Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the defense has struggled.

freakofthesouth

The defense has gone from a #5 ranking a few weeks ago to a current #25 ranking.

What happened to our dominating D from the beginning of the year?

Is it the D line? We can't get any pressure, so this must be why. But then, how were we #5 to begin with? That doesn't really make any sense.

Is it the banged-up secondary? Maybe. That could have played a role in the two big losses against the Bucs and the Bills.

IMO, here's the main reason why the D has struggled: the offense.

The offense has been so piss-poor at putting drives together, holding the ball, and winning the time of possesion battle, that the defense is on the field all of the time.

When this is the case, different plays are bound to happen. The run defense eventually starts to deteriorate. The penalties (including personal fouls) start to surface from frustration.

Bottom line, you start to lose the game when the defense stays on the field too long.

But, with our offense, it's not just running effectively. It's driving the ball effectively. We have to create a game-plan each drive on how to push the ball down the field, mixing pass, run, screen, draw, QB sneak, reverse, counters, spread, and even play-action.

I am willing to bet that the most significant difference from our 3-1 record to our 3-5 record is the TOP.

I'm gonna go research it.

OK.

Check this out.

Offense: 26th- TOP-28:51

Defense: 26th: TOP-31:09

These are the overall, season stats. It's very inetersting, because Kansas City is ranked 24th for offensive TOP. That's because they drive and score quick. Very interesting. Isn't their D struggling too?

I'm gonna look for individual games.

Spurrier, in his post game comments last week, made this comment. He said "We're not holding onto the ball long enough." I didn't take that to just mean "we need to score more" or just "we get too many 3-and-outs" but a direct reference to our low time of possession (obviously partly due to our 3-and-outs).

So...here is a week by week breakdown of our offensive time of possession.

There are some interesting patterns here:

Week 1 NYJ 34:46 W

WEEK 2 ATL 34:42 W

WEEK 3 NYG 27:45 L

WEEK 4 NE* 26:21 W

WEEK 5 PHI 27:31 L

WEEK 6 TB* 30:57 L

WEEK 7 BUF 23:57 L

WEEK 9 DAL 25:44 L

*In these games, the TOP did not determine the outcome of the game due to turnovers.

Interesting stats. W/ our first two wins, we were at the top of the league in both offense and defense. As the season has progressed, the TOP has declined, causing problems on both sides of the ball. The BUF game was just terrible defensively, and that has to do w/ TOP.

Skeletor, good point. Last year our Defense was "bailed out" sometimes by our bad Offense. Opposing teams only had to drive 30 or 40 yards for scores instead of 80 which makes the D look good in the rankings.

One could argue that our D might not have given up the points if a team had to drive 80 yards instead of 40, but I watched all 16 of our games, and I would not make that argument.

Archived