Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A couple of winning scenarios.

Art

I believe winning this game really comes down to something very simple. Making a couple of plays that allow the team to believe in the coaches and the system. I'd like to see these plays be part of the regular offense and not plays we pull out to show we can and put away for a rainy day, but, the point is, this team needs a boost.

While an early INT for a touchdown by the defense or a big special teams return for a score or setting up a score by the return units would give the team a spark, it can't carry the team over the hump. The team has to come to a belief that the offense is sound and the coaches know how to make it work.

In a win, I see one of these two scenarios happening. First, we play with inspiration and confidence early. Banks MAKES plays on the opening drive or second drive. The team rallies behind their new leader. Banks thrives and feeds off the emotion of this getting the team ahead early. The defense feeling it has something to prove, steps up.

Most people don't respect our defense, ranked 19th in the league after two games. Most people still do respect the Chiefs defense, ranked 25th in the league after two games. More Redskin hating, but, with an early lead, the defense will be able to dictate a little instead of taking it.

In this scenario of victory, we could go out to an early lead, build on it in all phases and take a comfortable victory. I hope this isn't the scenario of victory we see. Why? Because if we see this, it probably won't carry over, and it probably won't signal any real change in the offense. Just a blip on the screen of competence.

The second scenario is the one I'd prefer to see. We struggle early. Banks means nothing to the offense. It's clear the offense is just incompetent. The defense fights, as they have the first two games. And, as they have in the first two games, clinging to respectable scores, someone makes a play. It's at this point something changes.

Marty tells Raye to take the day off and hands the ball to Davis 10-straight. Or, Raye tells Marty the line is dead and he'll call what comes to him, opening up a deep passing game. Trailing early and on the verge of another blowout, the offense actually shows a different play set. It starts to move.

The team starts to get a lift and we come back taking a close win. If this happens, it will mean more in the weeks to come than a quick start and a couple of big plays that go our way helping lead to a big win. I think this team needs the adversity and they need to fight through it in a game and win despite it before it will start to perform on a regular basis as we'd like.

And, I'd like another half of morbid offensive play, IF it leads to one of the coaches saying, "Enough is enough." Only if smile.gif. What we need to see tomorrow is a different feel on offense and I don't think we will early. I think it will take a special point in the game when it's clear it's about to be over before we get going and perhaps show something new and, dare I say, exciting smile.gif.

Yes, this is how I sleep at night smile.gif.

I agree with your first scenario Art, if we can get out on top early either with special teams or sustaining an early drive, gain some confidence, give the defense a reason to believe the offense will contribute, I think we can win this thing. But if we get down by more than a touchdown, this team, with the help from a lot of frustarated fans booing from the stands,will not be able to climb back. Though I would love to have this team build some character by doing just that.smile.gif

Archived