things are done around Skins Park.

Archived