TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12224

Hall Has Kicking Game In Control

11/08/2003 Hall Has Kicking Game In Control

11/08/2003

Inside Slant

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

With the weather in the northeast starting to turn chilly, it’s often field goals that determine the outcome of NFL games. In recent years, the Redskins’ field goal kickers have been uncertain in those situations.

But with John Hall quickly becoming the team’s most reliable field goal kicker since Chip Lohmiller in 1994, there is renewed confidence in that area of special teams. In fact, head coach Steve Spurrier a few weeks ago labeled Hall the Most Valuable Player of the Redskins season thus far.

Hall, of course, played for six years for the New York Jets at the Meadowlands, where the winds have frequently played havoc with field goals. So if anyone is prepared for the cold weather, it’s Hall.

“I get out there early [before the games] and just try to get comfortable,” he said. “It sounds weird, but that’s what I do on the cold days. I’ll be out there early just watching which way the flags are blowing, standing around the goal post, throwing the football around a little bit. When the game starts, I’ll be aware of what’s going on.”

And he’ll be able to make the necessary adjustments.

“I might have to aim it a little toward the left or the right, depending on the wind,” he said. “Or Bryan [barker, the holder] might tilt it one way or another. But generally you don’t try and do anything drastically different.”

Hall has certainly made a difference in how the Redskins approach games this season. This year, he has converted four field goals of 50 yards or longer, which is four shy of the NFL’s season record held by Morten Andersen.

His longest of the season was a 54-yarder, which came just before halftime in the Week 2 win over Atlanta—and his points proved to be the margin of victory in the Redskins’ 33-31 victory.

“We’ve had really good weather where the wind was with him a bit, or there was no wind at all,” Spurrier said. “If we had really windy days, I don’t think we would have tried those 50-yarders. Since he can certainly reach and he’s pretty accurate, you might as well go for them.”

Said Hall: “It’s just one of those situations where I’ve been put in position to kick a lot of long ones. I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily hitting the ball the best I’ve ever hit it. I’m pretty focused and I’m trying to practice hard and be consistent and ready. But I can always kick a lot better than what I’m doing.”

Hall joined the Redskins last offseason after six years with the New York Jets. He holds the modern-day NFL record for touchbacks in a season with 29 in 1997 and he finished his career in New York third on the team’s all-time scoring list with 652 points.

Hall is perhaps best remembered in New York for his 53-yard field goal against Oakland with 59 seconds left in the 2001 season finale, securing a playoff appearance for the Jets.

Prior to the Week 6 game against Buffalo, Hall was at the top of the leader board in scoring in the NFC. He has slipped back a bit due to the bye week. On the season, Hall has made 14-of-18 field goals and 11-of-11 PATs for 53 points.

“I just try to kick the ball the same way every time,” he said. “There’s really nothing different I do. Consistency is what’s most important when it comes to field goal kicking. It’s just consistency and technique. I don’t even know if there’s any different technique for when Bryan holds the ball. I just know he does a good job at it. He’s the best I’ve been around—same with Ethan [Albright, the snapper].”

As for going after the NFL record for most field goals of 50 yards or more, it’s not even on Hall’s radar.

“I don’t care about records,” he said. “I want wins. I want us to finish with a winning record. That’s the only record I care about.”

Archived