Extremeskins

Skins.com:Cartwright Still Hobbling; Haley Questionable

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12289

Cartwright Still Hobbling; Haley Questionable

11/21/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Running back Rock Cartwright remains questionable for Sunday’s game at Miami and both he and head coach Steve Spurrier were not optimistic that he’d be able to play. He has a sprained ankle suffered in last week’s game against Carolina.

“Rock is looking more and more doubtful,” Spurrier said. “He’s not done anything all week.”

Said Cartwright: “We’re treating it and we’ll see if I can go, but right now I’m still questionable. I don’t want to hurt it again and have it nagging for the rest of the season.”

Trung Canidate is expected to start at tailback in the Miami game and John Simon could see action as his backup. Ladell Betts is doubtful for the game with a fractured forearm. Chad Morton practiced lightly on Friday but remains questionable for the game.

Meantime, defensive tackle Jermaine Haley, who is listed as questionable for the game with a sprained shoulder and a fractured thumb, was not optimistic that he’d be able to play against his former team.

Haley played with Miami for three seasons prior to signing with Washington as a restricted free agent last offseason. He has been inactive for three of the last four games.

“I’m real disappointed I won’t be able to play against those guys,” he said. “I just try not to think about it. I had some friends down in Miami calling me up. I think they wanted me to play real bad, too.”

Lional Dalton is expected to draw his third consecutive start of the season.

“Dalton’s doing well,” Haley said. “He got a good push up in there against Carolina and he had a sack against Seattle. It has taken time for all of us to jell together. But I think [the defensive tackles] have stepped their game up well.”

Also on defense, Rashad Bauman practiced on Friday and was optimistic that he’d be able to play on Sunday. He is officially listed as questionable for the game.

Archived