Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A key defensive adjustment by Miami

freakofthesouth

Samuels didn't have the greatest game. He was getting beat a little by Taylor on the edge. However, he still kept the pocket from collapsing throughout the second quarter.

But, when he went down, the game changed.

Enter Winey, whose name says it all.

He was losing the battle on the end against Taylor for the rest of the game. Who can blame him? He wasn't ready to take on a DE of this caliber.

Fortunately, Hasselbeck had the presence to step up in the pocket, avoiding the pass rush from Taylor for most of the game.

Then, Miami made a key defensive adjustment.

They knew that Taylor was closing the back of the pocket off every play. So, in order to get pressure on Hasselbeck, they brought inside blitzes to get a push from the defensive interior.

This collapsed the pocket, and any passing success that the skins had in the first half.

Samuels might not be having his best year, but his injury was crucial in the loss last night.

That goes to show that we need a GM. Because our depth is horrible. We have all our money tied up in all our starters and nothing for depth. Look at the Eagles for instance. When one of their players goes down. Some dude just steps right in like he's been a starter in the league for 5 years. That's also due to coaching too. But I think we are in dire need of a GM.

Originally posted by brookboyz25

That goes to show that we need a GM. Because our depth is horrible. We have all our money tied up in all our starters and nothing for depth. Look at the Eagles for instance. When one of their players goes down. Some dude just steps right in like he's been a starter in the league for 5 years. That's also due to coaching too. But I think we are in dire need of a GM.

Not sure if this is a GM issue or a modern era salary cap issue. I don't think teams HAVE depth any more. In this era teams just don't have depth at every position like the big spenders (like us) did in the 80s. Our OL had guys we could switch in all the time. Contrast that to seeing Brad Badger playing for the Raiders. I just like making fun of Brad Badger, and his name is funny too.

Originally posted by brookboyz25

I think it's both a coaching and GM issue and it boils down to continuity. Quite simply, none of our backups have been with our system for a very long time. In Philly, the backups can step in and know exactly what they need to do because they've been practicing it for years. Some of our backups weren't even around during training camp. We need a lot more stability with our personnel before we'll be able to just plug people in when starters go down.

I don't know Rabid.

The thing is, the flats are still covered in this situation. W/ ample pressure being applied at the ends, and pressure from additional pass rushers from the interior, what do you do?

I say just more running of the football. Some draws, etc., would make Taylor pay for getting upfield so fast.

We sort of abandoned the run at the end though, didn't we?

Man...

Like i've said though. Spurrier can go from here. He had some superb series, and he needs to build on those for next Sunday.

Archived