Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Takeaways: Redskins Defeat The Bills

Here’s five takeaways from the Washington Redskins’ 35-25 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday at FedExField.

View the full article

What a game!!  Let's get a few opportunities for improvement out of the way:

1. After weeks of solid STs play, Crowder's fumble almost started the change in momentum that usually leads to a loss. He just has to be smarter. He has to know where he is on the field and just let it bounce once he realizes how short it is.

2. We continue to struggle against running QBs. Taylor did what he wanted on the ground. Now he was deer in headlights when passing so it was OK. But I am thinking RW if we end making the POs and playing Seattle yet again. He will shred us.

3. While the running game showed a pulse, we need more. There is no reason with how well the passing game is/can be that our run game should be so poor.

4. We came out flat in the 3rd since we had a nice lead. We need to develop a killer instinct and keep our foot on the peddle.

5. Kirk Cousins -- LOL got nothing.... What a ****ing great game!!!!

So as a lead in:

Kirk Cousins was brilliant. No other words. Anyone trying to nit pick and talk about this pass or that pass, please just shut the **** up!!  No one is going to throw a perfect pass on every down. There has been a movement in the NFL on the long passes that if the WR does not have a clear step, you throw the ball a little short and on the back shoulder and let the WR make a play. I am convinced there in no one better in the NFL at adjusting to pass mid-air than DJax! What an adjustment, and then what a move! The play was right in front of us and he just made those guys look stupid.

Our WRs not named Jordan Reed are finally making plays forf their QB! PG, DJax, Ross, etc were fighting for the ball. They wanted to make plays out there. As these last few games unfold you can see the QRs trust Cousins and Cousins trust his WR.s This is practice you need with each that builds some confidence!

The running game did make a small appearance. AM was a beast when he had a chance. His numbers where not maybe the best. But most of the yards he got, where almost all on his own. The Oline still is poor at run blocking (next year...). AM was fighting clawing pushing and working for every yard! Several runs for 1st down were all AM! He may have just a made a case for keeping him on the team! Maybe?? maybe?? 

The numbers for the D are not going to look great. But don't let that fool you. They did what they had to do. Sammy Watkins is one of the best WRs in football and he was largely held in check. Amazingly Quinten Dunbar checked him more than anyone! Overall, the secondary had a great game! Many of the Tyrod runs were because the secondary just plain had their receivers were blanketed! And how about that goal line stand! Is it just me or have they done that several times in the last few weeks? It seems like every week they make some kind of stand.

The games plans on both sides of the ball were great! Awesome play calling from Sean. Nice mix. I would still like to see us pass out of Jumbo, but my guess they are waiting for the right moment. Maybe a 4th Q play in philly? The Dline was in taylors face all day. He was a elusive little ****! But they still got him 5 times, including one Ryan Kerrigan who is finally getting back to his very high level of play.

Compton and Mason continue to excel as the inside LB. There just seems to be some kind of chemistry between them (although they have to maintain lanes and not Taylor out, but that will come in time, they will watch film).

Great game to watch all the way! The score was much closer than the game. Get rid of the 3rd Q and it was not anywhere close.

The future is bright kids! Beat Philly and we are in the POs! It's just that simple!   HTTR!

For some reason, my expectations were low for this game... Aside from the game being a momentum boost, it was essentially meaningless in terms of playoff positioning. I set the bar low, I assumed all of the players knew what I did and had their minds on the Philly game, so I just want a decent game out of us... Whoa did they exceed that expectation.

My random ADD observations:

-Kirk is top 10 in every relevant statistical category. I'm glad to hear there's finally talk among management about getting him signed.

-I remember early in the season, his accuracy on 10+ yard passes was terrible. I have no idea what got into him, but he is money now. He's dumping it off far less and is showing that he trusts himself and his receivers

-3rd and 16 throw to Garcon, wow... This confidence on 3rd and long thing is new, and I effing love it

-Knock on wood- how fortunate are we that the only TE to stay healthy is Reed, who would have thunk it? 

-No big penalties on him for the second week in a row

-Running game is statistically the worst or second worst in football... there's no sugar coating how bad it is. 

-Crowder, smarten up

-Interesting/awesome to hear that opposing teams and coaches say that they are most battered and bruised after playing this team. McClu called it in pre-season, but I had my doubts.

-We dominated that game... but I would prefer to not go into that prevent D in the 3rd quarter. It seems like we always give up quick TD scoring drives when we do that

-The Bills did exactly what we used to do... We'd get our doors blown off in the first half and then take advantage of slaughter-rule defense to pad our stats and make it look interesting

-The D really seems like it's meshing well. It's not chalk full of talent, but they are playing well together. I think a lot is related to what Hatch said in the post-game interview about the guys now hanging out and becoming friends, not just teammates. 

-I wish Galette was healthy

-Damn that Cowboys loss... So much less would be relying on the outcome of the Philly game if we didn't lose to those clowns. 

Great win, but this coming Saturday night is the real game; essentially a must-win scenario.,. Aside from our run game, every other facet of this team has improved throughout the year. We got the monkey off our back about road games, we got the monkey off our back about back-to-back wins, now we need to get rid of this damn primetime game monkey!

Well I got my prediction, seven wins. Now I would like to see more, but even if we do not make the playoffs I do see mass improvement in all faucets of the game, except the running game. Kirk will get paid this off season, and I think Morris will be back with a friendly contract, and believe Colt McCoy also. Just need a couple pieces, some on run stopping and another center ,and I think this will be a team to be on the heavy up swing.

Looking forward to be able to watch this game, been trying to complete a couple jobs before Christmass, that I've had to watch the games on tape. And someone always tells me the score before I get to see it. Let's go clip some pigeon wings.

HTTR

Kirk will get paid next year. Hopefully before he becomes a free agent. It would be foolish by the FO to wait that long. And as we all know - there's no worrying about the Skins FO doing anything foolish.    :blink:

There is no way he hits free agency. If he does, we will have lost him. But like you, I am confident the FO will get something done.

They will Franchise him before he ever gets a chance to hit the open market. Seems the only thing that is troubling is whether he will get 2nd tier money $14-$15 mil. or 1st tier money $16-$17 mil. , either way we have to pay him, he is our qb for the future not a bridge to hold down the fort till we draft and train another.

Mike McCartney of Priority Sports and Entertainment is his Agent. His list of players he represents isn't very big or uber famous but they may be looking at getting on the map with the signing of Cousins. I'm very thankful that his agent isn't Drew Rosenhaus or he would destroy our salary cap.

Just for fun, I put a contact together that I thought might be it. See what you think:

It's a 5 yr, $80M contract with $35M Guaranteed. He gets paid up front but it's team friendly on the back end. We get to decide when he is at 30 what we want to do.

Year Age   Base             Signing        Roster      Workout

Salary             Bonus        Bonus          Bonus        Cap Hit        Dead Cap

2016  28   $10,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000    $13,400,000

2017  29   $11,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $14,400,000 $23,000,000

2018  30   $12,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $15,400,000 $10,000,000

2019  31   $13,800,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $17,200,000 $4,000,000

2020  32   $17,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $20,400,000 $2,000,000    

$63,800,000    $10,000,000    $5,000,000    $2,000,000   $80,800,000

$35M guaranteed - $4M of 2018 is Guaranteed. It works out to be about $16M/yr.

Just for fun, I put a contact together that I thought might be it. See what you think:

It's a 5 yr, $80M contract with $35M Guaranteed. He gets paid up front but it's team friendly on the back end. We get to decide when he is at 30 what we want to do.

Year Age   Base             Signing        Roster      Workout

Salary             Bonus        Bonus          Bonus        Cap Hit        Dead Cap

2016  28   $10,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000    $13,400,000

2017  29   $11,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $14,400,000 $23,000,000

2018  30   $12,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $15,400,000 $10,000,000

2019  31   $13,800,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $17,200,000 $4,000,000

2020  32   $17,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $20,400,000 $2,000,000    

$63,800,000    $10,000,000    $5,000,000    $2,000,000   $80,800,000

$35M guaranteed - $4M of 2018 is Guaranteed. It works out to be about $16M/yr.

I can get behind that.

The other issue is as he is gathering himself to make a run at the playoffs via winning the Division he value will increase, possibly enough to get top tier money. Either way, there is not a top tier qb draft, free agency sucks, and Kirk has a upward trend. They have to pay him and I'm glad McCloughan is at the helm.

Just to chime in on a little bit of the conversation that I've missed... Kirk is statistically in the top 10, his agent knows this, we all know this. He will get paid big money- we will either have to give him $18Mish (he's in the Tannehill/Cutler/Dalton category) or we will have to franchise him. 5 or 6 weeks ago when everyone started catching the Kirk fever, I was opposed to using the tag because it seemed like the price discrepancy btwn a $12M/yr contract, which I thought he deserved at the time, and $22M tag would be a waste of a lot of cap space. But, now that we all realize he will be getting paid, the tag may be our best option. In a way, it would be like a $4M insurance policy because he would have to replicate this year's success. I believe he is, and will continue to be, a very good QB, but 

Man pointed out the kicker change, which really has been one of the most underrated/forgotten moves of the year. Hopkins is near the top of the list of guys we need to re-sign... Did you guys see Kai kicking off on Monday night? Barely got it to the end zone, the average returns were 35 yards. 

Work's been crazy, and with xmas a couple days away, I'm not sure if I'll make it back on before the game saturday night. Just wishing you all a happy holiday and let's kick some Eagles A$$$$. HTTR.

I read an article recently (sorry guys I forgot where so I do not have a link) where several agents and FO folks from other teams were asked about Kirk's possible contract.

Most are saying in the $12 to $15 million range. One of them may have been GoSkins because it was quoted almost word for word by his outline. BTW the article did come out after his post. One said maybe $8M but then added that the above noted range was more inline. That one must have come from one of the FO types because the statement really makes no sense.

Anyway a four year deal with a fifth as a team option would let the Skins renegotiate a contract before the option year and get an extra year for spreading out the cap hit. 

I suppose the next question would be what to do with RGIII. Obviously he would have to be traded or cut to avoid his option. A trade is a roll of the dice because some teams might be willing to wait for the cut. On the other hand, some suitor might go for a trade of a draft pick/picks which is probably the way Scott would like to go. They'll be fortunate to get a fourth rounder. Maybe some kind of conditional.

Next question - who might have the best position to give up draft picks that the Skins want and that team not wanting to chance him getting away after the cut? Don't want him in the NFC East though. Maybe Houston - they are pretty close to being a real contender in their division and as a playoff team. Thinking outside the current list of the others - the Saints, if Payton gets fired, depending on the new regime. 

Don't think Sean is on the hot seat? Since their Super Bowl win in 2009 they lost in the playoffs in the next three years and since have had dwindling returns on wins the last two seasons. Payton made a pile of coaching changes this year and it's pretty obvious how that worked out. Mostly Defensive coaching changes but some on Offense and Brees at 36 is now showing signs of age injury wise. Considering they have the Jags (who will torch them this weekend) and Atlanta left this season there's a real possibility they finish with no more than the 5 wins they have now. And they would have some nice picks as far as the order goes.

Rams - Fisher has finished no better than 3rd in the West (and won't be better than 3rd this season) now in his fourth year. They have a good D but made a pretty bad deal at QB in the off season. 26-35-1 as head coach. If they change locals that won't attract a new fanbase. On the other hand they might prefer a more established FA to play it 'safe'. Again - depends on who takes over the reins because if anyone has earned the right to get fired Jeff has.

I just wanted to take a minute to wish all of my Redskin brethren a safe and happy holidays. From the Canadian chapter of Redskins nation merry Christmas to all.

HTTR!!!

Same from me!  Happy holidays to everyone! If you must travel please be safe! We need here to root these Redskins into the next year! Whatever happens Saturday the future is looking bright.

"Most are saying in the $12 to $15 million range. One of them may have been GoSkins because it was quoted almost word for word by his outline

I did that all on my own. That's pretty cool if their estimates are that close to mine. I actually did a lot of research.

I agree with most of your post. I just don't see anyone trading for Robert. We will have to cut him. I have seen others suggest that behind closed doors any contract signed by Cousins will not happen if Robert is still on the team. Also, with that $16M owed Robert next year, at the very least they will want to renegotiate his contract before agreeing to any trade.   

He will be released. I hope he does well, just not when he plays us.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Archived