Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:Skins roll with a little Rock

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031772075532&path=!sports!redskins&s=1045855935462

Skins roll with a little Rock

A smaller version of Davis, Cartwright solidifies ground game

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Thursday, November 13, 2003

ASHBURN The question was inevitable, and Rock Cartwright was not caught unprepared.

Should he be considered a candidate to be starting running back for the Washington Redskins?

Cartwright nodded his head in the direction of Trung Canidate and Ladell Betts.

"We have a bunch of running backs," Cartwright said. "If they want to give them a rest, if they need me, that's fine."

Cartwright, 23, did just fine last Sunday against Seattle, gaining 82 yards on 13 carries. Cartwright's performance does not mean he's better than Canidate, one of the team's fastest players. It does mean Cartwright, 5-7 and 223 pounds, deserves an extended look at running back instead of being relegated to part-time work at fullback.

When the Redskins jettisoned running back Stephen Davis for salary-cap reasons and because he didn't fit into the system of coach Steve Spurrier, the idea was to go with smaller, quicker backs, specifically Canidate and Betts.

Betts now has a broken arm and Canidate still feels lingering effects of an ankle injury. It's not clear that defenders can get low enough to sprain one of Cartwright's ankles.

Cartwright is the closest thing the Redskins have to a power running back, a mini-Davis.

"In the long term, I think I can ROCKbe a feature back," Cartwright said. "But this is not just a one-game thing. This is about being consistent. I have to do it game after game."

Opportunities to do that have been nonexistent for Cartwright since he left Conroe (Texas) High School. He was a star then, once logging 49 carries in a game, was named a high school All-American and had his choice of several colleges.

He chose Baylor but failed to meet the qualifying scores on the ACT exam. He was re-routed to Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas, where he became a fullback.

When he finished there, he had a scholarship offer from the University of Mississippi and a walk-on offer from Kansas State. Cartwright chose Kansas State.

"They had been winning, and they offered me the chance to earn a scholarship, which I did in my first week there," Cartwright said.

That did not earn him any time as a running back, though. Cartwright's most extensive duty carrying the ball came against Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. Cartwright had nine rushing attempts in that contest.

As a Redskins rookie, he had three carries. This year, Cartwright began the season as the Redskins' short-yardage back. So far, he has been successful on seven of eight third-and-1 plays. Sunday, with Betts sidelined and backup Chad Morton out with a sprained ankle, Cartwright became the Redskins' backup running back. He did not disappoint.

"It's exciting to see him run," Redskins right tackle Jon Jansen said. "Rock doesn't worry about making the first guy miss. He runs the first guy over. And he still pounds up in there and gains yards.

"The whole team feeds off that. Any good running back makes the offensive line look better."

Cartwright hopes to work in conjunction with the offensive line this Sunday in Charlotte, N.C., where the Redskins play the Panthers. Cartwright seems destined to get a chance to prove what he did against Seattle was no fluke.

"He knows how to run with it," Spurrier said. "He's stocky and sturdy. He's our strongest running back and can break some arm tackles. We thought he'd run well."

Spurrier has thought that since the Redskins drafted Cartwright in the seventh round in 2002. Spurrier likes running backs who can do everything and saw Cartwright as a dynamic player.

"I think I have a little speed, a little quickness, a little versatility," Cartwright said.

Ever since Cartwright left high school, the emphasis has been on the "little." He understands that and knows he can't change his size. All he hopes to do is change a little of the thinking on what he can or can't do because of his stature.

"You can't judge a man by his size," Cartwright said. "It's all about playing hard and winning."

AND FURTHERMORE: Fullback Bryan Johnson, who suffered a concussion against Seattle, was held out of all contact drills in yesterday's practice. Johnson is listed as probable for the Carolina game, but Spurrier said Cartwright might have to start at fullback if Johnson can't play. Center Larry Moore (foot) is, "very, very doubtful" for Sunday, Spurrier said. Defensive tackle Jermaine Haley (hand/shoulder) is on the injury report as "questionable," but Spurrier said Haley was, "somewhat doubtful."

The Redskins signed offensive lineman Mitch White (6-4, 311) and moved offensive lineman Pita Elisara to the practice squad. This is White's second tour of duty with the Redskins. . . . Brad Bedell, the frequently cut and frequently re-signed offensive lineman, was signed by the Miami Dolphins.

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com

And he does seem to make the highlights about once a game, when he picks up a blitzer, but goes low on the guy, the blitzer pauses, Rock falls at his feet, and the blitzer jumps over him.

(OTOH, when he picks up the blitzer, then they don't show him.)

Rock: You're low enough. Just put a hat in his chest and knock him on his asterisk.

Archived