Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Takeaways: Redskins-Jets

When Lauvao was in the Redskins ran the ball much better. One could say that the guys they put in need more time to learn. But going from a single RB getting 100+ yards a game to 50 for the whole team is a big drop off. If he was still in you probably don't see as many 8 man fronts because the OLine isn't getting pushed into the backfield. 

A good RB doesn't need a huge hole and it doesn't need to be open for long to get through. Watch Freeman and just not against the Redskins. Skins RBs are at least as good but they are being forced to the outside way too often or getting tagged before the line of scrimmage. 

And some of the play calling is suspect. I don't remember when it was but Washington was on about the two with first and goal. On first down they give the ball to Alf (knocked back for a loss). Where was DY? Put him to block or hand it off to him. He's the guy they have that can bully up especially with Jones out.

I am not going to question play calling. It's easy to do from our couches. I think hailmary said it, if it works it's a great play by the players but if it doesn't we tend to blame poor play calling. It's really more on the players and execution. I mean look at how many people complained about how Kyle S. called plays and he is being hailed as one of the great offensive minds in Atlanta. It's execution.

The problem is the backs are getting hit before they even get to the line. We need to decide if we are going to be a power running team or a zone blocking team. I prefer the power game. It's more reliable when you get inside the red zone.

I agree losing Lavauo should not make that much difference. Even the wholesale changes on the line should not make much difference because they are pass blocking very well. How many sacks does Kirk have? Not many. So if they can pass block they can run block. I think it's scheme and the other teams stacking the box. Right now our QB is not making them pay. We should be hitting at least 4 or 5 big plays a game and we getting none. Hit some 40 and 50 yard plays and that box will loosen up in a hurry.

"They are Back" is absolutely correct. Running against a stacked line, poor blocking from the TE position and RBs missing the holes have all contributed to a poor running attack.

So once again is it "play calling" or is it "execution" it's only a bad play call when it fails :)

So once again is it "play calling" or is it "execution" it's only a bad play call when it fails :)

It is near impossible to execute properly when you call plays the opposing team has setup a defense to stop. The problem with our running game is the opposing Ds have started setting up to stop it.

It is not just this Redskins site and the posters that are giving you that response, that you don't like, once again take a look at some of the other sites, including the article writers - you will get the same info. 

It is near impossible to execute properly when you call plays the opposing team has setup a defense to stop. The problem with our running game is the opposing Ds have started setting up to stop it.

It is not just this Redskins site and the posters that are giving you that response, that you don't like, once again take a look at some of the other sites, including the article writers - you will get the same info. 

so you are telling me it's play calling ?

Play calling is a problem - wrong plays at the wrong time will definitely take away your thunder. But play calling is only part of the problem - there are the discipline problems (lately interceptions) and there is a need for DJax to come back and give us a long threat (or try Crowder or Ross in a similar manner more often to see if they can spread the defense). 

I believe the reality is it's a bit of both. There have been quite a few plays actually that have been left on the field. For example, in the Giants game in the first half had cousins had enough arm strength he had Reed open in the EZ twice. That could have changed the entire game. That's poor execution. The play called was perfect. I agree that many times when a paly fails fans want to blame it on play calling.

However, there have been some real head scratchers in terms of play calling, not just the play itself but personnel. For me it's about 70% execution and about 30% play calling. That's just me.

I believe the reality is it's a bit of both. There have been quite a few plays actually that have been left on the field. For example, in the Giants game in the first half had cousins had enough arm strength he had Reed open in the EZ twice. That could have changed the entire game. That's poor execution. The play called was perfect. I agree that many times when a paly fails fans want to blame it on play calling.

However, there have been some real head scratchers in terms of play calling, not just the play itself but personnel. For me it's about 70% execution and about 30% play calling. That's just me.

I totally agree :) and to add about the personnel part you must remember we have been very thin so we don't know how that has affected this area but i would like to see DY in action a little more, I think we haven't used him enough for sure.

You can scheme and hide for a while but eventually the better players figure out how to beat the lesser ones. 

Archived