Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bridgestone Performance Player Of The Week: Preston Smith

I know this has been asked several times, but I don't think I've ever seen the answer. Why do the Redskins insist on moving DEs to the OLB spot in their 3-4 hybrid defense? Why not just give it up and go back to the top 10 every year Redskins 4-3? Who knows how good Rak could have been if he would have stayed a DE? Kerrigan is a success story no question, but how much better would he be in pass rushing if he had less responsibility in pass coverage? I know there are football brains out there who know much better than I, but I do learn quickly and subscribe to Gibbs football. So why are we going completely away and staying away from Gibbs football?

I know this has been asked several times, but I don't think I've ever seen the answer. Why do the Redskins insist on moving DEs to the OLB spot in their 3-4 hybrid defense? Why not just give it up and go back to the top 10 every year Redskins 4-3? Who knows how good Rak could have been if he would have stayed a DE? Kerrigan is a success story no question, but how much better would he be in pass rushing if he had less responsibility in pass coverage? I know there are football brains out there who know much better than I, but I do learn quickly and subscribe to Gibbs football. So why are we going completely away and staying away from Gibbs football?

One reason is that the weight of D and O line players have increased since the Gibbs era and it is difficult to find good 4-3 College pass rushers with the desired size.

The increased o-lineman strength, speed, and conditioning also makes it difficult to pass rush without the extra surprise you get from the 3-4 - what LB is coming from where.

Another reason is 250 lbs. is not a good size for 4-3 DEs (need 290+) in the NFL but 240-250 is OK in College. So if they are lighter and a good pass rusher in College and have reasonable speed you make them a 3-4 pass rushing NFL OLB. Orapko wasn't that heavy and at OLB still had injury problems with the lighter constant contact of an OLB versus a 4-3 DE.

I am sure there are other reasons and I will let the more knowledgeable folks fill them In.

The biggest reason is that if you watch, we play 3-4 or 4-3. A lot of pure passing downs you will see Rk and say PS as down lineman with Hatcher Paea, Or PS will line up at OLB with Paea and Baker as DT and RK and Hatch as DE.

To get all that flexibility you need more athletic guys. The prototypical DE is just that, DE. Think Andre Carter. It's all about flexibility, something you have to have with the wide open passing game. In Gibbs day, he did not have that problem.

They is correct Orakpo was just not big enough to be a DE in the 4-3. Quite frankly he had poor technique which is why he kept ripping his pec muscle reaching back for people already past him. His injuries kept him back, not the D we play.  

It takes a while to change Ds but it will pay dividends. Our big problem has been injuries, especially at S. I keep saying this, but I will say it again, one of the unsung heros in this season is Perry Fewell who has taken guys off the street and gotten solid play out of them. With the experience they are getting and the veterans we have coming back, it could go from a position of weakness to a position of strength.

The guys on both side of the ball are growing up. We have good coaches, and great GM and some key verterans that are true leaders now. With Cousins emerging as a strength not a weakness, we should have some happy days coming our way.

Our big problem has been injuries, especially at S. I keep saying this, but I will say it again, one of the unsung heros in this season is Perry Fewell who has taken guys off the street and gotten solid play out of them.

I agree on Fewell - he has to be named the coach of coaches. What he has done by taking a lot of previously lower rated D-Backs and made them one of the quality groups in the NFL is above amazing.

I agree on Fewell - he has to be named the coach of coaches. What he has done by taking a lot of previously lower rated D-Backs and made them one of the quality groups in the NFL is above amazing.

Well you can't leave out linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti ,he has done great work with his guys as well. Joe Barry was one of many peoples biggest question mark at the start of season and being the DC he should receive some credit as well. This season has shown us fans that our current coaching staff can/has developed players, each and every week  players are stepping up in BIG ways!

That's kudos to this entire staff in which so many fans have questioned throughout the season!!!

Well you can't leave out linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti ,he has done great work with his guys as well. Joe Barry was one of many peoples biggest question mark at the start of season and being the DC he should receive some credit as well. This season has shown us fans that our current coaching staff can/has developed players, each and every week  players are stepping up in BIG ways!

That's kudos to this entire staff in which so many fans have questioned throughout the season!!!

I will say, I supported Joe Barry from the start. The results are decent. I would not say great. Also, Kirk O had done OK. But he has not had the turnover Perry has. I agree all the coaches have done a nice job, but Perry has taken it to another level. JMO

I will say, I supported Joe Barry from the start. The results are decent. I would not say great. Also, Kirk O had done OK. But he has not had the turnover Perry has. I agree all the coaches have done a nice job, but Perry has taken it to another level. JMO

I see your take but lets not forget we have 4 LB'S on injured reserve and the 2 starting inside LB's have came out of nowhere so he has had the same turnover if not more and has produced solid results. Just going by what the players have said recently W Compton  may just be our biggest surprise D  player of the year.  

I see your take but lets not forget we have 4 LB'S on injured reserve and the 2 starting inside LB's have came out of nowhere so he has had the same turnover if not more and has produced solid results. Just going by what the players have said recently W Compton  may just be our biggest surprise D  player of the year.  

Not going to disagree with you about Compton. But Foster was the biggest surprise to me considering he didn't get here till the 4th game of the season and only started 4 games. Probably would not have found out that much about him except for the injuries to other guys. He didn't pile up Comptons stats but really didn't expect much from him considering his career so far. Maybe just call him the best in-season pickup - at least on defense.

Not going to disagree with you about Compton. But Foster was the biggest surprise to me considering he didn't get here till the 4th game of the season and only started 4 games. Probably would not have found out that much about him except for the injuries to other guys. He didn't pile up Comptons stats but really didn't expect much from him considering his career so far. Maybe just call him the best in-season pickup - at least on defense.

I agree 100 % Foster has played as well and some times better than WC. What separates them is WC leadership as far as doing so well making the calls/adjustments and by him doing this he has taken K Robinson's job and ran with it. These are just examples of why I think you can't leave Kirk Olivadotti out of this conversation. He has done a great job this season!

I agree 100 % Foster has played as well and some times better than WC. What separates them is WC leadership as far as doing so well making the calls/adjustments and by him doing this he has taken K Robinson's job and ran with it. These are just examples of why I think you can't leave Kirk Olivadotti out of this conversation. He has done a great job this season!

I think you misunderstood me. I am not leaving Kirk O or any of the coaches out. They have all done a really great job. But JMO Fewell has done the best. Until we did get Compton and Mason in there (which I agree are playing lights out), the LB was a just OK. Where as Perry has every player he put in look at least serviceable.

Honestly, we are splitting hairs here. I agree the entire staff has over-achieved. And that certainly includes Kirk O. It's just for me I really like what Perry has done.

Kirk Olivadotti  done a fine job every time he's been here. He's been let go and rehired so many times he might think his name is Kearse. I don't know why - maybe just some kind of financial thing going on. He doesn't go anywhere else and the Skins always hire him back.

I said awhile back that I thought the main reason for the Redskins improvement on Defense was due to Perry Fewell. I still see it that way. They've done well to get this far but still waiting Berry out but he is doing the things now that I was frustrated at with what he should've been doing early on. As outstanding a job that Perry has done, there just aren't enough guys left in the secondary to succeed without pressuring the QB. It means taking some chances but when they back off is when their opponents start making progress. Granted I have an extremely unpopular view but that's just here.

But for now I'll just enjoy the moment because who knows how much longer it's going to last...

Kirk Olivadotti  done a fine job every time he's been here. He's been let go and rehired so many times he might think his name is Kearse. I don't know why - maybe just some kind of financial thing going on. He doesn't go anywhere else and the Skins always hire him back.

I said awhile back that I thought the main reason for the Redskins improvement on Defense was due to Perry Fewell. I still see it that way. They've done well to get this far but still waiting Berry out but he is doing the things now that I was frustrated at with what he should've been doing early on. As outstanding a job that Perry has done, there just aren't enough guys left in the secondary to succeed without pressuring the QB. It means taking some chances but when they back off is when their opponents start making progress. Granted I have an extremely unpopular view but that's just here.

But for now I'll just enjoy the moment because who knows how much longer it's going to last...

Something interesting about this Def. I think it's worth noting - coming from an admitted supporter of Joe Barry.

When we had those "top 10" Defs we were averaging 8th to 10th in yds. However, we wavered from 18th to 21 in pts allowed, Some of that is poor Off and even STs leaving short fields. But it also means when they got the ball, they scored.

Last year under Haslett we were 20th in yds, however we were 29th in pts/gm!!!!  

So far, with all the injuries we have had and this being a new D system, and lots of new moving parts, we are 24th in yds but 17th in  pts allowed, a complete reversal and 12 spot improvement in pts allowed! I would rather give up more yds but less pts than the other way around any day.

I am in no way saying this a finished product. I want top 5 in both. That's how you win championships. But that's a pretty good sign IMO.

Archived