Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Defense Plays Physical As Promised Vs. Dolphins

D is OK - Good job Scot and Barry.

Young O-line is OK. Good job Callahan.

Cousins still throwing interceptions, not good looks like he still thinks forces the ball into a bad situations. Is it time for McCoy already? Patience will wear thin on the interceptions quickly and justifiably.

Team still making way too many mistakes at critical times. That is a head coach, Gruden, emphasis  problem that carries forward from last year. I am not sure it is a fixable problem with this head coach going into the 2nd year of it.

It could be a long year but I will give them 1 more week. Losing all those games we should have won in the past really gets old, and this week was an excellent example of getting old.

Sorry GO, but losing win you should have won is not fun.

Seriously? Let's **** can Cousins after one gm??  You can't be serious. 

Yes, he threw 2 picks. The first one was really bad. Can never throw that ball, but he is still  rookie for the most part. Again, need a little patience with the guy. The 2nd pick, was an amazing play by he defender and no help from his receiver. Those plays you throw in the direction of the WR and he is supposed to fight for you and the ball. He had a pretty solid gm save for one throw and it's time to kick him to the curb? Sorry, not with you there at all. 

Great commitment to the run game!!  All we have been hearing is how Jay will get pass happy. He stayed committed to the run. I like that. Let's build with baby steps. Losing DJax hurt pretty bad. Roberts needs to be released, now. Not sure if Ross, Crowder orGrant can play better or not, but they can;t play worse. 

This is a young team. They are going to make mistakes. This was several players first NFL action. You can continue to blame the coach if you want, but at some point the players have to take ownership. 

The D played really well against a good Miami Off. They are expected by some to challenge for a SB!  We went toe to toe with them! D kept them to 10 pts!  Would have been nice to get those picks but that's not what cost us the gm. It was STs and penalties. 

I am looking forward to the RAMs next week. They are good D but not a good Off. e should be able to got to Foles early and often. 

Seriously? Let's **** can Cousins after one gm??  You can't be serious. 

Yes, he threw 2 picks. The first one was really bad. Can never throw that ball, but he is still  rookie for the most part. Again, need a little patience with the guy. The 2nd pick, was an amazing play by he defender and no help from his receiver. Those plays you throw in the direction of the WR and he is supposed to fight for you and the ball. He had a pretty solid gm save for one throw and it's time to kick him to the curb? Sorry, not with you there at all. 

Great commitment to the run game!!  All we have been hearing is how Jay will get pass happy. He stayed committed to the run. I like that. Let's build with baby steps. Losing DJax hurt pretty bad. Roberts needs to be released, now. Not sure if Ross, Crowder orGrant can play better or not, but they can;t play worse. 

This is a young team. They are going to make mistakes. This was several players first NFL action. You can continue to blame the coach if you want, but at some point the players have to take ownership. 

The D played really well against a good Miami Off. They are expected by some to challenge for a SB!  We went toe to toe with them! D kept them to 10 pts!  Would have been nice to get those picks but that's not what cost us the gm. It was STs and penalties. 

I am looking forward to the RAMs next week. They are good D but not a good Off. e should be able to got to Foles early and often. 

Goskins- I agree with you on Cousins. 8 qbs had 2 or more interceptions yesterday with both Mannings and Wilson being some of them, so I guess TheyareBack feels they should be replaced too. The 1st interception no one was open so Cousins moved the pocket to the right and his receivers were standing still, not coming back to him which is what they are supposed to do, that Corner hid behind our receiver(Reed I believe) and got the pick for a good play, Cousins should have thrown it away. The 2nd pick was just an amazing play that still looked like he was out of bounds, just an amazing play.

Loved the run game too. With that mammoth defensive line they had we sure ran the ball right thru them. Alfred looked great and our revamped oline look pretty good in protection with only 1 sack on Cousins while our defense had 3 sacks on Tannehill.

Special Teams had 1 bad play that could be the worst we've seen. Returner ran straight up the field untouched.Ridiculous penalties, 11 for 88 yds., has to stop.

Time of possession Dolphins 22:06 Redskins 37:54.

F'ing special teams... again. How?  

My takeaways:

-Front 7 was a pleasure to watch

-Preston Smith needs to be the starter, Trent needs to be 3rd string

-We will be a better team if Amerson doesn't see the field ever again

-Cousins picks hurt us, as one gave them points and the other took points away from us

-OL was unreal good against arguably the best front 7 in football

-So many more injuries, hopefully none are serious

-Run game was great even with 8 in the box

-Zero 2nd half points is unacceptable, I don't care what team we're playing

-I don't like seeing Chris Thompson run the ball. He takes hits like RG with that explosion effect.

This is a tough one to swallow because we were the better team yesterday. I can honestly say that wasn't said once after any of our hundred losses last year... Unfortunately, that W column remains at 0 and all of the ignorant haters will only see that number.

OK - reality time.

There is a lot more talent on this team than last year. The O-line, the D, and the running games are in the top 5 group.

Even with this increase in talent the Redskins lost the game in a repeat of last year's mistakes (penalties and turnovers) at inopportune times. Until they prove they can quit beating their self there is no reason to believe this team will be any better than last year. It is not for us to prove, it is their time to prove they are not incompetent.

Are Cousins interceptions serious, YES because they are an identical repeat of last year's problems - basically nothing changed. I watch the game on the Internet (a Texas option for the Redskins for the most part) so I can easily go back and watch his interceptions and missed passes in detail. 10 + % of his passes are thrown to a spot that the receiver and the defensive back have an equal chance of catching it. Therefore, it is justifiable to say it is questionable if he fixed anything from last year's disaster. Time for him to prove he is better and one more week is enough before giving McCoy another chance. While McCoy is the least physically talented of the 3 QBs, he is by far the one most likely QB not to be the cause of a loss, and with the talent on this team that is the most important QB trait.

Mistakes (interceptions, penalties, and fumbles) are a numbers game controlled by the discipline instilled by the head coach - Miami won the game, not with talent but by running up a huge advantage in the mistakes area. This is the start of a 2 year Gruden head coach problem, it is time for him to fix it or fire him.

Sorry folks, after 20 years of Redskins losers it is time for a fix. The thing that makes it so hard take is this team has quite a bit of talent - that is the good sign that our new GM is a solution. 

F'ing special teams... again. How?  

My takeaways:

-Front 7 was a pleasure to watch

-Preston Smith needs to be the starter, Trent needs to be 3rd string

-We will be a better team if Amerson doesn't see the field ever again

-Cousins picks hurt us, as one gave them points and the other took points away from us

-OL was unreal good against arguably the best front 7 in football

-So many more injuries, hopefully none are serious

-Run game was great even with 8 in the box

-Zero 2nd half points is unacceptable, I don't care what team we're playing

-I don't like seeing Chris Thompson run the ball. He takes hits like RG with that explosion effect.

This is a tough one to swallow because we were the better team yesterday. I can honestly say that wasn't said once after any of our hundred losses last year... Unfortunately, that W column remains at 0 and all of the ignorant haters will only see that number.

Agree the picks are not good, but I don't think either gave them points. They turned the ball over on downs after the first pick. The second did take pts away from us. But in fairness that second pick was just a great play by the defender. That's going to happen sometimes. Not to mention, I think the WR could have fought for the ball a bit more, or at least knocked it out.

Remember Breeland had the one gm suspension. That and DHall getting injured early are the only reasons Amerson saw much playing time. It should be better next week when we get Breeland back.

As pissed as I am at STs, I will say this a group that has not played much together and lost the two best palyers - N. Paul and Hayward.

GO - you are trying to be reasonable and that is normally a fantastic approach. However, 20 years of losing makes it a time for solutions. Sorry buddy but it is time for a problem fix, my patience is gone and that is a far better thing than having the season gone, which will occur soon if we do not fix the problems - just like in the past.

GO - you are trying to be reasonable and that is normally a fantastic approach. However, 20 years of losing makes it a time for solutions. Sorry buddy but it is time for a problem fix, my patience is gone.

I am sorry but I just don't agree with that assessment. I believe now more than ever we need to have some patience. Kirk needs all the time he needs to prove one way or the other. Pulling him after 2 gms will not help anyone. You have to look at the plays and determine how they happened.

I have the same thing here so I can watch the games over. That 1st pick he has to throw the ball away. But in fairness the D stopped Miami on 4 downs and Kirk took us straight down for a TD. That's something that would not have happened last year.

The 2nd one, he threw the ball so his WR could go get it. Many QBs do this. The WRs ask for it. Garcon (?) got in =just the wrong position and could not get the ball. The defender just made a great play.

It's not just being reasonable, it's being realistic. Trust me I hate losing as much as anyone! But we just need to give our guys some time to come together. Now, if after 7 or 8 gms he has not gotten any better, then yes it will be time to look in another direction. Or if he starts having 5 pick gms then move on.

Go - sorry 20 years of patience haven't brought us anything positive, time for something else. Losing is not fun, time to demand a winner and that starts with dumping losers.

What makes this so important is that the Redskins were by far the better team yesterday and they still were losers. That is an easily fixable problem - remove the losing parts, quickly, otherwise it is a disease that will spread making patience the biggest obstacle to success.

Redskins released Kai Forbath and that makes me happy!!!

Works for me! I wanted him gone last year. He is a n ice story but he is only half a kicker. Anyone who thinks this is simply because he missed a FG yesterday is just being an idiot.

If the report is true, it's because he cannot get the ball into the EZ on KOs. We put our D in holes so much of the time allowing long KO returns. More importantly, KO returners will still try to bring it out even deep in the EZ, we should be getting some 12 yds tackles.

My only problem is they should have had this settled before the season started. They were obviously on the edge of making a decision. I personally would have preferred to keep Hocker from last year - BTW Hocker was 4-4 for NO yesterday.

Works for me! I wanted him gone last year. He is a n ice story but he is only half a kicker. Anyone who thinks this is simply because he missed a FG yesterday is just being an idiot.

If the report is true, it's because he cannot get the ball into the EZ on KOs. We put our D in holes so much of the time allowing long KO returns. More importantly, KO returners will still try to bring it out even deep in the EZ, we should be getting some 12 yds tackles.

My only problem is they should have had this settled before the season started. They were obviously on the edge of making a decision. I personally would have preferred to keep Hocker from last year - BTW Hocker was 4-4 for NO yesterday.

Yes, Hocker is doing well in Nawlins and he beat out Gibson who had a workout with the Skins this morning. I think he's a FSU kicker. Opposing teams just want to ram the ball down our throat when we kick off or punt. Agreed that it wasn't so much about accuracy as it was about giving opposing ST's a break, it seems like teams start at the 35 yard line when they run out of their endzone.

Go- this is weird, you and I are agreeing on a whole lot.

Whyyyy are we cutting Forbath??? Honest question. 

Go- yesterday the D wasn't once put in a bad position because of Kai's kickoffs... I understand he has a history of it, but it wasn't an issue yesterday.

CT- I think that 1 kick where it didn't get 20 feet off the ground and bounced from the 25 yard line to the 5 before it was picked up pretty much sealed Forbath's fate.

Whyyyy are we cutting Forbath??? Honest question. 

Go- yesterday the D wasn't once put in a bad position because of Kai's kickoffs... I understand he has a history of it, but it wasn't an issue yesterday.

That's a fair question. I too am curious in terms of the timing. But the missed FG and then the dribbled KO may have done it. Also, the fact that they did't feel comfortable going for the long FG early in the game could have factored into it. In the end, they were clearly on the fence with him and his overall performance was apparently not what they wanted. 

I definitely agree the timing is a bit odd, but I have no problem with the decision over all. 

Defense kicked some tail Sunday IMO. The secondary was kind of shaky, and if D. Hall is going down like he is, the Skins need to start looking into any free agent CBs there are available. Also, Snyder please send the secondary to "how to catch" class.

B. Breeland was on 1 gm suspension. He will be back next week. Emerson will be buried in the depth pretty soon. Not sure I would call the secondary shaky though. They pretty much shut Tannehill and Co down. Only 1 TD the entire gm! No TDs in the 2nd half. I like the attitude they played with. 

We need to be that kind of aggressive on Off too. I think we will get there. It takes an awful lot of nasty to get that many rushing yrs against that Dline. Scherff is the real deal! 

Good people are trying to convince themselves that they saw good things happen yesterday! I am not good people, the team is still lousy and undisciplined.

There were some good things, a young O-Line and running game that took it to a top 3, if not the best, interior 7 Defenders. A D that played well. Depth was apparent, something winners need. So you can't say it was all bad, because that is way wrong.

There were problems - like you said discipline is still missing and since it was true all last year and it is a head coach problem it is time to fix it. If Gruden doesn't solve that problem in the next couple of games let's hope he is fired because he will obviously be incapable of fixing his deficiencies.

Cousins needs to improve, there is no doubt about that. I for one will let it go for half the season, unless he blows up the interceptions.

I believe he will need this time, hasn't been with the first stringers all that long. For what 2 or 3 weeks?

The penalties are rediculace. This is on Gruden and the players both. I for one don't wish to have a new coach in the middle of the season, but my patience is very thin. Also do not know what to even think about the special teams.

Just had to get this off my chest.

HTTR!

Maybe we should release the punter as well. You know....for not making the TD saving tackle yesterday.

Cutting a kicker who has an 88% lifetime average for a kicker who's been cut by 2 teams in 2 years is a major mistake & I hope all of you Forbath haters are finally happy. You got your wish. But what I would like to know is what are you people going to say when this Hopkins guy puts the ball in the end zone on kick-offs but can't kick the game winner?

HTTR!!!

Here is some info on our next kicker:

Hopkins leaves Florida State as the most productive kicker in FBS history, scoring a record 466 total points over four seasons. He finished his senior year with a school record 140 points, and his 88 career made field goals set new Florida State and ACC records.

In terms of extra points, Hopkins made 145 straight—the sixth longest streak in NCAA history.

He was a finalist for the Lou Groza award—given to the nation's best kicker—in both his junior and senior seasons. 

Finally, Hopkins delivered 10 tackles, including four solo stops, while covering kickoffs. He is a willing and active tackler who ran the 40-yard dash at 4.74 seconds at the NFL combine. 

A consistent approach and a powerful, accurate leg give Hopkins a chance to be a productive NFL kicker for 10-plus seasons. His ability to lift the football off the ground and both boom and place kickoffs are other pluses that should make Hopkins the first kicker to hear his name called during the 2013 NFL draft. Productive but still improving, he is the safest option at the position in this year's class.

Here is some info on our next kicker:

Hopkins leaves Florida State as the most productive kicker in FBS history, scoring a record 466 total points over four seasons. He finished his senior year with a school record 140 points, and his 88 career made field goals set new Florida State and ACC records.

In terms of extra points, Hopkins made 145 straight—the sixth longest streak in NCAA history.

He was a finalist for the Lou Groza award—given to the nation's best kicker—in both his junior and senior seasons. 

Finally, Hopkins delivered 10 tackles, including four solo stops, while covering kickoffs. He is a willing and active tackler who ran the 40-yard dash at 4.74 seconds at the NFL combine. 

A consistent approach and a powerful, accurate leg give Hopkins a chance to be a productive NFL kicker for 10-plus seasons. His ability to lift the football off the ground and both boom and place kickoffs are other pluses that should make Hopkins the first kicker to hear his name called during the 2013 NFL draft. Productive but still improving, he is the safest option at the position in this year's class.

That's all fine & dandy but.....how many FG's has he made as a pro? How many has Forbath made?

HTTR!!!

Archived