Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tivo Review of a Breakdown

Ignatius J.

You guys might remember this play from last week:

1st and 10: Three wide reciever set Tight end lined up on the right coles alone to the right, Jacobs and Gardner to the left. Rock cartwright the lone setback, ramsey under center. Ramsey snaps the ball and half-a$$es a playaction to rock, holds the ball, 1....2...3... whap hit as he throws by mike rucker who basically blew past the outside shoulder of samuels disrupting ramsey enough to send the ballinto the open arms of an opposing d-lineman.

So, what happened?

1.) Samuels sucks, get rid of him, he's a cancer and not worth the contract, besides I heard he slept with your momma....

or

2.) Nobody felt that the play had a chance of being a run to cartwright, despite the fact that it was first down. Since the play action was to samuels' side he goes into a run position and tries to seal to the outside,a great angle for run blocking, not so much for protecting a QB who needs more than 4 seconds to throw the ball. 1 of two things went wrong. Either we gave away the fact that we weren't running OR we should have run the ball here. I think samuels was supposed to do what he did, but the deception comes at a price. Against a lesser pass rusher, samuels is good enough, but in this case, he was facing a premier pass rusher who took advantage of a read.

I guess what I am saying is that the problem on this play goes way beyond samuels. It goes to the coaches, to ramsey, and to whoever on the line is telling the opposing team what play we're about to run....

any comments?

-DB

Saragusa (sp? - the lard ass former DL from the Ravens sideline "reporter") said that the entire Skins line was tipping the plays by the way they were setting up. He was calling EVERY play pass or run just by the way they were setting up.

THAT'S coaching my bruthas, or rather, LACK thereof!

I completely agree that Ramsey is very unconvincing with his play-action. Which is both on him and the coaches. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you are correct in that Samuels executed correctly, it's just that the fake had no effect on Rucker. Didn't slow him down one bit. And Rucker is too good for Samuels to recover from that. This does indicate that, one, Ramsey isn't selling his fakes, and, two, defenses are getting a good read on the Redskin offense. Both causes are coaching issues.

I just don't understand what is so difficult about executing a fake handoff or pass. You would think one QB school dedicated to fakes would be sufficient.

I think Ramsey has to take a que from Peyton Manning or Chad Pennington, who I think sell the play-action better than any QB in the last decade. Maybe this offseason he'll practice making the fake more believable which holds up the DL an extra half second or so.....allowing the OL to settle into a better position to pass protect.

Maybe a better OL coach could cure the "tipping" discussed here. Another reason to jettison Kim Helton....which I think is a given at the end of the year.

Hey, I played QB1 last week during the Colts/Jets game. And I correctly called 90% of the plays. I didn't even look at the 0-line... you get a feel for the playcalling and "down and distance".

But watching Manning's playaction pass is absolutely beautiful. It's fun to watch.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

I completely agree that Ramsey is very unconvincing with his play-action. Which is both on him and the coaches. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you are correct in that Samuels executed correctly, it's just that the fake had no effect on Rucker. Didn't slow him down one bit. And Rucker is too good for Samuels to recover from that. This does indicate that, one, Ramsey isn't selling his fakes, and, two, defenses are getting a good read on the Redskin offense. Both causes are coaching issues.

I just don't understand what is so difficult about executing a fake handoff or pass. You would think one QB school dedicated to fakes would be sufficient.

True enough Sonny, but don't you think its much harder for a QB to 'play it cool' and really sell a play action when, in his mind, he's nervous about taking another pummelling if the defense doesn't but it? In other words, my point is that a large part of successfully selling a play fake is having a relaxed QB who's confident that, regardless of whether he fools the entire defense, he'll have at least a few seconds to survey the field and get rid of it. I agree Ramsey doesn't sell play-action well. But I don't think its because he's incapable. I think its because in his mind HE knows its a pass play, and he's anticipating another crushing tackle, pressure, or sack. And who can really blame him.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Funny thing is - he went to the MANNING QB SCHOOL in the last offseason!

That could very well be the reason, Tarhog. But, while I understand his nervousness about it, it becomes a vicious cycle if he doesn't execute it properly. Nervous about pass rush, doesn't sell play fake, makes rushing him even easier.

He's got to trust that his guys will protect him. He just has to. Nothing else matters if he doesn't.

Archived